Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What (if any) defects have you found with your new T6

Dealer glued on my door blind trim today: this seems to be a weak point and not really lining up very well.

I have also pointed out the lower locking glovebox (Comfort dash) is not fitted well, with the top slightly deformed meaning the light rattles and slips out. They tried to realign it today, but looks like the the area round one of the plastic nibs is deformed - so it should get replaced on warranty.

Both minor.

My door blind trim was out of line and came off the day after I bought my T6. Took it to Breeze Poole who said it is a common problem caused by adding an extra grommet by mistake during production. They removed the grommet and glued it. Now lined up and working correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My door blind trim was out of line and came off the day after I bought my T6. Took it to Breeze Poole who said it is a common problem caused by adding an extra grommet by mistake during production. They removed the grommet and glued it. Now lined up and working correctly.

Must be costing VW a fortune in grommets, everybodys door blind is out of line. :)

Where's the grommet?

IIRC the trim surrounding the sliding door all came off. The grommet is a 1cm black rubber washer that must be used as a spacer.

Anyone else get issues when trying to change the settings on the beach parking heater where it seems to time out and go back the standby display in the middle of trying to set it up?

I had this problem once and just blamed user error. There is a line in the manual (p325) which says "The following steps must be carried out in less than 10 seconds as the procedure will otherwise be stopped." so I did wonder if that was the issue.

The offending item causing door blind trim problem

8cb29b5b8779395f7f8961eee44616ac.jpg

The list so far :(Links are to a fuller discussion of thorny or serious problems where given by contributors to the thread) Don't be put off by the length of the list. Most are easily fixed and no-one has found them all! More to the point no-one has said that the odd little niggle that has affected them led to them regretting their purchase or particularly diminishing their sense of fun from their van.

Soft close door works only intermittently.

Swivel seats don’t swivel

Seat belt warning light on all the time

Water ingress via the tailgate,
Water ingress at higher brake light
Higher brake light cover coming detached (fault of the whole unit not just the cover)

The blind on sliding door not pulling down fully the reason the plastic cover on the bottom of the door pillar keeps popping out of alignment

Plastic cover on the metal bed frame falls off when you adjust it

Piston arm on the fridge failed and had to be replaced

The gasket on the top of the drivers door was pulling away in the corner

New fresh water tank level indicator fitted as the display in the cabin showed that the tank was always full

Fold away table fixing mechanism was replaced to cure an unacceptable rattle

12v charging socket in the roof space not working

The plastic runner on the sliding door blind came off. A bit of super glue and it was fixed

The double glazing in the tail gate mist up, however it then magically cleared and has not returned.

230V socket reversed Live and Neutral.

Both auxiliary heaters smell, although not sure if this is a fault or an annoying characteristic

The finish on the drivers step light being not as it should be

The rear high level brake light cover fell off, it wouldn't be a VW if it didn't,(With thanks to Granny Jen for the Philosophical comment!)

Remote key for heating not paired with Cali

Keys did not open all doors

Missing table leg on the sliding table!!!!

Missing options/wrong options fitted.

Fresh water tank replaced. The original one had a pin hole in the base and leaked water into the boot area

RH 'C' post foremost blind trim lower finisher out of alignment and has now detached itself from C post trim

Missing one levelling thumbscrew from door one of the 'door table' legs

'Plugged in' symbol no longer displaying on centre control panel

240v charging problem. Whilst displaying the hook-up sign it would just stop charging when hooked up https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-feeling-of-disappointment.11023/

Paint issue with tailgate (bubble in paint), which needed respraying.
Rear drivers side blinds not staying down (springing back up 1/2 inch).
Blind over sliding door not going down due to trims being misaligned with guide rail.
Gas burner not working (igniting), went in to have parts replaced, and still not right. Needing another visit to the dealer in the future.
Drivers electric window clunking when it is stopped from auto open to go back up.
Rattling noise from windscreen when driven over 50mph.
Drivers lhs arm rest foam becoming detached from the arm rest body.
(Sorry about the formatting below - I will try to sort it out tomorrow)
  1. Repeated and uncured rattle of cables inside steering column housing
  2. Suspension top creak - joint removed and replaced with greased item
  3. 3str bench would not move forward and backwards -
  4. Factory awning material fell apart at the join on a warm day - replaced on warranty but new one rattled so had to go back in for adjustment
  5. DPF sensor faulty
  6. Sliding door blind misalignment
  7. water ingress at tailgate hinges and
  8. widescreen rattle unless wet screen.
  9. recurring problem with the AC (not uncommon on T6 vans) seals needed replacing on the input and output to the condenser
  10. The cover at the bottom of the sliding door blind rail (front) popped off on first use! Looks like it's glued, but not very well
  11. Foot well button for the climatronic air con when depressed sticks in and doesn't come back out
  12. Voice control not activated on media centre
  13. issues when trying to change the settings on the beach parking heater where it seems to time out and go back the standby display in the middle of trying to set it up
  14. lower locking glovebox (Comfort dash) is not fitted well with the top slightly deformed meaning the light rattles and slips out
  15. door blind trim was out of line and came off the day after I bought my T6. Took it to Breeze Poole who said it is a common problem caused by adding an extra grommet by mistake during production. They removed the grommet and glued it. Now lined up and working correctly.
Hi, just had my one year check, and replacing the high level brake light was a recall, if you are interested

I am finding the powerlatch on the side door a bit intermittent, it stops working after a few uses and I need to reset it by putting a key across the middle contacts of the contact plate in the B pillar.

I am finding the powerlatch on the side door a bit intermittent, it stops working after a few uses and I need to reset it by putting a key across the middle contacts of the contact plate in the B pillar.
This is a common glitch usually sorted by turning ignition on and off and manually shutting door.

A trip to Preston today - new side trim for driver's seat where there was a stress mark - NOTE this must be a manufacturing or handling issue as a replacement had the same mark and another had to be ordered; one of the demonstrators has it too.
Also new trim around locking glove box that will ill-fitting and slightly misshapen, meaning the light was lose and falling out.
Good service. Free Wi-Fi to so got some stuff done whilst waiting.

And the steering column in the Gen 6 Caravelle in red/white they lent me rattled too! Strangely it seemed quieter and smoother than my Beach even tho it had the same 150 dsg set up???
Different insulation spec. I believe '17 built Calis have same spec as Caravelle now.

A trip to Preston today - new side trim for driver's seat where there was a stress mark - NOTE this must be a manufacturing or handling issue as a replacement had the same mark and another had to be ordered; one of the demonstrators has it too.
Also new trim around locking glove box that will ill-fitting and slightly misshapen, meaning the light was lose and falling out.
Good service. Free Wi-Fi to so got some stuff done whilst waiting.
I was there this morning around 10-11. When were you there? I was getting my awning taken off.

Ah, missed you then. Was just wondering if you were one of the people suffering in silence as Jeremy Kyle was on TV!
Ha, no, took my laptop this time to do some bits, but will normally have a chat with anyone looking bored. I think Judge Rinder came on, so lucky escape. Nice coffee though :thumb
Whilst there heard there's a 3.5% price rise across the board kicking in today! Brexit and the pound no doubt?

Ha, no, took my laptop this time to do some bits, but will normally have a chat with anyone looking bored. I think Judge Rinder came on, so lucky escape. Nice coffee though :thumb
Whilst there heard there's a 3.5% price rise across the board kicking in today! Brexit and the pound no doubt?
Yeah I heard that too. That's a lot of money when your talking 50k!

This is a common glitch usually sorted by turning ignition on and off and manually shutting door.

Granny tip # 32: A good practice above but best to wait until stopped. Easier to close the door when stationary :shocked

IMG_20170410_084630.jpg IMG_20170410_084533.jpg Noticed that the boot interior trim where the window surround meets the lower, full width section keeps loosening both top and bottom sections coming away. A sharp bang and it goes back in, but it should not keep happening.

One for the dealer soon I think.

Our Ocean is six months old with 11 trips under its belt, and we have had no issues with it at all. The only visit to the dealer has been to replace an alloy wheel that was badly damaged when avoiding a lorry that came around a corner on the wrong side of the road - that was expensive but less expensive than the alternative :mad:

Other than an issue with app connect (which seems to be sorted after the latest iphone update)

All I have wrong is the finish on the drivers step light being not as it should be. I have a new one from the dealer but will only fit that when this one get properly broken.

View attachment 17048
@Skybird I just bought 2 new footwell lights from vw as mine had cracks in plastic, there pretty cheap only £25 each so I would just replace now and not worry about back up.

6000 miles on the clock and then Air Conditioning packed in. It has all been mended now (Phew...just in time for our next long Southern European trip) and I was told that it was a "cracked pipe". I couldn't get any more info out of the dealers but just wondered if anyone else has had problems with the air conditioning.

What surprised me though was that I had to wait a week from when the van went into the menders the first time to find out what the problem was before the spare replacement part was delivered to the dealers. I understand that the part in question was not available in the UK and it had to come from VW in Germany. The disadvantage of having this delay was that we have had some of the hottest weather in May on record and it would have been nice to have the Aircon but on the plus side I have discovered how much better my fuel consumption is without the Aircon switched on :))

1. The rear right hand side window has holes in the trim and the blind is a challenge to close as the trip out of alignment. As per two photos below!

IMG_9473.JPG IMG_9472.JPG

2. Plastic cover on the metal bed frame falls off when you adjust it.

3. The blind on sliding door not pulling down fully the reason the plastic cover on the bottom of the door pillar is out of alignment.

IMG_9474.JPG

4. The faulty light indicator and front side light was out for two months however it's fixed it's self.

5. Just fount the brass fitting that goes in the end of the awning handle is not spot welded in and falls out! Very unfortunate as only able to get awning back 3ft in using a screwdriver!

6. The pop up roof is nylon (or some modern fabric) and is really cold in April and May in the UK!?! In my old T5 which I had for ten years it was canvas and I never even in middle of a cold winter with snow on the ground had a cold night.

That's it so far but...

The drive in the new T6 with the new modern headlights which are really really good is a dream. I don't enjoy driving that much (on U.K. busy congested roads and get tired easily) but in the T6 ("Misty") driving is still fun after five hours even for me!

6000 miles on the clock and then Air Conditioning packed in. It has all been mended now (Phew...just in time for our next long Southern European trip) and I was told that it was a "cracked pipe". I couldn't get any more info out of the dealers but just wondered if anyone else has had problems with the air conditioning.

Our's seems to have packed up also about 6000k on clock - just blowing warm air and real funny noise coming from rear which sounds like it is coming from the rear overhead locker!

Back