Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What’s included, what to buy ASAP?

A driveaway awning, although more expensive, gives you the option of connecting in bad weather or when you want the extra “tunnel” space. There’s also the ability to roll & tie back the tunnel, so you have more choices and the best of both worlds.

That's all well and good but would you classify it as a "what to buy ASAP" piece of kit?

Moving the mattress up and down would be a right pain, I think: big mattress, small hole. Why not try a duvet to sleep on, the cover also means you don’t need a bottom sheet. A duvet is easy to store either flat or rolled on the back shelf.
Thanks for the advice. We’ll pack an extra duvet instead of a bottom sheet.

Thanks for the advice. We’ll pack an extra duvet instead of a bottom sheet.
We just use one of the Double Duvets that you zip together for winter. We sleep on one and one on top. If its Spring/autumn sleep on the thick one and in winter sleep on the thin one. In Hot weather then we sleep on the thin with just a sheet over. The Duvet fits a Standard Double bed size. With use of the Heater when required it has done for us for the last 4 + years.

At risk of stating the obvious, a 'driveway' awning is only useful if you intend to come back to the same campsite, ie you expect to make multi-night stays in the same place. So before investing in one, you may want to work out through a bit of experience how you are actually going to use your van.

We almost never stay more than one night in one place on a trip so a driveaway awning would be a bit pointless in our case. For us, getting side panels for the cassette awning would make more sense, although so far we haven't bothered.

The same applies to a whole lot of Cali 'extras' - essential for some people but not for others, depending completely on their habitual modes of travel.

As for mattress toppers - we've never felt the need for them, while others feel they are essential.

My 2 cents. We use the wheel chocks about 50% of the time (on the continent) For an awning, the most we have used in 2 years is the Thule sun screen front panel, mostly for privacy, but also to hold the roll-out awning in light wind. We rarely stay more than 3 days anywhere, and if we did, might have bought a caravan instead...

On the subject of bedding, we found, in 'Dunelm' what they describe as a 3/4 fitted sheet 25cm. Size approx 120 x 190 x 25cm. Fits the lower comfort mattress in our Ocean perfectly, and dead easy to put on too!
For plates / dishes we bought Ikea 'Oftast' white tempered glass - light, durable and only £0.50 each item!!

We've got a drive away awning, but hardly ever use it. Instead, we use a Khyam toilet tent which is really easy to put up and takes all the over spill from the van, (including the Portapotti which is a must if you're of a certain age!) well as marking your pitch. We also take a large bottle of water , which we put in the fridge so that we have fresh water to use for a cuppa, rather than travel with water in the onboard tank.

We’ve never felt a need for levellers yet, in well over 500 nights away on all sorts of pitches. Some sort of slope is common but it’s almost always possible to park with no side to side tilt. The bed is fine and comfortable as long as the head end is higher than the foot.

Think your list is pretty spot on, aside from the drive away not being mandatory.

Would add bellows bungee (from club shop) to ensure the roof doesn’t get caught. Matches / lighter for the gas rings as it’s easier than the piezoelectric thing.

Not things to buy, but practice before your first trip:
- roof up / down. Open the windows, either check yourself or get someone to watch the bellows don’t get caught when putting down.

- turning the front seats, especially drivers seat. It’s an art, watch carefully to ensure you dont scratch the plastic

- closing the front blinds. I would recommend a window wrap from club shop but it’s not essential, just easier.

- inside table can be using as a prep space using the supplied strap that goes on the rear headrest. Took me a year to find that one out.

- awning legs. The locking mechanism feels like it will break. It won’t.

Enjoy it all.

In 6 years have never used levellers or chocks. Drive Away Awning twice once in UK when the Jurrasic Coast was particularly soggy and on a longish 1 base holiday in Europe both when my daughter was younger and the dog friskier. Nowadays we do grand tours staying 1 or 2 nights before moving on so travel very light. Fold up bbq, mini coffee press, pop up strainer, perspex wine glasses! Enjoy

We also take a large bottle of water , which we put in the fridge so that we have fresh water to use for a cuppa, rather than travel with water in the onboard tank.
Why do you not use the water tank?

Think your list is pretty spot on, aside from the drive away not being mandatory.

Would add bellows bungee (from club shop) to ensure the roof doesn’t get caught. Matches / lighter for the gas rings as it’s easier than the piezoelectric thing.

- roof up / down. Open the windows, either check yourself or get someone to watch the bellows don’t get caught when putting down.

- turning the front seats, especially drivers seat. It’s an art, watch carefully to ensure you dont scratch the plastic

- closing the front blinds. I would recommend a window wrap from club shop but it’s not essential, just easier.

- inside table can be using as a prep space using the supplied strap that goes on the rear headrest. Took me a year to find that one out.

Enjoy it all.
Thanks for great tips.

Is a fire extinguisher mandatory? We plan to use the Cali’s kitchen for hot drinks and meals.

Plus one for bellows bungee
Would also add anti slip mats from club shop - inexpensive but stop everything sliding on shelves :thumb

Like this. Can’t see the strap in the picture but you attach the strap under the table and it goes around the headrest and then you have another kitchen counter

All good advice. In a Cali, space is at an absolute premium; we've evolved a mantra that, wherever possible 'if it goes in, it must serve at least two purposes'. Also, bucket - get a big one, but collapsible. Ours folds flat and takes up next to no space.
Enjoy your new 'transport of delight' to quote Flanders and Swann.

Enjoy it all.
Thank you for the great advice.

View attachment 46323
Like this. Can’t see the strap in the picture but you attach the strap under the table and it goes around the headrest and then you have another kitchen counter
OMG. I would have to totally cover the bench seat in waterproof protection, I’m such a messy cook. I would have ingredients all over the place! Good idea though, Baycatone.

The best advice I could give is to look on campsites for other canpervans and stroll over and introduce yourself. (Being wise as to when it’s a good time!)
Almost invariably, if you flatter the owners about their van and say you’re new to this life, they’ll share little tips. Only ever met one grumpy Cali owner and got loads of practical advice about what to get and what to steer clear of.

The best advice I could give is to look on campsites for other canpervans and stroll over and introduce yourself.
Thank you Timø, I’m looking forward to this new adventure.

Back