Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if any) defects have you found with your new T6

potem

potem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Firstly this is not a thread for complaining!
I am trying to bring together all the things, little and large, which owners have come across since they took delivery (or indeed at delivery).
Could anyone who has found an issue just post a 1-liner stating what it is and when it appeared.
Lou has posted a few on the 'beginners' forum. I my next post I will list these here and add to the list if anyone does in fact reply to this.
If by any strange chance VW manage to build my new Cali before they introduce the T7 I want to try to make sure I give it a thorough check-over before using it in the wilds of nowhere many miles from a dealer. I am sure there are many others like me. I want to know what to look out for. Some of the things posters have mentioned happen over time and are not relevant for the site's handover checklists or for whatever reason are not on them.

I am determined to love my Cali whatever its faults, but that is not the same as not wanting to know what they might be (or not noticing them in the cloud of joy when it arrives.so a little problem gets time to fester into a large one).

The list so far :(Links are to a fuller discussion of thorny or serious problems where given by contributors to the thread) Don't be put off by the length of the list. Most are easily fixed and no-one has found them all! More to the point no-one has said that the odd little niggle that has affected them led to them regretting their purchase or particularly diminishing their sense of fun from their van.

Soft close door works only intermittently.

Swivel seats don’t swivel

Seat belt warning light on all the time

Water ingress via the tailgate,
Water ingress at higher brake light
Higher brake light cover coming detached (fault of the whole unit not just the cover)

The blind on sliding door not pulling down fully the reason the plastic cover on the bottom of the door pillar keeps popping out of alignment

Plastic cover on the metal bed frame falls off when you adjust it

Piston arm on the fridge failed and had to be replaced

The gasket on the top of the drivers door was pulling away in the corner

New fresh water tank level indicator fitted as the display in the cabin showed that the tank was always full

Fold away table fixing mechanism was replaced to cure an unacceptable rattle

12v charging socket in the roof space not working

The plastic runner on the sliding door blind came off. A bit of super glue and it was fixed

The double glazing in the tail gate mist up, however it then magically cleared and has not returned.

230V socket reversed Live and Neutral.

Both auxiliary heaters smell, although not sure if this is a fault or an annoying characteristic

The finish on the drivers step light being not as it should be

The rear high level brake light cover fell off, it wouldn't be a VW if it didn't,(With thanks to Granny Jen for the Philosophical comment!)

Remote key for heating not paired with Cali

Keys did not open all doors

Missing table leg on the sliding table!!!!

Missing options/wrong options fitted.

Fresh water tank replaced. The original one had a pin hole in the base and leaked water into the boot area

RH 'C' post foremost blind trim lower finisher out of alignment and has now detached itself from C post trim

Missing one levelling thumbscrew from door one of the 'door table' legs

'Plugged in' symbol no longer displaying on centre control panel

240v charging problem. Whilst displaying the hook-up sign it would just stop charging when hooked up https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-feeling-of-disappointment.11023/

Paint issue with tailgate (bubble in paint), which needed respraying.
Rear drivers side blinds not staying down (springing back up 1/2 inch).
Blind over sliding door not going down due to trims being misaligned with guide rail.
Gas burner not working (igniting), went in to have parts replaced, and still not right. Needing another visit to the dealer in the future.
Drivers electric window clunking when it is stopped from auto open to go back up.
Rattling noise from windscreen when driven over 50mph.
Drivers lhs arm rest foam becoming detached from the arm rest body.
(Sorry about the formatting below - I will try to sort it out tomorrow)
  1. Repeated and uncured rattle of cables inside steering column housing
  2. Suspension top creak - joint removed and replaced with greased item
  3. 3str bench would not move forward and backwards -
  4. Factory awning material fell apart at the join on a warm day - replaced on warranty but new one rattled so had to go back in for adjustment
  5. DPF sensor faulty
  6. Sliding door blind misalignment
  7. water ingress at tailgate hinges and
  8. widescreen rattle unless wet screen.
  9. recurring problem with the AC (not uncommon on T6 vans) seals needed replacing on the input and output to the condenser
  10. The cover at the bottom of the sliding door blind rail (front) popped off on first use! Looks like it's glued, but not very well
  11. Foot well button for the climatronic air con when depressed sticks in and doesn't come back out
  12. Voice control not activated on media centre
  13. issues when trying to change the settings on the beach parking heater where it seems to time out and go back the standby display in the middle of trying to set it up
  14. lower locking glovebox (Comfort dash) is not fitted well with the top slightly deformed meaning the light rattles and slips out
  15. door blind trim was out of line and came off the day after I bought my T6. Took it to Breeze Poole who said it is a common problem caused by adding an extra grommet by mistake during production. They removed the grommet and glued it. Now lined up and working correctly.

Last edited:
The plastic runner on the sliding door blind came off. A bit of super glue and it was fixed. 4000 miles and no other issues. Touch wood :)

Nothing new , all those things went wrong on newborn T5's also VW has other priority's

Comparatively I've had few problems and only minor ones at that but my list is;

I too have the plastic on the door pilar out of alignment which makes pulling the blind down problematic.

I've had the double glazing in the tail gate mist up, however it then magically cleared and has not returned.

230V socket reversed Live and Neutral.

Both my auxiliary heaters smell, although I'm not sure if this is a fault or an annoying characteristic.

Nothing new , all those things went wrong on newborn T5's also VW has other priority's
I am not worried about VW's priorities. I just want to know what I should be looking out for so I can get the van back to the dealer to make it a 'priority' for them. I intended this thread to be useful for those like me who are new to Cali's and who have not been on this site since before VW was founded! Going back over years of posts would make me lose the will to live, whereas .a collated list would be very useful to me and, I suspect, others.

You should be "looking out " for many things that can suddenly appear to be loose , broken , not to work , ....
Looking at your list seems VW treaded you well !
Everyone finds at least one or two litlle things that needs to be sorted out under warrenty best not to worry to much and try to enjoy your new Cali;)

You should be "looking out " for many things that can suddenly appear to be loose , broken , not to work , ....
Everyone finds at least one or two litlle things that needs to be sorted out under warrenty best not to worry to much and try to enjoy your new Cali;)
Its not my list (yet) as my van has not been built yet. It is the beginnings of a collation of other owners lists.so buyers know what to look out for. I have a feeling that most owners will never come across any of the defects, but I like to be fore-warned.
I am indeed not worrying (or I would not have ordered one in the first place). I have owned a 1977 Triumph Spitfire from new (British Leyland at their best) so I know all about loving a car through thick and thin.

Other than an issue with app connect (which seems to be sorted after the latest iphone update)

All I have wrong is the finish on the drivers step light being not as it should be. I have a new one from the dealer but will only fit that when this one get properly broken.

2016-08-27 16.06.26.jpg

It seems to me that to many people accept problems as not a big issue!
This is a very expensive vehicle and yes, complicated but one should not to expect to have snagging on a product that has been in production for so long. Of the few new cars I've bought over the years I've not had any issues where I felt the need to repair under warranty. These include Fords x2, Renault x1, Citroen x2, and Volvo.

I must be one lucky bunny.

Apart from the frustration of my 240v charging saga Albert has been trouble free.

Yes, the rear high level brake light cover fell off, it wouldn't be a VW if it didn't, no big deal, popped into SMG, sorted.

After ordered got dealer to confirm swivel seats by email.

Before collection emailed clubs handover checklist to dealer ( 200 miles away )plus extras checks.

. Remote key for heating present - Check key PAIRED with Cali ,(one person had to return to have it done.)
. Ask dealer to confirm by email all ordered options present before collection( some had ordered options missing. I.e.rear camera,parking sensors missing,4WD)
. Check all doors operate with keys( especially passanger)
. Check 12v socket in roof connected
. Inspect paintwork carefully( we had a dent in the bonnet, replaced bonnet with newly delivered T6 transporter)
. Check roof canvas carefully ,we put it up & down x2.
. Dealer options ordered fitted. Dealer sent a video of Cali pre collection. They have put a chrome bumper protection on( we had ordered a black one . They changed it)
. Missing leg on sliding table.

Despite extensive handover (4 1/2 hours) of our new T6 Ocean using the club handover check list with our own list. Both the dealer & us managed to miss the missing table leg on the sliding table!!!! :) :talktothehand
IMG_0103.JPG

New table ordered & installed by our local VW( Snows Plymouth). Paid for by VW Eurovans( Crawley) because it was missed on their initial check.

Since collection we have had brilliant time in our Cali

Last edited:
I must be one lucky bunny.

Apart from the frustration of my 240v charging saga Albert has been trouble free.

Yes, the rear high level brake light cover fell off, it wouldn't be a VW if it didn't, no big deal, popped into SMG, sorted.
Can you condense your 240v saga into a one-liner? Also,,as an expert on keeping white wine cool, do you have any tips on keeping red wine and ale at a constant 12-14c

This afternoon collected ours from the VW van centre having had the fresh water tank replaced. The original one had a pin hole in the base and leaked water into the boot area. After almost exactly 2 months we now have a fully functional California Ocean, fingers crossed, we'll be testing it this weekend. Other than that all is well, touch wood! ...and we are loving it despite the one hiccup, should be even better with water and a sink we can use.

It seems to me that to many people accept problems as not a big issue!
This is a very expensive vehicle and yes, complicated but one should not to expect to have snagging on a product that has been in production for so long. Of the few new cars I've bought over the years I've not had any issues where I felt the need to repair under warranty. These include Fords x2, Renault x1, Citroen x2, and Volvo.

The ones the OP is listing up are small issues , next thing we start talking DSG gearbox troubles , oil leaks ( not only engine but also in the cabin on the roof hydrolics , .....and there seems to be issue with the roof paint bubbling ....:cool:

So lets stick to to minor problems:thumb

Edited post

Remote key for HEATING not paired with Cali

Can you condense your 240v saga into a one-liner? Also,,as an expert on keeping white wine cool, do you have any tips on keeping red wine and ale at a constant 12-14c

Impossible to condense:D

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-feeling-of-disappointment.11023/

Suffice to say, I could still use the vehicle .... until VW decided to rectify the fault. It then disappeared into a dealers garage in July and spent more time there than I had spent all year camping in the thing.

I still consider it to be the best all round vehicle that I have ever owned.

I prefer to keep my red wine at around 15 degrees, which is what I keep my storage at home to. If I take wine away with me then it goes in the back hard against the bench seat and protected against as little shaking as possible.

1. RH 'C' post foremost blind trim lower finisher out of alignment and has now detached itself from C post trim
2. Missing one levelling thumbscrew from door one of the 'door table' legs
3. 'Plugged in' symbol no longer displaying on centre control panel

Still delighted with the California, these are (IMHO) relatively minor issues, Warranty will sort out (once my shoulder has healed and I can drive it over to Baillieston)

Wullie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ones the OP is listing up are small issues , next thing we start talking DSG gearbox troubles , oil leaks ( not only engine but also in the cabin on the roof hydrolics , .....and there seems to be issue with the roof paint bubbling ....:cool:

So lets stick to to minor problems:thumb
If you have brief details of major problems which you have experienced please post. The object is not to discuss or talk about the problems but for people to become aware of them..A link to a fuller discussion would be good.

If you have brief details of major problems which you have experienced please post. The object is not to discuss or talk about the problems but for people to become aware of them..A link to a fuller discussion would be good.

With our first Cali, we are disappointed with the list of problems we have experienced on a new vehicle. We have only had 'Trevor' 6 months.

Paint issue with tailgate (bubble in paint), which needed respraying.
Rear drivers side blinds not staying down (springing back up 1/2 inch).
Blind over sliding door not going down due to trims being misaligned with guide rail.
Gas burner not working (igniting), went in to have parts replaced, and still not right. Needing another visit to the dealer in the future.
Drivers electric window clunking when it is stopped from auto open to go back up.
Rattling noise from windscreen when driven over 50mph.
Drivers lhs arm rest foam becoming detached from the arm rest body.

I hope this will help someone with future check lists.

Within first 7 months of ownership I've had:

1. Repeated and uncured rattle of cables inside steering column housing
  2. Suspension top creak - joint removed and replaced with greased item
  3. 3str bench would not move forward and backwards - an afternoon in VWCV workshop sorted this
  4. Factory awning material fell apart at the join on a warm day - replaced on warranty but new one rattled so had to go back in for adjustment
  5. DPF sensor faulty - part on back order so had a courtesy car for 2 weeks
These relatively minor issues have taken some of the shine off my new £50k Beach, but I don't think it's changed my mind about them - would still buy another! It's the inconvenience more than anything.

And the steering column in the Gen 6 Caravelle in red/white they lent me rattled too! Strangely it seemed quieter and smoother than my Beach even tho it had the same 150 dsg set up???

We have the intermittent issue with the sliding door electric close. It mostly works, then it doesn't, usually at dead of night on the pee run.

I haven't tried the remote heater fob but everything else (and we have the exact spec we ordered) is working fine.

After 3 months and 6000km I have had no problems except the heater not starting. I have used it more lately which seems to have solved it.
I was driving at 180kmh yesterday, cant understand how such a high vehicle can be so stable. I love it.

Missing one levelling thumbscrew from door one of the 'door table' legs

I spotted that and assumed they only came with one.

Back