Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wet coats

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We do a lot of stopping overnight at pubs and Britstops so we can’t wind out the awning or have anything outside the van. This is our first winter in the Cali and I’m trying to find a way to deal with wet coats. Anyone got any tips or ideas for dealing with them inside the van?

We do a lot of stopping overnight at pubs and Britstops so we can’t wind out the awning or have anything outside the van. This is our first winter in the Cali and I’m trying to find a way to deal with wet coats. Anyone got any tips or ideas for dealing with them inside the van?

I have a line attached to the poptop safety net holes
Hang stuff off that, with a bag if they are really wet.

Let them drip out under the awning? When dry enough, hang them inside.
Oh, when you pull in the awning wet, don't forget to wind it out when dry, or you get the lovely mold spots like on mine.

Stay in the pub until they are dry ;)
Winter Cali camping isn't so easy when you aren't on a site, try and dry each coat near the heater outlet if possible.

Still waiting for our Cali but we have been pondering the issue of wet boots and coats.

Day outs - We have considered buying some kind of *watertight* storage boxes that we can dump the wet boots and coats in until we can get home and let them dry out.

Staying overnight somewhere - I think we are going to be buying a cheap small quick pop up tent to dump wet clothes boots etc to keep the Cali condensation free.

Still not decided......

We tend to dry them off with small microfibre towel - it’s very effective and the microfibre towels dry dry quickly in the van.

good tip re microfibre towel... our Cali coming in around 3 wks...and we will have the same issue. when we hired one for wild wet and windy weekend recently, we thought this would be a problem, but just hung them on back of the front seats and they dried quite quick. do intend to have a box in the back tho, just for wellies and muddy shoes.

I have a line attached to the poptop safety net holes
Hang stuff off that, with a bag if they are really wet.
Thanks SSD. It’s a real conundrum as if it’s raining badly the poptop is down. We have a Cali cosy but because the top comes down when we’re away from the van - either in the pub or off for a long walk - it’s too much of a pain to keep putting it on/off.

Let them drip out under the awning? When dry enough, hang them inside.
Oh, when you pull in the awning wet, don't forget to wind it out when dry, or you get the lovely mold spots like on mine.
Looking for an idea for when you can’t roll the awning out.
I agree about the awning drying, it’s amazing when you wind it out again to dry it how much water it’s retained between the rolls!

Stay in the pub until they are dry ;)
Winter Cali camping isn't so easy when you aren't on a site, try and dry each coat near the heater outlet if possible.
It’s the only problem I can’t think of a creative solution to. It’s frustrating the hell out of me.

Still waiting for our Cali but we have been pondering the issue of wet boots and coats.

Day outs - We have considered buying some kind of *watertight* storage boxes that we can dump the wet boots and coats in until we can get home and let them dry out.

Staying overnight somewhere - I think we are going to be buying a cheap small quick pop up tent to dump wet clothes boots etc to keep the Cali condensation free.

Still not decided......
Our boots go in one of the footwells to get them out of the living/sleeping area.
Our pub stopovers are usually 2 days with a night in the middle. Don’t want the coats sitting in the wet.
Having an awning/pop up tent is a great idea if you can put one up at your location. We have a dog too and it’s great as a “buffer zone” for drying him/things off.

We tend to dry them off with small microfibre towel - it’s very effective and the microfibre towels dry dry quickly in the van.
Great idea. The towels are much easier to manage than coats and can de wrung out to get rid of most of the water (one person each end twisting (the towel, not the person twisting ).

I put an Ikea shower rail over the cab seats, each end fits in to the “circle” under the grab handles above each front door. I just slot it in and tighten the tension. I use shower hooks to hang small things and put towels over the rail.

Our last van was a Toyota Hiace with the “kitchen” at the back end, just enough space to dry stuff away from the sitting/sleeping area and access to the whole camping part from a side and back door. But then other conundrums that you don’t get with the Cali. There’s always a trade off somewhere!

We simply put the coats over the back of the front seats. Boots are placed in the side door foot well.

If particularly wet, then we put the diesel heater on....even if driving the Cali.

Everything soon dries out.

A number of C&MH sites provide a drying room on site.

Once you get over the fear that your items may be taken by another (and this has never happened!), then it becomes second nature to use the facilities provided.

If on site and is blowing or dry, then we'll use the rear bike rack to act as an airer too.

This is a good tip for showering too. ‘Dry’ your body with a very small microfibre towel which you repeatedly wring out into the drain. Then just finish off with a regular towel which hardly gets wet and dries in a flash.

Thanks SSD. It’s a real conundrum as if it’s raining badly the poptop is down. We have a Cali cosy but because the top comes down when we’re away from the van - either in the pub or off for a long walk - it’s too much of a pain to keep putting it on/off.

Thats one of the reasons why I’ve never had a Poptop cover. Total waste of time...
Managed 7 years without one in all weather including the Alps in winter.

Boots could go in a 'Muddy Boot Bag' priced from £5 up to £40ish

Coats could go in a storage bag such as

Looks good, you can pour any “drippage” out of the bottom I should think. Thanks BJB.

Hello Elly, just left my wet coat here this evening like this:
Cali Coat Hanger.jpg
You can use it even when chair is swiveled
If soaking wet I hang them on my side rail, dripping into the footwell:
Both positions take maximum profit of the heater outlets. You get the coats dry and warm in very short time, unlike when coming out of plastic bags.

We shake ours, quick wipe down with microfibre towel/cloth then hang on back of swivelled front seats. If really wet we will put a microfibre towel on the floor to catch any drips. We also put microfibre towels in the footwell for the wet dog coats.

We thought long and hard about this before our year away. Eventually we bought eight Brandrup hooks and installed them, four by the sliding door for waterproofs and four the other side of our kitchenless Beach for fleeces. Muddy walking boots go on a tray and slide under the van.

I modified a hanging rail to fit behind the table in the sliding door. It then goes between the ‘Jesus’ bars in the front with the seats facing either way. I also modified a dehumidifier to run of 12V, which I keep running for most of the winter. With the heater on things are dry and toasty in no time.
65D53EAA-9EF8-4843-A27E-A7E0A27DE529.jpeg
F6EFCAF6-FA24-415A-9461-02D2ADB67AE7.jpeg
8E14CDFC-ADDF-4784-8100-5CF728AE0287.jpeg
C6662947-C8CB-4E05-8248-EFFEE95B6475.jpeg

On the back of the front seats and when they are turned around any drips fall on footwell rubber mats - works reasonably well.

Back