Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We've only gone and done it....

Nice! What type of Cali. New? Spec? Tell us the details!

Great news, I remember that first day and the excitement like it was yesterday!

Welcome! Sounds great and please report. I am sure for every questions there will be an answer here...

Thank you all for your welcomes!

Managed to pick up an ex-demo with everything we wanted (and more). The only thing we're missing is a satnav but from reading on here it looks like there are options with either retro fitting or external devices.

Would welcome your thoughts....

Thank you all for your welcomes!

Managed to pick up an ex-demo with everything we wanted (and more). The only thing we're missing is a satnav but from reading on here it looks like there are options with either retro fitting or external devices.

Did you make sure the front seats swivel?

Oh yes, one of the first questions before we went to view it!

Re satnavs: we don't have built-in one on our Cali or any of our other cars and we're quite happy that way. We've always found it better to have 'suction-cup' aftermarket satnavs. Pros include lower cost, easy/cheap to update maps for world-wide, and can take away in a bag for use in hire cars. Cons - well okay they are a bit ungainly with the power lead etc etc.

Others will see it quite differently!

If you do decide to buy an external satnav - we've had both Garmins and TomToms, both makes have pros and cons. Our current 'best' model, which we use on proper road trips, is a TomTom GO 6100 which came with worldwide mapping and free updates, for about ÂŁ270. It uses a built-in SIM card for receiving traffic updates, which is the best solution on those devices although still not as traffic-savvy as Google Maps, in the UK anyway.

We keep a couple of more basic Garmins in gloveboxes in case we don't have the 'best' TomTom to hand.

If you've got a reasonably modern phone Google Maps does the sat nav job fine. Connect via Bluetooth and the woman will speak through the van speakers. And you can control her by voice too, for example "ok Google navigate home" on Android.

Hi all, so after hours of reading these threads we've found the Cali for us which we're picking up at the weekend. So exciting!!

Get ready for all our questions......
Welcome from a fellow "Midlander"! Look forwards to hearing about your experiences.

If you've got a reasonably modern phone Google Maps does the sat nav job fine. Connect via Bluetooth and the woman will speak through the van speakers. And you can control her by voice too, for example "ok Google navigate home" on Android.

Good point. Yes the days of dedicated satnavs may be numbered. And as I said before, Google Maps seems to be tops for traffic info.

At the moment though, a downside of using a smartphone is that the mapping has to be 'served' to the device over the mobile data connection as you go along*, which can be a limitation in remote areas, and of course if you have a limited phone data allowance.

* Okay I know you can cache maps locally onto your phone/device for offline use, but it's pretty faffy and you have to do it in advance for the areas you want.

I can also use voice commands, although "Okay Mrs VD navigate to the Red Lion" seems to invoke a lot of noisy feedback.:(

At the moment though, a downside of using a smartphone is that the mapping has to be 'served' to the device over the mobile data connection as you go along*, which can be a limitation in remote areas, and of course if you have a limited phone data allowance.

* Okay I know you can cache maps locally onto your phone/device for offline use, but it's pretty faffy and you have to do it in advance for the areas you want.

Agree - the lack of a mobile data connection could be an issue. I've got a paper map for backup in remote places but usually there are so few roads that you can work it out anyway or even use road signs :)

There are of course dedicated sat nav apps which work offline but I haven't used any for a while. I do have OS 25k maps on my phone if things get really desperate!

Yes, saving Google maps for offline use can take an awful lot space for a long trip. Luckily my cheap and cheerful Moto E has a slot for an SD card. :thumb

I also agree that saving maps requires a bit of planning but using your phone has the added benefit of being able to input all the routes and stops from your lounge rather than having to type them in while sat in your Cali. Though I guess portable TomTom users can do that too.

Hi all, so after hours of reading these threads we've found the Cali for us which we're picking up at the weekend. So exciting!!

Get ready for all our questions......
Took me more than a year reading before making my mind. I envy you guys. :D

Took me more than a year reading before making my mind. I envy you guys. :D
Agree, we have also hired a T5 and a motorhome over the last year to get some real experience - easy decision!