Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What does "Trailer Hitch Preparation" look like?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I'm having a towbar fitted next week by an independent firm. Our 2015 T5.1 SE has "Towbar Hitch Preparation" according to the options sticker, but I just wondered what it actually looks like in real life? Is it a bunch of uncapped wires somewhere at the rear of the vehicle, or is it terminated nicely in a plug they can just slot the towbar electrics into? And where can it be found? I'm sure the fitter can work all of this out, but I just like to be prepared before wandering in for jobs like this.

I'm having a towbar fitted next week by an independent firm. Our 2015 T5.1 SE has "Towbar Hitch Preparation" according to the options sticker, but I just wondered what it actually looks like in real life? Is it a bunch of uncapped wires somewhere at the rear of the vehicle, or is it terminated nicely in a plug they can just slot the towbar electrics into? And where can it be found? I'm sure the fitter can work all of this out, but I just like to be prepared before wandering in for jobs like this.
The socket should be taped to the rear of the body panel that has the Mains and Water connection/filler.
Access via the rear wardrobe by the gas locker.
If they are fitting the towbar and just the rear VW wiring loom then it should be plug and play and all the necessary computer coding should already be done.
If not then they would have to rewire through to the electrics under the Passenger seat and to the Dashboard.

The fitter might prefer to run a new wire given the age of the van; Would make things easier for you in the long run should you have an issue, the fitter won't be able to put a fault down to the existing VW wiring if installs new wiring / coding.

Hmmm... interesting. I can't see anything, and the bits that are there look like they all track back to the hookup (and there are some extra wires for the solar to the leisure battery and starter battery, and for the battery temperature sensor).

I've just re-checked the options sticker and it definitely lists 1D7.

IMG_1651.jpg

Hmmm... interesting. I can't see anything, and the bits that are there look like they all track back to the hookup (and there are some extra wires for the solar to the leisure battery and starter battery, and for the battery temperature sensor).

I've just re-checked the options sticker and it definitely lists 1D7.

View attachment 80501
It’s only taped on. Might have fallen down.

Out of interest, what is the quote. I have the same van with prep, but quotes were still £757 ( inc vat). £120 of which is fitting the electrics. Seemed a lot for “plug and play”

Quoted price isn't representative I'm afraid, as I'm getting it at trade through one of our suppliers for the family business.

Back