Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Thanks, that’s my experience as well getting my fourth seal fitted Monday !

so who’s going to break the first story of a T6.1 with roof rot, it only a matter of time?

so who’s going to break the first story of a T6.1 with roof rot, it only a matter of time?
What a poor design.
You’ve replaced roughly every how many years?
Daft question: There’s no prevention solution then?

What a poor design.
You’ve replaced roughly every how many years?
Daft question: There’s no prevention solution then?
Replaced roof Seal : 2018 van

the dates below are when the work was carried out by the Dealer, not necessarily when the failure was reported.

# 1 (factory fitted seal)
noted as failed Aug19 - rust evident within the seal recess on (first clean / inspection of roof edge & seal) = failure on the rear corner replaced sept 19 - i.e seal #2 fitted:
1637834865578.jpeg

#2 dealer fitted: noted as failed Aug 21 rust evident within the seal recess recess on front edge where roof profile blends from lower to upper level. Seal # fitted October 21
1637834929924.jpeg

#3 Dealer fitted: Noted as failed Nov 21 - seal rust evident leaching from a small hole in the manufactured joint, front O/s corner. Reported several weeks after fitting of previous failed seal In Oct 21
1637835118935.jpeg

1637835157278.jpeg

#4 due to be fitted imminently I incidentally the photo above is of the font of the roof with the side tape (factory fitted) in the lower left of the photo. Dealers are instructed to clean the roof edge fully before fit replacement seals !

All failures have been at different points on the seal, the last I belive is purely a manufacturing fault that was not picked up during fitting, but the amount of rust observed leaching is more considerable than the previous two failures.

i will post this detail and some photos in another thread specifically related To this issue to assist other when carrying out specific search(s).

edit: importantly two have failed on the front of the roof where VW have omitted to fit the remedial “ tape” in an attempt to prevent this issue !

Clear there is still a major issue with this part and VW have failed to resolve the known issue since production of the T5, it is now being reported on T6.1 models.

Last edited:

Gosh sorry you having this going on, does this rust issue apply to T6s as well

Gosh sorry you having this going on, does this rust issue apply to T6s as well
This issue applies to T5, T5.1, T6 & T6.1 models i.e all transporter based models (All) as they use exactly the same roof seal !

I'm expecting ours early next year, so all this to look forward to and no direct experience, so apologies if this is a stupid question, but has anyone tried an aftermarket seal instead of the VW one...something like this? https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1286/door-seal
Hi Big John,

the seal is the conglomeration of two profiles of rubber seal
the two profiles are specifically jointed to become as one continuous rubber seal (the front section is a knife edge seal at the front of the roof , jointed at 90 degrees to the ”u” profile seal at the Sides and back, to form one continuous seal unique to the VW California )
I.e the factory seal is unique, specific to VW & not replaceable with a proprietary after market seal as it is specifically designed & manufactured for VW, to VW specifications and is designed to be a non serviceable part by VW. I.e a fit and forget weather seal, designed to be fitted at the factory, to last the duration of the vehicles life (Not).

Specifically this seal is manufactured to VW, design and VW specification, I.e a unique part specific to this / these model(s) ( the California) and not readily available from other sources / suppliers.

IMO the seal is a cheap part, poorly designed, not fit for the purpose it has been designed to fulfil a role, that when used as intended causes / has the potential to cause wider “known” issues, relating directly to its specific use, poor design & manufacturing , which is a known cause specifically causing / has the potential to cause secondary issues as a direct result of its intended use, (as designed & intended by VW ) thorough NO fault of the user, I.e. as VW intended it to be used by the user over the course of the intended use of the Van (in a way that it was intended to be used) and as was specifically designed & intended to be used by VW !

Last edited:
I was after some black 17” wheels and need to be rated for 3.2t joker.
OZ have a great reputation for making quality wheels, price is a bit expensive (£940 delivered) plus wheels rated at 1200.
Are they OZ Racing Rally Raid Matt Black 17"? They are rather nice. Great choice....and a great price you got to boot!

Are they OZ Racing Rally Raid Matt Black 17"? They are rather nice. Great choice....and a great price you got to boot!
Yep went for the matt.
Just need the new van to turn up now to see what they will look like on.

Sorry to hear that gaby.

Have you considered a Sparesafe?
seems like the way to go, I am tempted to have both a Sparesafe and a locking bolt.
What’s a spare safe?

Thank you. Are they much better than a locking wheel bolt?
The thinking is, that you could potentially saw through a locking wheel bolt but the Sparesafe would make that significantly more difficult!

The thinking is, that you could potentially saw through a locking wheel bolt but the Sparesafe would make that significantly more difficult!
Ah… thank you, being a bit thick tonight!

No its not sawing thats the problem.
A locking bolt when used on the spare wheel hanger, unlike when its used on a wheel, still has its head exposed & a pair of mole grips or a Stilson adjustable spanner can undo it as easily as a normal bolt.
With a spare safe you still use the locking bolt but the Sparesafe forms a collar around the head of the bolt to protect it.

No its not sawing thats the problem.
A locking bolt when used on the spare wheel hanger, unlike when its used on a wheel, still has its head exposed & a pair of mole grips or a Stilson adjustable spanner can undo it as easily as a normal bolt.
With a spare safe you still use the locking bolt but the Sparesafe forms a collar around the head of the bolt to protect it.
Ah… thank you, being a bit thick tonight!
As andyinluton says, it must actually be easier/quieter to just use grips on the exposed head. Unfortunately, despite any sort of heavy locking system, a determined thief could just cut through the cradle frame like @cathlw experienced!!!

Fitted a pair of Sequential Side Repeaters from Vanstyle. 5 minute job. No real benefit over the factory fitted units other than a bit of personalisation to the van. Although I think they are a little brighter and maybe more noticeable?

86C31079-FA3B-4840-AE17-55DE46E22088.png

Back