Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential things to buy now the van is ordered?

5 years. As it’s our first ever campervan, we will keep it at least 5 years. Seems a reasonable amount of time to keep it, whether we love it or not. We may upgrade after then. So 5 years reasonably worry free, which is one of the reasons I’m not put off by the electric roof.
hello, extended warranty can help you save money when it is needed but no warranty in the world can help you when you have a broken electro-hydraulic roof while traveling ... and can go home and have it repaired in the vw garage under warranty. Hence for me only a manual roof, but each has his choice and idea about this. Many say that it is not common but I regularly read about problems with this roof and I do not want this. Enough other things that can break.
Enough about this, on to the key question: what else to bring?
There are already many sensible items listed here to take with you (ramps, electricity cable, water supply tool, small brush,...)
For the rest I can only say that you will take a lot with you and leave it at home later. Over and over. We keep as a rule: if we did not use it during a year, it will fly out (+ many things must be able to be used in two ways).
If you say 5 years and then maybe an upgrade, what upgrade will that be? Now you ordered a ocean 199 hp, 4motion... ;)

Greetings and happy waiting for your ocean.

Last edited:
I had the same 4 year warranty. Unfortunately if you wish to extend beyond 4 years you can only max out at 5 years in total, not 6. You can then only use the normal 2 year extension (£329+VAT) from the standard 3 years, so they are not providing a reduced cost option as you wish to just pay for 1 extra year. Madness.

However i still think £395 for one extra year is ok. Nothing is going to cost less than £400 to fix, especially at VW rates! Plus if you want/have to sell in 3, or 4, years time £395 is nowt on a £50k vehicle but will make it a far more attractive purchase to someone else.

Thanks for this info, I'll be taking the option to extend the factory warranty when I collect my new Cali in January. I believe the warranty can be transferred with the sale of the vehicle too, another benefit when coming to selling the vehicle if its under 5 years old.

hello, extended warranty can help you save money when it is needed but no warranty in the world can help you when you have a broken electro-hydraulic roof while traveling ... and can go home and have it repaired in the vw garage under warranty. Hence for me only a manual roof, but each has his choice and idea about this. Many say that it is not common but I regularly read about problems with this roof and I do not want this. Enough other things that can break.
Enough about this, on to the key question: what else to bring?
There are already many sensible items listed here to take with you (ramps, electricity cable, water supply tool, small brush,...)
For the rest I can only say that you will take a lot with you and leave it at home later. Over and over. We keep as a rule: if we did not use it during a year, it will fly out (+ many things must be able to be used in two ways).
If you say 5 years and then maybe an upgrade, what upgrade will that be? Now you ordered a ocean 199 hp, 4motion... ;)

Greetings and happy waiting for your ocean.
Thanks! We will upgrade to a T8 full electric with 500 mile range ;)

Today's purchases:
IKEA single quilt covers (just right for the Silentnight topper).
Soundcore Flare waterproof bluetooth speaker (to annoy neighbouring campers)

Toying with an awning ourselves as we have a very stocky Labrador who likes some room. We were looking at the Vango Magra VW driveway awning. Have you looked at those by any chance?
I got a Vango catalogue yesterday and was looking at the Magra (and was comparing to the Kela). It looks a lovely awning - bit bigger and heavier than the Kela but a fabulous size for your dog. TBH my research has only just begun on awnings and I have about 4 months of waiting to do it in! Happy researching to you!

I got a Vango catalogue yesterday and was looking at the Magra (and was comparing to the Kela). It looks a lovely awning - bit bigger and heavier than the Kela but a fabulous size for your dog. TBH my research has only just begun on awnings and I have about 4 months of waiting to do it in! Happy researching to you!
Thanks for the reply, looks a great awning like you say. It’s quite telling that it’s sold out everywhere, not keen on the blue and orange colour scheme though, you can pick those up with a good discount at places. Enjoy your search for the awning.

Talking of ikea there were kugis boxes (one deep, one shallow) that stack ontop of each other that fit on the shelf in the kitchen. Great for storing kitchen items. The lid can act as a tray - there is a post on here about it.

Drawers under sink / bunjee cord / packing cubes (amazing to have your clothes in one place) / XL ridgemonkey /
Collapsible kettle / Wine/beer opener / fire blanket / small dustpan / first aid kit (make your own)

instead of carpets for the living area I bought a temp solution which was 2 x supersoft rubber backed (machine washable) bath mats £10ea from Sainsburys. Easy to fold away when putting the bed down and very cosy when sitting on bench. We put an old towel at the sliding door to catch grit/grass when stepping into van.

We bought a vango galli III low drive away awning. (Corridor also has 2 entrances) Look you YouTube for review. We went bigger. It does take room in boot but once up the dry space / midge free environment is lovely.

we take duvets and normal pillows also those vacuum bags to reduce pack size. Just open the valve and lie on them. It gets them quite flat.

Talking of ikea there were kugis boxes (one deep, one shallow) that stack ontop of each other that fit on the shelf in the kitchen. Great for storing kitchen items. The lid can act as a tray - there is a post on here about it.

Drawers under sink / bunjee cord / packing cubes (amazing to have your clothes in one place) / XL ridgemonkey /
Collapsible kettle / Wine/beer opener / fire blanket / small dustpan / first aid kit (make your own)

instead of carpets for the living area I bought a temp solution which was 2 x supersoft rubber backed (machine washable) bath mats £10ea from Sainsburys. Easy to fold away when putting the bed down and very cosy when sitting on bench. We put an old towel at the sliding door to catch grit/grass when stepping into van.

We bought a vango galli III low drive away awning. (Corridor also has 2 entrances) Look you YouTube for review. We went bigger. It does take room in boot but once up the dry space / midge free environment is lovely.

we take duvets and normal pillows also those vacuum bags to reduce pack size. Just open the valve and lie on them. It gets them quite flat.

Excellent info, thanks for the ideas. Bath mat solution sounds like the sensible option all round.

Great info, thanks

Things I've bought while waiting:
Duvalay mattress and fitted sheets (for lower bed)
Silentnight mattress topper to go over the Duvalay
Smoke and CO detector
907 cylinder from Chorley
VW front window deflectors
Scotchgard for the seat fabric
Sparesafe wheel lock
Brandrup thetford portapotti kit
Fiamma level-ups and bag
Brompton electric bike

I think I've been quite restrained, really...

Can I ask did you just buy a normal Smoke & CO detector ?!
Seeing as there is another thread re a fridge/battery fire that's gone to the top of my list now!!

Can I ask did you just buy a normal Smoke & CO detector ?!
Seeing as there is another thread re a fridge/battery fire that's gone to the top of my list now!!
I bought the Kidde 10SCO Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (£20 from Amazon). It gets a good review from Which. I thought the combination one would save space over two separate ones, but it turns out it's a huge beast!

I bought the Kidde 10SCO Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (£20 from Amazon). It gets a good review from Which. I thought the combination one would save space over two separate ones, but it turns out it's a huge beast!
Thank you will have to do some research on those!

Good afternoon took a trip to Attwoolls Sunday to have a look around their marvelous display in their indoor showroom. Could only see 2 out of the 3 expected contenders. Hexaway hub not there but the Magra in blue and a Galli 3 was there to play with and compare size. We too have a dog, Cocker Spaniel so space for the 2 of us and a dog and the feeling of room very important. I had gone hoping that the Magra was going to be the one for us but sadly the modern design and updates that make it better than a Galli compact fell short compared to the Galli 3 RSV low. For the extra pack size and weight we feel it is versatile and homely. Can get a sleeping pod installed and still feel like there is ample space for furniture and the pile of stuff moved out of the van. We both quickly agreed that the Galli 3 was the one . Did not go the full hog by selecting the Rhone for breathability, we do not expect a lot of south of France trips etc . More lets get one to survive the British weather and we can dry out quicker. Carpet to keep the dogs paw prints on 1 easy to clean surface and sky liners to combat the condensation, and give a great lighting effect.

A lot of places are sold out of them, found a great retailer in Cheshire with a package price to die for. Mine is ordered coming Tuesday.

Ps still spent £300 in Attwoolls on 335 cadac Magnum ramps HP etc etc

My van is being built this week if all goes to plan. does it then go to Status 30?

Good afternoon took a trip to Attwoolls Sunday to have a look around their marvelous display in their indoor showroom. Could only see 2 out of the 3 expected contenders. Hexaway hub not there but the Magra in blue and a Galli 3 was there to play with and compare size. We too have a dog, Cocker Spaniel so space for the 2 of us and a dog and the feeling of room very important. I had gone hoping that the Magra was going to be the one for us but sadly the modern design and updates that make it better than a Galli compact fell short compared to the Galli 3 RSV low. For the extra pack size and weight we feel it is versatile and homely. Can get a sleeping pod installed and still feel like there is ample space for furniture and the pile of stuff moved out of the van. We both quickly agreed that the Galli 3 was the one . Did not go the full hog by selecting the Rhone for breathability, we do not expect a lot of south of France trips etc . More lets get one to survive the British weather and we can dry out quicker. Carpet to keep the dogs paw prints on 1 easy to clean surface and sky liners to combat the condensation, and give a great lighting effect.

A lot of places are sold out of them, found a great retailer in Cheshire with a package price to die for. Mine is ordered coming Tuesday.

Ps still spent £300 in Attwoolls on 335 cadac Magnum ramps HP etc etc

My van is being built this week if all goes to plan. does it then go to Status 30?
Correct Status 30 once built.Build of mine started WK41 and VW Chat said this morning that it should be finished this week and then move to stage 30. Let’s hope that a national lockdown doesn’t stop us collecting our Cali’s !

00 = Assigned to factory order no production week scheduled.
10 = Factory ordered with production week scheduled.
20 = Factory ordered production week confirmed.
30 = In transit from factory.
36 = Vehicle in port of exit – not released
38 = Vehicle in port of exit – released to shipping
39 = Vehicle on ship
40 = Vehicle arrival at UK port
60 = Dispatched to Dealer
70 = Vehicle arrived at Dealer

Correct Status 30 once built.Build of mine started WK41 and VW Chat said this morning that it should be finished this week and then move to stage 30. Let’s hope that a national lockdown doesn’t stop us collecting our Cali’s !

00 = Assigned to factory order no production week scheduled.
10 = Factory ordered with production week scheduled.
20 = Factory ordered production week confirmed.
30 = In transit from factory.
36 = Vehicle in port of exit – not released
38 = Vehicle in port of exit – released to shipping
39 = Vehicle on ship
40 = Vehicle arrival at UK port
60 = Dispatched to Dealer
70 = Vehicle arrived at Dealer
Thank you GGD

Awning tie down kit

I shall add one more essential to the essential kit for all people getting new vans and the old ones as well - a bottle of Gummi Pflege.

Many issues reported on here with leaking roof seals etc, I think a bottle of Gummi Pflege will help keep the rubber fresh and pliable thereby reducing the chances of leaks. Has worked well for me.

The treatment areas (once every season) includes
- roof seals all around
- front rubber lip seal
- sliding window seals
- all door seals

Enjoy !
8c09c205416e41101dbc397f81fb5f43.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I shall add one more essential to the essential kit for all people getting new vans and the old ones as well - a bottle of Gummi Pflege.

Many issues reported on here with leaking roof seals etc, I think a bottle of Gummi Pflege will help keep the rubber fresh and pliable thereby reducing the chances of leaks. Has worked well for me.

The treatment areas (once every season) includes
- roof seals all around
- front rubber lip seal
- sliding window seals
- all door seals

Enjoy !
8c09c205416e41101dbc397f81fb5f43.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Interesting. I've never heard of it. Thx

Back