Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if any) defects have you found with your new T6

If its of any interest I am in the middle of preparing a Excel SS check list for an T6 Cali Ocean which I will share. I have tried to catagorise "major", "minor" (Majors being around Engine, Gearbox, Colour, Bodywork dents, leaks, roof not working properly/damaged, swivel seats missing etc - the rest being classed as Minor) but recognise these will be different for different folks. The list will also list "loose" items which should be present on delivery as standard (you will have to add your specific options if there are any) as well as things that it would be desireable to go over with the salesman before handing over your cash.
The list is a combination of a number of items from the downloadable check list and from various threads in this forum plus a few of my own - so :thanks to all if you spot a contribution that you made. They have all been a great help to me in preparing this list. It should be available in the next couple of weeks. Give me a nudge if my delivery timetable slips;):D

If its of any interest I am in the middle of preparing a Excel SS check list for an T6 Cali Ocean which I will share. I have tried to catagorise "major", "minor" (Majors being around Engine, Gearbox, Colour, Bodywork dents, leaks, roof not working properly/damaged, swivel seats missing etc - the rest being classed as Minor) but recognise these will be different for different folks. The list will also list "loose" items which should be present on delivery as standard (you will have to add your specific options if there are any) as well as things that it would be desireable to go over with the salesman before handing over your cash.
The list is a combination of a number of items from the downloadable check list and from various threads in this forum plus a few of my own - so :thanks to all if you spot a contribution that you made. They have all been a great help to me in preparing this list. It should be available in the next couple of weeks. Give me a nudge if my delivery timetable slips;):D
Sounds pretty good to me. I look forward to seeing it.

Note the OP and subject for discussion. How can anyone without a T6 know? Whatever! Sliding door blind misalignment water ingress at tailgate hinges and widescreen rattle unless wet screen.

Note the OP and subject for discussion. How can anyone without a T6 know? Whatever! Sliding door blind misalignment water ingress at tailgate hinges and widescreen rattle unless wet screen.
The whole point is that I do not yet own a T6 but have a provisional build date of wk44. I have never had any sort of camper. I am interested to know what to check on handover and what to look out for over the first few months.. Who better to ask than those who already have a T6? I suspect I am not the only one who is a complete novice who needs to know where to start.
Many thanks for your contribution..
The best thing about this thread for me is that no-one is saying that the odd little niggle has made them regret in the slightest their decision to shell out a not inconsiderable amount of wonger for their Cali. I am looking forward to joining you all.

The whole point is that I do not yet own a T6 but have a provisional build date of wk44. I have never had any sort of camper. I am interested to know what to check on handover and what to look out for over the first few months.. Who better to ask than those who already have a T6? I suspect I am not the only one who is a complete novice who needs to know where to start.
Many thanks for your contribution..
The best thing about this thread for me is that no-one is saying that the odd little niggle has made them regret in the slightest their decision to shell out a not inconsiderable amount of wonger for their Cali. I am looking forward to joining you all.

and we look forward to you going us ....

It is a big purchase, and with so many bits and pieces involved in putting the thing together then some bits will go wrong, but don't be too depressed. Most are easily fixed and the overall package is superb. I only intended to own a Cali for a two year project and now I would not be without one.

In fact they can put my box in it when I pop my clogs,

Last edited:
and we look forward to you going us ....

It is a big purchase, and with so many bits and pieces involved in putting the thing together then some bits will go wrong, but don't be too depressed. Most are easily fixed and the overall package is superb. I only intended to own a Cali for a two year project and now I would not be without one.

In fact they can put by box in it when I pop my clogs,
Thanks for the encouragement. I am not in the least depressed. I am quite excited! I am impressed by the feelings of those who have responded. Anyway, having just sold a 7 bedroomed farmhouse I could well be living most of the time in the Cali until I find somewhere else to buy.( I think they call it downsizing). Nothing short of a complete failure will prevent me enjoying it!

Some things take a while to adapt to.

Due to it's size everything is a compromise but it's the size that makes it. No bigger than a Range Rover really, superb driving position, lovely and nimble and get's under most height barriers.In time you learn where to put everything so it's all in reach, get out of cupboards what you want before extending table or bed, find out what's best in the boot and best not needing to rummage around outside at 11pm in pouring rain...

A never ending voyage of discovery and every year for me has been better than the last.

Life is not perfect......never meant to be........its how you deal with it..........including VW's short comings.....be excited by the opportunities not the limitations:cool:

And my point was. How can T5 owners comment on T6 defects?

Becose , a T6 is a upgrade of the T5 and most (if not all) of the the minor issues on the 5 are carried over to the 6 ....no rocket sience needed. Time will tell they even created more problems .
And reading this forum , going to meets ,talking to dealers/mecanics.....can make you wiser even not owning a Cali.
We are all sharing what we know , it's up to you how to use this info;)

Ps it's not " water ingress at tailgate hinges" but " water ingress at thirth breaklight" :D

Last edited:
Please can we avoid letting this thread become contentious. While T5 faults may well have been sorted out some MAY still exist. (This being VW I am using "may" in the sense of "probably" or "almost certainly") Personally I would not have been brave enough myself to tell Granny Jen to get lost because she has a T5, as, by implication, The Rev did, but I admire a man that has that degree of resolve! (whether or not I agree with him)
I will not add to the list anything which relates to engines or anything else I believe to have been altered since the date the problem arose. I will flag up any contribution from a poster who seems to have a T5.

Becose , a T6 is a upgrade of the T5 and most (if not all) of the the minor issues on the 5 are carried over to the 6 ....no rocket sience needed. Time will tell they even created more problems .
And reading this forum , going to meets ,talking to dealers/mecanics.....can make you wiser even not owning a Cali.
We are all sharing what we know , it's up to you how to use this info;)

Ps it's not " water ingress at tailgate hinges" but " water ingress at thirth breaklight" :D
Thanks for the clarification. What exactly is "the thirth breaklight"?
"Let he who is free from sin..........."

I do not think anyone has made a contentious post.

An opinion has been expressed. My answer to that opinion is Same design, same basic body, same basic design and body problems. With such a commonality between T5 and T6 design and components then some problems are going to overlap, and equally some experiences are going to be just as helpful.

The rear high level brake light for example. A common source of water ingress on the T5 and from other members experiences carried over on to the T6. That brake light cover also has an annoying habit of falling off. It is a complete unit so don't do what a lot of T5 owners did in the beginning, run around trying to find "a cover" when in fact the complete unit needs replacing.

I do not think anyone has made a contentious post.

An opinion has been expressed. My answer to that opinion is Same design, same basic body, same basic design and body problems. With such a commonality between T5 and T6 design and components then some problems are going to overlap, and equally some experiences are going to be just as helpful.

The rear high level brake light for example. A common source of water ingress on the T5 and from other members experiences carried over on to the T6. That brake light cover also has an annoying habit of falling off. It is a complete unit so don't do what a lot of T5 owners did in the beginning, run around trying to find "a cover" when in fact the complete unit needs replacing.
I was referring to HC rising to the bait laid down by TR. I was trying to avoid the thread being diverted (as so many are) from its purpose. Maybe I should not have indicated I agreed with TR.There is no emoji for "I see where you are coming from, but do not entirely agree with you".

I was referring to HC rising to the bait laid down by TR. I was trying to avoid the thread being diverted (as so many are) from its purpose. Maybe I should not have indicated I agreed with TR.There is no emoji for "I see where you are coming from, but do not entirely agree with you".

Just make sure that your rear brake light is in place when your T6 arrives and not fallen off on the crossing :D

We collected our new T6 Cali on the 24th June 2016 - so it is early days. To date we have only travelled 1600 miles and just stayed in the van for 30 nights (10 of them consecutive). So far everything works fine and nothing has broken or fallen off - it is pleasure to drive and very comfortable to dine & sleep in. We are very happy owners.

Can I just say that I never even by implication told anyone "to get lost". Nor I have I intentionally laid any bait. I was only suggesting that if you ask the question to T6 owners then it seams fair that they are best placed to give feedback on defects or faults they have experienced. No slight was intended.

I joined this forum 10 months ago after ordering my first California but have had a T5 transporter since 2009. I am well aware of the third break light issue.This was my first post and have found the information available invaluable. Thank you.

As it was your first, second and third post can I just say H and welcome.

I am sure that your experience with the T6 will be most valued, not just by those who have one or have one on order but also for those considering or, like me, appraising the desire to trade in sometime.

Forums by their open nature encourage all sorts to join in. I'm sure as long as it's relevant to a T6 all opinions will be welcome, especially for those in the "considering ' stage.

Can I just say that I never even by implication told anyone "to get lost". Nor I have I intentionally laid any bait. I was only suggesting that if you ask the question to T6 owners then it seams fair that they are best placed to give feedback on defects or faults they have experienced. No slight was intended.

I joined this forum 10 months ago after ordering my first California but have had a T5 transporter since 2009. I am well aware of the third break light issue.This was my first post and have found the information available invaluable. Thank you.[/QU
Hi Rev.. Keep chilled. I just have an odd sense of humour, perhaps. As the proud possessor of 3 daughters I expected GJ to react not you! (She seems to be the only T5 owner to have contributed) As you have both T5 and a T6 experience I would not in any way want to put you off contributing on this thread and I certainly did not intend to cause any distress. Please accept my apologies.

I had a recurring problem with the AC which worked for two weeks then stopped, they then fixed it again. It went into SMG four times before they found the seals needed replacing on the input and output to the condenser, the thing that looks like a small radiator. Apparently this is becoming a relatively common problem on the T6 Van so if your AC fails pass this on to your dealer.

Last edited:
The little cover at the bottom of the sliding door blind rail (front) popped off on first use! Looks like it's glued, but not very well.... Similar alignment problems to others.

1. Blind runner (the plastic bit at the bottom) on sliding door fell off. Fixed immediately by dealer.
2. Diesel heater smells at start up. Should I worry about this?

2. Diesel heater smells at start up. Should I worry about this?

No, that is normal, and perfectly safe, and should disappear when upto temperature.
The Parking heater should be run on a regular basis for about an hour at a time. I normally run it monthly. This ensures it is properly dried out and gets rid of spider webs etc: fewer problems long term.

No, that is normal, and perfectly safe, and should disappear when upto temperature.
The Parking heater should be run on a regular basis for about an hour at a time. I normally run it monthly. This ensures it is properly dried out and gets rid of spider webs etc: fewer problems long term.

Useful info. Thank you.
Very pleased with the heater (and the rest of the van).

Foot well button for the climatronic air con when depressed sticks in and doesn't come back out, going to take back to Vw for fix.

Voice control not activated on media centre

Anyone else get issues when trying to change the settings on the beach parking heater where it seems to time out and go back the standby display in the middle of trying to set it up?

Back