Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealing with wet clothes and a dog, any tips?

Toothlessjon

Toothlessjon

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I was out in the fields walking the dog yesterday and got absolutely drenched. I have a Labrador who just loves getting soaked, so he loved it.

Anyway my question is do you have any tips for coping with wet clothes, towels and a dog etc when in your California. Yesterday I ended up with 4 wet towels, wet trousers, saturated wellingtons and a soaked coat ( you get my drift). If we had just a couple of wet days the van would be full of wet gear with no way of drying it out and likely condensation everywhere.

I realise I could store the items in sealed bags or a box in a driveway awning until we move on, but What would be your advice (other than getting rid of the dog), especially if off grid?

I was out in the fields walking the dog yesterday and got absolutely drenched. I have a Labrador who just loves getting soaked, so he loved it.

Anyway my question is do you have any tips for coping with wet clothes, towels and a dog etc when in your California. Yesterday I ended up with 4 wet towels, wet trousers, saturated wellingtons and a soaked coat ( you get my drift). If we had just a couple of wet days the van would be full of wet gear with no way of drying it out and likely condensation everywhere.

I realise I could store the items in sealed bags or a box in a driveway awning until we move on, but What would be your advice (other than getting rid of the dog), especially if off grid?
Drying clothes when camping in the rain is not easy. At one campsite we managed to borrow a clothes airer.

We don't have dogs but with 4 people we find the rain throws quite a spanner in the works.

We have (so far) always had our event shelter up so have somewhere to "chuck" things although this is usually in a heap and therefore they don't dry out.

I recently was chatting to someone who had one of these in their awning: It is a small wardrobe from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/wardrobes/free-standing-wardrobes/vuku-wardrobe-white-art-80331973/?cid=gb|ps|pla||||&gclid=Cj0KCQjwov3nBRDFARIsANgsdoGxO86Eqzt069VjKI1PgTu8UkVPpuai2OXzPBRurE1JhAlfJspQRH0aAhusEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We've just got one but have yet to use it. I bought it with the idea of clothes storage for long trips or having somewhere to hang the wet coats so they don't make everything else wet but you could use it as a wet storage area for all the wet stuff?? You would still need an awning though as the material isn't waterproof....we'll see how we get on with it!

fullsizeoutput_3d04.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely need the awning then, lol. I guess a small airer is a necessary
We don't have dogs but with 4 people we find the rain throws quite a spanner in the works.

We have always had our event shelter up so always have somewhere to "chuck" things although this is usually in a heap and therefore they don't dry out.

I recently was chatting to someone who had one of these in their awning: It is a small wardrobe from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/wardrobes/free-standing-wardrobes/vuku-wardrobe-white-art-80331973/?cid=gb|ps|pla||||&gclid=Cj0KCQjwov3nBRDFARIsANgsdoGxO86Eqzt069VjKI1PgTu8UkVPpuai2OXzPBRurE1JhAlfJspQRH0aAhusEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We've just got one but have yet to use it. I bought it with the idea of clothes storage for long trips or having somewhere to hang the wet coats so they don't make everything else wet but you could use it as a wet storage area for all the wet stuff?? You would still need an awning though as the material isn't waterproof....we'll se how we get on with it!

View attachment 46106
Seems like a good idea, and gives things half a chance to dry out or least breath a bit.

I'd keep anything wet outside of the van. You need air flow to evaporate the moisture off the clothing. If it's still raining, I'd hang it under the wind-out awning, but it won't dry quickly if the air is cold or moist.
Best bet if you know you're going to get wet is to use a lightweight waterproof shell that can be shaken and put into a plastic bag. Keep the dog outside... :rolleyes: until dry...

Last edited:
I wonder if you could divert the hot air from the heater into something like LemonDrops wardrobe? I see that some use a flexible pipe to divert the hot air into the upper bed.

I wonder if you could divert the hot air from the heater into something like LemonDrops wardrobe? I see that some use a flexible pipe to divert the hot air into the upper bed.
You would need to have the moist hot air escape out of it but that should work

That’s interesting, Do you not get any problems with mould or d you keep them damp just when travelling?
They are meant to be kept damp, like a chamois cloth. I'd think they'd get your dog pretty dry fairly quickly - it does work on my hairy legs...:eek:

We usually just hang wet towels etc on the wind out awning if its a lot of wet stuff. If its particularly cool and humid it may not help. We have hung stuff in a driveaway awning helped a little but not as well as the wind out.

Window open slightly and parking heater on helps dry anything inside the van.

They are meant to be kept damp, like a chamois cloth. I'd think they'd get your dog pretty dry fairly quickly - it does work on my hairy legs...:eek:
I’ll buy one and give it a try, cheers.

PS have you ever thought about a leg wax, lol.

Dog bags for the two dogs. Wet clothes outside the awning.

We have two dogs and camp at very wet, muddy dog shows most weeks. Keeping stuff dry can be tough, you have to be well organised.

Aquasorb type towels are very good
Dogs have two equifleece coats each, muddy one for outside, clean one for inside.
INKA seat covers
Van fully carpeted with vetbed
Lots and lots of micro fibre towels
Hang everything, everywhere and anywhere
Parking heater, full blast, is excellent for drying anything ....perfect for wet socks...but keep the van well ventilated Lol

Vetbed was the best tip our breeder gave us, I love the stuff as does the dog. If anybody is thinking about using it, make sure you clean out your washing machine filter after the first couple of washes.

A tip from drying yourself in a campsite shower might help...use a mini towel to 90% dry yourself, wringing it out several times, rather like a chamois leather on a car. Then do the last 10% with your proper towel that has to hang in the van to dry. Perhaps this could be applied to the dog and wiping the excess water off your jackets?
Otherwise go self employed with a crap income but in a job that allows you to dive off and go camping as soon as you see a good forecast.
(don't then knacker the plan by dating someone with a proper job who books leave 6 months ahead).

A tip from drying yourself in a campsite shower might help...use a mini towel to 90% dry yourself, wringing it out several times, rather like a chamois leather on a car. Then do the last 10% with your proper towel that has to hang in the van to dry. Perhaps this could be applied to the dog and wiping the excess water off your jackets?
Otherwise go self employed with a crap income but in a job that allows you to dive off and go camping as soon as you see a good forecast.
(don't then knacker the plan by dating someone with a proper job who books leave 6 months ahead).
Lol.

Back