Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wet towels

Hung over the unrotated drivers seat with the heater on.
I started a thread about disposable biodegradable towels and many people use micro fleece travel or Hamman towels which are thin cotton and dry quickly. I have both hamman and disposables and assess the situation at the time..

It was a wet and windy night, so not much drying out of doors! In my caravan I used to use clothes pegs to peg wet towels between high level lockers, , worked a treat. But there's nowhere to peg to in the Cali!
I could emulate my swimmer grandson who never uses a towel at all, just shakes a bit and puts his clothes on!

I got a cord between the plastic hooks in the pop-top , the hooks are to attatch the child safety net witch we obvious don't use due to lack of childeren.....:D

Works well , the vents and open windows dry things pretty quick and when the heater is on even quicker as the heat goes up in the pop-top ...
Things you hang up are not in the way and you can leave them hanging while sitting below .
We dry towels afther shower or handwash of socks and small things there...
Must have posted a picture of it in some of my topics.

Offcoarse when the weater is good i also have a cord or some bungees to go between whatever availeble on site.
Some campsites have dry-poles....

You also could use a cord/bungee between the handles on the ceeling left/right in the cabin

For the kitchentowel we have the Brandrup cord above the kitchenunit (expencive for what it is but usefull)

Last edited:
I got microfibre towels from Decathlon. They're brilliant - don't get sopping wet, stick 'em over the steering wheel or lie them across the back of the stuff in the back or hang them from one of the grab handles, and they're dry in a trice. Even just fold them and leave them on top of the worktop. In no time at all you can put them away in a cupboard. Best buy ever.

It was a wet and windy night, so not much drying out of doors! In my caravan I used to use clothes pegs to peg wet towels between high level lockers, , worked a treat. But there's nowhere to peg to in the Cali!
I could emulate my swimmer grandson who never uses a towel at all, just shakes a bit and puts his clothes on!

I have found some good hairdresser sized paper towels that actually can be used to dry the whole body. Ok not as well as a conventional towel but well enough and can also be used in the van for muddy shoes. I think @GrannyJen also uses similar.
The bigger ones are excellent but more expensive and take slightly more storage.

I got microfibre towels from Decathlon. They're brilliant - don't get sopping wet, stick 'em over the steering wheel or lie them across the back of the stuff in the back or hang them from one of the grab handles, and they're dry in a trice. Even just fold them and leave them on top of the worktop. In no time at all you can put them away in a cupboard. Best buy ever.

Us too! Lovely not to have damp towels draped around

I use both disposable and microfibre. Disposable are great for those really dirty jobs such as cleaning mud off shoes etc.

Microfibre are great for drying me, and for part-drying freshly washed clothes. They pack up really small no dry really quickly.

I usually drape mine over the headrest of one of the front seats. With the heater on low overnight it's usually dry by morning. My husband generally just folds it into a nice tight bundle and wonders why it's still damp when he goes off for his shower :)

I read a tip to part-dry yourself with something approaching a flannel sized towel, that you continue to ring out until you've done all your body. Then go to work with your proper towel that therefore doesn't get properly wet and is much easier to dry.
I've yet to try it, as my (now 'old') van had loads of space for drying, but I'll give it a go when I get my T5 and the weather is grim.

Hanging from the pull down bar for the roof. Perfect drying place in a Beach.

Same here.
Always dry when we need to use them

Usually, hanging under the open tailgate. On a bungee cord with hooks at each end, which I made up to fit. It goes from one gas strut to the other, through the tailgate grab handle. Our microfibre towels dry off partially on that while we're having breakfast and packing up the van to move on for the day. Then the nearly-dry towels just get draped over the backs of the front seats to finish them off on the first leg of the day's drive.

I read a tip to part-dry yourself with something approaching a flannel sized towel, that you continue to ring out until you've done all your body. Then go to work with your proper towel that therefore doesn't get properly wet and is much easier to dry.
I've yet to try it, as my (now 'old') van had loads of space for drying, but I'll give it a go when I get my T5 and the weather is grim.

I was taught this trick too and it works a treat - microfbre towels are barely damp when you get to the towelling off stge (especially in lovely warm campsite shower blocks :thumb

I believe that was me. It's works even better with a microfibre towel than an old fashioned cotton one. Most of the time you hardly need the towel.

The key has be not getting the towel sopping wet in the first place - I favour The Grandson Method personally, but huge cotton bath sheet towels will be banned when I am King.

Last edited:
Bike rack
Off topic, I know, but when I have been cycle touring, I have rigged up a double twisted bungee between the rear of my pannier rack and rear of saddle and shoved washed socks, shorts and t-shirts in the bungee twists.

Compared to a bicycle, there are a plethora of places to dry in a California.

Another option (if raining) is laying them across the dash board, residual heat soon dries our microfibre ones. Another +1 for Decathlon towels too.

We've got microfibre towls so they don't take much drying. If we have the awning out we hand them from the rails. If it's wet or the awning isn't out we put some thin cord between the loops in the pop up bed area (for the safety net) and hang them from there. They dry very quickly.

We use large microfibres and hang them from the kitchen, under the glass cover, when driving. Dry by the first stop.

Back