Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What air awnings you all using?

• Thread starter Jon Barlow T6.1
  • Start date
Gybe Bustent on a converted Transporter.
Probably not the most cost efficient family solution, but we were seduced by the looks and quality, and it fits well with the kite surf lifestyle.

I opted for the Outdoor Revolution Cayman Air. I like its adaptability with three walls that can be removed ( can park either way then) and the potential to add a double room when required for longer holidays. No regrets So far.

F38958B1-F797-4F39-AFCE-3406667710A0.jpeg

29124A1B-7B75-4853-86A6-5841D8C73568.jpeg

I opted for the Outdoor Revolution Cayman Air. I like its adaptability with three walls that can be removed ( can park either way then) and the potential to add a double room when required for longer holidays. No regrets So far.

View attachment 105782

View attachment 105783
I like the Vango Kela V we have in polycotton, it’s well put together, and it’ll keep going for many years. The drawback is that it has no porch area - something needed for UK weather. The Cayman has this, which is a big plus. We needed a bigger awning, and looked at the OR awnings at the NEC show last October, and it was a close call, but we went with Vango again, and the Galli 3, in polycotton.

Hello everyone just bought my first California and I need a drive away air awning, easy to put up with room for a double mattress, don’t want something to big or complex
Any ideas and pics would be appreciated

Thanks Jon
Just bought the Outwell Parkville 200sa and set up this weekend for the first time. access on 3 sides so you open up dependanton views/neighbours, tinted windows. Can buy separate inner sleeping room as well. Took minutes to set up. We bought it for our kids to stay in as it's not cool to sleep above mum and dad!! Plus it gives fantastic additional space. Only grievance ATM is the amount of opening options. Every side has outer skin, window and, fly net with options to zip one way or the other
Hello everyone just bought my first California and I need a drive away air awning, easy to put up with room for a double mattress, don’t want something to big or complex

Thanks Jon
Just bought the Outwell Parkville 200sa and set up this weekend for the first time. access on 3 sides so you open up dependanton views/neighbours, tinted windows. Can buy separate inner sleeping room as well. Took minutes to set up. We bought it for our kids to stay in as it's not cool to sleep above mum and dad!! Plus it gives fantastic additional space. Only grievance ATM is the amount of opening options. Every side has outer skin, window and, fly net with options to zip one way or the other...sooo many zips

20230310_144149.jpg

20230310_144139.jpg

Thanks Jon
Hi Jon, I have the technical version of the Kela V (Jura). If you want to reduce your risk and try one out I’m selling mine (selling the Cali). PM me if interested.

Thanks Jon
Just another thought for you… soon after we had our first driveaway awning, we found sometimes we didn’t need to put it up on shorter stays, but still wanted something to give some shelter (usually from the rain!). We bought some Outwell tarps (Hillcrest and Fallcrest). The added bonus, thanks to a suggestion from a forum member, is you can combine with your driveaway to make a larger footprint for almost zero packing space/ weight.

E9E02D85-7BC8-4DAD-BE7C-61933AF59872.jpeg

DA5E5662-B977-4555-B58C-9EC569930CEE.jpeg

Reactions: RLL
Just seen this will check it out
Check out Isabella with specific fastenings for California
Expensive but superior quality to all the brands mentioned on this blog
Tested and evaluated by European evaluators
As said before… buy cheap and pay twice
There is, in my view an unhealthy obsession with residual values on this site
For those in this category please check out values for used awnings other than Isabella….. you will find them almost worthless .

Just bought the Outwell Parkville 200sa and set up this weekend for the first time. access on 3 sides so you open up dependanton views/neighbours, tinted windows. Can buy separate inner sleeping room as well. Took minutes to set up. We bought it for our kids to stay in as it's not cool to sleep above mum and dad!! Plus it gives fantastic additional space. Only grievance ATM is the amount of opening options. Every side has outer skin, window and, fly net with options to zip one way or the other

Just bought the Outwell Parkville 200sa and set up this weekend for the first time. access on 3 sides so you open up dependanton views/neighbours, tinted windows. Can buy separate inner sleeping room as well. Took minutes to set up. We bought it for our kids to stay in as it's not cool to sleep above mum and dad!! Plus it gives fantastic additional space. Only grievance ATM is the amount of opening options. Every side has outer skin, window and, fly net with options to zip one way or the other...sooo many zips

View attachment 105831

View attachment 105832
Do you have any pics of just van? Is it ascot with a abt front splitter?

Consider how you want to use the extra space ?
I have various set up based on weather conditions and length of stay

I have an air Drive away awning & a event hub, the later takes up a lot less room,
I Tend to use the DA for bad weather and longer stay, the hub for sunnier climes and Festivals, I always bring the cheap Oxford tarps as they are so versatile, sun shade, rain blocker link to DA and emergency rain protection.

be aware the wind out awning should not be deployed in heavy rain or high winds.

D7EA3481-54B9-40D9-BC2B-CF146A441444.jpeg

7677E317-1D0B-4048-B497-27AD3C96E162.jpeg

AF18AC0C-783A-4831-B6A3-41E26A0DE72F.jpeg

234D377E-CE3F-4C4E-92A3-DA07DB2FB464.jpeg

27961B73-D41F-4B5C-9613-E0E620AE7936.jpeg

02C2E32A-99A1-4447-8966-3EDF6742FAD6.jpeg

7D25BC60-37F8-47D3-BA2C-498B1F60D516.jpeg

Last edited:
787B5754-C63D-40FA-919C-03FE2335BBBF.jpeg
I used a decathlon thing which packs up pretty small, is easy to put up and down. Doesn’t connect to the van, but didn’t want it to. Some situations I’d roll out the awning ti cover the gap. Worked well for me and 2 children, just somewhere to store stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 106133
I used a decathlon thing which packs up pretty small, is easy to put up and down. Doesn’t connect to the van, but didn’t want it to. Some situations I’d roll out the awning ti cover the gap. Worked well for me and 2 children, just somewhere to store stuff.
Similar to us… Decathlon gazebo, and we can roll out the awning if it’s wet.

73E86891-4767-4BB2-A7A3-BBE99AFDF5EB.jpeg

Back