Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What happened to the thread on dealer discount

Only once an order is delivered does that apply. A future order can drop anywhere.
Only going by my experience. The dealer needed the committed order on his books and deposit paid before the end of the month to keep that particular deal open.

I think if you are happy being dishonest and wasting peoples time playing "the game", steam in.

Last edited:
Only going by my experience. The dealer needed the committed order on his books and deposit paid before the end of the month to keep that particular deal open.
That sounds correct, but wouldn't necessarily affect that months sales, it may have taken advantage of a particular offer of course.

I think if you are happy being dishonest and wasting peoples time playing "the game", steam in.
Dishonest? nothing dishonest @Geezso as I was transparent with both dealers, furthermore I did not burn more than 60mins of either dealerships time before placing my order. I just knew my pice negotiating position before going in to bat. To do otherwise seems a little foolish.

Like @CoboCali said, nothing dishonest about it at all. I'm not sure why you hate bargains and deals so much?
I asked guy what his best deal was. He gave it to me. pretty quick, happy and honest game.
He wants to sell as many vans as possible and I want to spend as little as possible. We both were happy.
I wasted no ones time. (This conversation is starting to feel a little bit like a waste of time - we're going in circles it seems!).

I love a deal as I said, but typically the price is the price. I don't haggle at Asda checkout, at the jewellers or on amazon. I know what I have to spend before the off set.
I don't think its a statement of pride to discuss discounts. Its a personal thing should you wish to haggle.
I would imagine the last thing someone wants is a benchmark. In your case it may have been very quick, both times. But now people with a low budget will assume they can play the game and have people bid. The reality is that most people will just say, yeah, buy from Preston, were not running a charity.

That sounds correct, but wouldn't necessarily affect that months sales, it may have taken advantage of a particular offer of course.
Ah yes I see what you mean. There is a distinction between committed (accrued) sales orders, and cash in the door at the actual point of handover.

I love a deal as I said, but typically the price is the price. I don't haggle at Asda checkout, at the jewellers or on amazon. I know what I have to spend before the off set.
I don't think its a statement of pride to discuss discounts. Its a personal thing should you wish to haggle.
I would imagine the last thing someone wants is a benchmark. In your case it may have been very quick, both times. But now people with a low budget will assume they can play the game and have people bid. The reality is that most people will just say, yeah, buy from Preston, were not running a charity.
This is a thread on discounts though. That's why we're talking about it. If you don't like talking about discounts and see it as a personal thing then just don't talk about it on a public forum. This is here to help other people, if it doesn't help you then simply don't read this bit of the site. I mention the discount I achieved to help others know what is achievable. It's not a statement of pride because of my amazing skills, i think I made it clear that it was easy to get a deal at my dealer - I just said 'what's the best deal you can do' which is not exactly extreme haggling.
I hope people with lower budgets do manage to get a van because they see that it is possible to get money off. And if my local dealer said 'this isn't a charity' I'd assume they didn't want to sell a van and so I'd happily travel to pick up a van a few hundred miles away to save a few thousand pounds. I think 'in reality' most dealers would rather you bought from them and so would match a deal. Servicing can still be done locally.

I haggle for most things, all sale items have a margin. It's easy to ask "what is your best price ". If they don't bite then you either walk away or pay the price. I'd rather have it in my pocket than theirs. A fool and his money is easy parted as they say.

Back