Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

what is it?

B

bico

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
above the rear leisure battery there is this, what is it?

batteria.jpg

Pretty sure it's the EHU charger unit.

Yes as @yossarian said its the battery charger for the leisure/camping batteries and powered from the EHU when your plugged into the mains on a campsite to keep them topped up. Also a good idea to plug in at home once a month to keep your leisure batteries in good condition and prolong life.

Yes as @yossarian said its the battery charger for the leisure/camping batteries and powered from the EHU when your plugged into the mains on a campsite to keep them topped up. Also a good idea to plug in at home once a month to keep your leisure batteries in good condition and prolong life.
I don't have a lead to plug in at home but drive our Cali at least once a month. Do you think that is enough to maintain the battery condition?

I don't have a lead to plug in at home but drive our Cali at least once a month. Do you think that is enough to maintain the battery condition?
Unfortunately No. The modern smart alternators only charge batteries to 80% capacity due to the way the system works regarding regenerative braking requirements.
You have 3 alternatives.
1. Plug into Mains hookup monthly.
2. Solar panel.
3. Swop the split charge relay charging system for a 12v DC to DC charging system for the Leisure batteries.

Ignore the T6 owners, for the T6.1 there's a setting for charging the batteries up to 100% on the consul, it turns off the stop start & raises the idle speed as well. Go for a decent run with that set and you don't need to plug in.

Do you have a lead to plug into EHU at campsites? You can use that with an adaptor available from camping shops (and probably from the club shop) which is a short lead with a plug/socket one end to mate with the lead and a standard 3 pin plug to fit your home socket.

Unfortunately No. The modern smart alternators only charge batteries to 80% capacity due to the way the system works regarding regenerative braking requirements.
You have 3 alternatives.
1. Plug into Mains hookup monthly.
2. Solar panel.
3. Swop the split charge relay charging system for a 12v DC to DC charging system for the Leisure batteries.

I have solar panels but it it wise to still plug in once a month in the winter- when Agnes doesn't get out for a run too often? Thanks

I have solar panels but it it wise to still plug in once a month in the winter- when Agnes doesn't get out for a run too often? Thanks
Depends. I have 1 solar panel and it is sufficient to keep the Leisure batteries fully charged, IF I am not using the leisure circuits. But where I’m parked on the drive the panel is fully exposed to the sun from sunrise to sunset. When I use the van in winter for camping I plug the van into the EHU on return to ensure they are fully charged and then the panel is more than capable to keep them fully charged thereafter if the Leisure System is not being used.
But there is no harm in plugging into EHU monthly.

Depends. I have 1 solar panel and it is sufficient to keep the Leisure batteries fully charged, IF I am not using the leisure circuits. But where I’m parked on the drive the panel is fully exposed to the sun from sunrise to sunset. When I use the van in winter for camping I plug the van into the EHU on return to ensure they are fully charged and then the panel is more than capable to keep them fully charged thereafter if the Leisure System is not being used.
But there is no harm in plugging into EHU monthly.
Thanks. Thats really helpful. I have a biggish panel but the van isnt getting sun all day by any means so I think I'll give it a regular boost.