Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What constitutes a short journey?

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Well issue decided itself today with a newly available 150 4Motion beach which I happily relieved the dealer of. 5 year extended warranty with written confirmation the DPF is included. €5,000 cheaper than a 3 year old petrol and immediately available decided it.

Vantastic2

Vantastic2

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Vantastic, you describe exactly what potentially kills DPFs and EGR; lots of short journeys/low load. Shouldn’t really smell of eggs unless some sulphur’s got in somewhere from either the fuel or the oil. Pump diesel is ULS - were you using the right oil? (Needs to be low SAPS - low sulphur)
Serviced regularly by VW dealer, might be my nose not good at what the smell is ? very difficult to describe, burnt ash smell ? but in all the years of having our Cali never had problems with DPF and EGR !
Have had Diesels since 1990 and noticed improvements over those years, VW have improved on EGR, we had 2 failures with 2 cars under warranty in the years around 2000-2009. At mo NO Cali, it was written off so running around in Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI. Because of lockdown and can't get about ,will have to see what the future holds and maybe another Cali but we will be looking at a beach next time.
Before 'she died 'we had over 45000 miles of wonderful adventures.
To note: it was serviced a wk before the accident and what an improvement made on it's performance, VW had not changed air or fuel filters in 7 years ! we had our mechanic neighbour to service the Cali incl new Cambelt and water pump ( pump showing signs of wear ) oil and filter changed to VW specification !

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Of course, but is it worth paying for the extra torque in insurance and running costs?
Everyone's choice of what one wants
I’m not convinced the diesel is cheaper to run long term. The TSI doesn’t have all the complexity of the emissions systems or the Webasto. The MPG is lower, the torque is fine, it just means it changes down earlier on hills.
Having driven both I think it’s nicer to drive, the TSI engine is the same as that used in the Golf so Its well proven. If I was towing or if I had 4WD I would prefer a diesel but I wouldn’t swap mine for one.

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I’m not convinced the diesel is cheaper to run long term. The TSI doesn’t have all the complexity of the emissions systems or the Webasto. The MPG is lower, the torque is fine, it just means it changes down earlier on hills.
Having driven both I think it’s nicer to drive, the TSI engine is the same as that used in the Golf so Its well proven. If I was towing or if I had 4WD I would prefer a diesel but I wouldn’t swap mine for one.
If I had the choice, TSI over TDI, driving characteristics and fear of EGR/DPF are the prime reasons. One of the most fun vehicles I ever owned was a Chevy Astro AWD which I made into a desert camper. 4.3L petrol that was so slow, but just nice to drive.

Second hand prices for TSIs in Germany are mad at the moment, a low mileage 2018 Ocean is up for €74k. Opportunistic dealer or genuine demand? Time will tell.

VW California Club