Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What I want in my T6

racali

racali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
These are based on my experience with my T5 cali. Some current items are 'fit for purpose' issues. As a designer my clients would be referring me to our contact if I proposed some of the solutions I have to live with in the current (new) van.

Need to have ....
Internal fabrics - removable floor and seat covers over robust linings
Thermal insulation - insulated metal bodywork before internals are installed
Waterproof roof - waterproof fabric to pop up roof
Internal lighting - LED fittings throughout
Internal lighting - lighting to inner side of tailgate
Window blinds - thermally insulated and lightproof
Peace - a quiet fridge and auxillary heater

Nice to have ....
Passenger seat - three way sliding ie backwards, forwards and sideways (for revolved positioning)
MDS - a single screen that brings together all the driver communications into a single readout
MDS - a HUD with finger/thumb controls on steering wheel
Kitchen cupboard doors - flat single peice sliding doors
Media interface - USBs and android user interface
Electrical interface - concealed (under a flap?) 12v sockets in dash (for dash cam, sat nav, etc)

I haven't elaborated why I would like these but I am sure owners of T5s will relate to many if not all of the issues.

You are right recall,

You would hope the principal designer of the new range of VW leisure vehicles would ... live in the old T5.1 vehicle for a few days ..., both sunny and wet, with his family, and carry forward his practical experience into the detail changes that would carry the T6 / T5.2 ? vehicle forward into the next 10 years of production, As dimensions rear of the B pillar seem to be unchanged I suspect internal campervan layout, whether VW or a separate fitting out company complete the vehicle, will remain broadly and efficiently similar, most family users I suspect would like to see option of LWB version and space to stow a toilet, all users, corrosion proof elevating roof, solar roof panels, thermal insulated and water proof roof fabric, hot water. And, improved reliability of electro mechanical hydraulic components. Thats the 'pint pot' challenge VW, lol.

Rob H.

Why do you need additional thermal insulation? Isn't that why the California SE has a Parking Heater?
I've just done 19 nights in Scandinavia in all sorts of weather but mostly with temperatures of 6c or less and wet. No problems, nice and cosy all the time. Canvas bellows, no problem, but you do have the option of a Topper if really necessary. Don't forget the California is built for the European market, not solely for the UK.

I have 2 12v sockets on the Dash already. Media interface, I have a USB interface already.
I don't know what you mean about the Kitchen doors, mine are single piece.
I don't want all the possible information displayed, I just want to see what I want to see and suitable warning lights. I want to drive and concentrate on the road not stare at a screen that tells me what the "Whatsit" is doing or not.
The Passenger seat is a good idea, but I would prefer an easier system for the Drivers seat on a UK spec vehicle.

Why do you need additional thermal insulation? Isn't that why the California SE has a Parking Heater?
I've just done 19 nights in Scandinavia in all sorts of weather but mostly with temperatures of 6c or less and wet. No problems, nice and cosy all the time. Canvas bellows, no problem, but you do have the option of a Topper if really necessary. Don't forget the California is built for the European market, not solely for the UK.

I have 2 12v sockets on the Dash already. Media interface, I have a USB interface already.
I don't know what you mean about the Kitchen doors, mine are single piece.
I don't want all the possible information displayed, I just want to see what I want to see and suitable warning lights. I want to drive and concentrate on the road not stare at a screen that tells me what the "Whatsit" is doing or not.
The Passenger seat is a good idea, but I would prefer an easier system for the Drivers seat on a UK spec vehicle.
Hi WelshGas,

I would like to see some of the new and clever breathable, multi skinned fabrics in the market, used in the roof bellows to insulate 'both ways', summer and winter in any climate, and save messing around on a
£ 50K + vehicle, with buying and fitting 'toppers', + to prevent damp upper bed mattresses , shouldn't add much bulk but would save heating energy. A true 'world ready' vehicle, what do you think. Was looking a couple of weeks ago at a production sample of the new generation of reliable, integrated electric motor rear callipers (re Parking brake), now available, then a dashboard parking brake switch with a host of canbus auto safety functions that would resolve the driver seat v manual handbrake tousle ..

Rob H.

What do you want? A heavy duty gtx roof? Add 1k at least on to the cost of the vehicle in that case.

I don't want it, happy with what I've got and managed quite happily in a Scottish winter with it. I enjoy the ventilation, breathability, and had no problem with water ingress but then I've camped all over the world in mountains and know not to touch the inner fabric unless a fly sheet fitted, and you can get fly sheets for California's if wanted.

Certainly also the parking heater is more than sufficient.

I have 8 12v sockets in my van, double plugs mostly, a couple of quid from Amazon, some of them USB so I need no more,

An electric handbrake would be brilliant.

Against all this of course is the constant plea to a manufacturer who so far cannot produce enough of the things to incorporate more technology, more complications whilst making it simpler and more reliable - a no-win situation I think.

Have I misinterpreted the configurator or can you know longer order a 4 motion with DSG?

Have I misinterpreted the configurator or can you know longer order a 4 motion with DSG?
No - it would appear that you are correct. Of course, the UK and Euro spec have, historically, been quite different, I believe, so we'll have to see what comes here. Manufacturers tend to base their regional offering on the specific market and what has, historically, sold. I just hope the 150KW diesel engine is available in the Beach!

If they don't hurray up and give us the T6 Cali in the UK, this thread might become... What I want in my T7!

;)

Chill out......Some of us are still patiently waiting for our T5's. These threads are like dishing out the proceeds of the will before someone's died....:headbang

I hear the latest murmurings from Hannover is that due to demand the RHD variants are not scheduled for production until October 2017 and the production run will only be for 18 months as the factory will then have to retool for the all new T7.

Honest.

A man told me so it must be true :shocked

:veryfunny:veryfunny:veryfunny
Also the old pricing structure still applies... The number following the T is multiplied by 10000