Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is this button for?

Shuftie

Shuftie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We have a MY 22 Coast. As far as I can tell, this button has no purpose. Pushing it does nothing when the tailgate is open, or when it is closed. It doesnt appear to affect any lights in the vehicle. What am I missing!?

IMG_5538.jpeg

Tailgate LEDs.

Hold button down to adjust lighting brightness.

It’s for the LED lights on the tailgate, and we use them when using the lower bed, good for reading in bed.

We have a MY 22 Coast. As far as I can tell, this button has no purpose. Pushing it does nothing when the tailgate is open, or when it is closed. It doesnt appear to affect any lights in the vehicle. What am I missing!?

View attachment 98888
Did you spec the lighting concept package? Do you have the additional lights that standard Coasts like ours doesn't? Like the strip light on the kitchen cabinet and the LEDs in the tailgate and pop top?

All these Ocean owners are just rubbing it in! :D

@Stu@rt, no we didn’t order that (afaik), it’s just a bog standard Coast in that respect. You may recall that this is same tailgate that arrived Debadged and I suspected a late replacement during build..

For the avoidance of doubt, here’s a shot of our tailgate. There’s nothing there, right!? o_O

2F112782-53F0-4811-A35C-D00193416315.jpeg:D:D

@Stu@rt, no we didn’t order that (afaik), it’s just a bog standard Coast in that respect. You may recall that this is same tailgate that arrived Debadged and I suspected a late replacement during build..

For the avoidance of doubt, here’s a shot of our tailgate. There’s nothing there, right!? o_O

View attachment 98898:D:D
How bizarre eh? So they have popped a switch there for lights that you don't have. How odd. Definitely no lights in that tailgate and I assume no strip light on the kitchen unit. We didn't spec it either as I think it was around £700 at the time. You don't miss what you don't have. Just odd that they have put the switch there.

View attachment 98898:D:D
Just checked mine and as other say it's the two strip lights on the tailgate you don't have. I popped the switch out, pulls out easy - be interesting to know if it has any wires into it or they have just dropped the button there as a blanking switch for the hole. You could likely persuade your dealer to swap the facia out for the right one - without a hole, but one imagines that would be a faff.

seems as the tailgate was 'debadged' is it possible they swapped the tailgate completely and have fitted one without lights when it should have had some ?

seems as the tailgate was 'debadged' is it possible they swapped the tailgate completely and have fitted one without lights when it should have had some ?
OP has a Coast without the lighting concept option, the same as us. So no lights in the tailgate. Yet appears to have the switch for no reason

OP has a Coast without the lighting concept option, the same as us. So no lights in the tailgate. Yet appears to have the switch for no reason
I wonder if the 1st tailgate had the lights

I find the switch very useful when going to the tailgate in the dark, but I wonder if the switch also turns on the lights under the dropdown 'airline' locker over the boot area? I thought it did, and if so the switch might still be useful?

If the wiring is there, it would be an easy retrofit to put the tailgate lights in

Thanks for giving me the idea to pop it off @dspuk, that confirmed it’s just a placebo button :oops:, and I’ve been pressing it like a muppet for a week trying to figure out what it does!!:talktothehand:D

Still doesn’t solve the mystery of why it’s there though..

473FC745-F440-4B4A-B954-37737EABF3ED.jpeg

Thanks for giving me the idea to pop it off @dspuk, that confirmed it’s just a placebo button :oops:, and I’ve been pressing it like a muppet for a week trying to figure out what it does!!:talktothehand:D

Still doesn’t solve the mystery of why it’s there though..

View attachment 98908
My guess is if you were not supposed to have the lights but they had this fascia panel ready to get your van through the factory asap they just fitted it and chucked a dead switch in the gap.

Back