Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is your fall back meal of choice whilst Cali-ing?

:shocked Not Cordon bleu I'll grant you but it does for a quick ready meal. Anyway surely a spud is a spud reqardless of how it's dressed?
Nope, the humble spud should only be used as nature intended, ‘fresh’ and never in a tin, not on our campsite anyway.

I just thought that I would post this question after eating what has become a favourite, if all else fails, meal. Like us, many of you may carry the makings of a basic but tasty favourite meal onboard at all times just in case. You know the sort of scenario, you've pitched up late, there's no pub nearby and you've not had time to go shopping. If you do have an emergency meal, please tell what it is?

We've just spent two lovely nights camping on the very peaceful Romney Marsh. Glorious sun and baby lambs as far as the eye could see. Walked to the pub the first night and prepared our fall back meal on the second whilst watching the sun disappear beneath the 400KV national grid lines.
View attachment 77188
Here is our recipe for what we call PPC stew:

Ingredients:
3 x cloves of garlic
2 x onions
Dash of olive oil
1 x tin of potatoes
1 x tin of mixed petite pois and baby carrots
1 x tin of stewed steak in gravy

Method:
1. Chop and gently brown the onions in a little olive oil.
2. When onions are nearly browned add 3 x cloves of crushed galic.
3. Heat the potatoes and juice in a separate pan as per instructions on the tin.
4. When nearly hot enough add the drained peas and carrots.
5. When hot drain off the liquid and add the stewed steak in gravy and the onions and garlic.
6. Add a good glug of red wine and stir until it's hot.

Serve with crusty bread and butter and a good bottle of red.

It's very tasty and filling on cold nights. A little Bovril is another possible enhancement.

Why is it called PPC stew? Because it occurred to us that if it wasn't for the label, the stewed steak could just as easily have been Prime Pedigree Chum!
First of all, we always make sure we can walk to a pub whenever possible. If not here's my failsafe:
Per person:
2 slices of white bread
Just a smidgeon of marge spread to all corners.
Load salt & vinegar crisps to one slice.
Place other slice on top of crisps (marge facing down).
Slice in 2 halves.
Chuck onto a plastic plate.
Serve with a can of Stella.

I'm liking this recipe!
I'm thinking about doing slow cooked pork thing sometime this week. Every meal is an experiment. In this case the liquor will probably be cider and the veg element will probably feature at least some apple amongst other things. Might chuck in some prunes as well. It'll probably be ghastly but we won't know unless we give it a go.
Nope, the humble spud should only be used as nature intended, ‘fresh’ and never in a tin, not on our campsite anyway.
That's fine if you have the time, but would you go to that effert late at night with a tired tetchy crew breathing down your neck.

Besides, nature intended cod to swim in the sea but we've just tucked two of the blighters away that came in a box complete with chipped potatoes fried in oil.

First of all, we always make sure we can walk to a pub whenever possible. If not here's my failsafe:
Per person:
2 slices of white bread
Slice in 2 halves.
Classy :Nailbiting

Per person:
2 slices of white bread
Slice in 2 halves.

Surely after plan A - the pub failed you would try:
Plan B takeaway,
Plan C Just Eat
Plan D Uber Eats
Plan E there's got to be a McDonalds drive through within an hours drive
( did you know the 3 nearest McDonalds to Carradale bay on the Kintyre peninsular are in Northern Ireland, don't ask how I know)

before resorting to having to make something?

I find a Ginsters pasty a handy standby to keep in the fridge, as long as there is sufficient alcohol involved you can be a bit flexible with the eat by dates.

White bread is a strict No No for us, the mouldy bits show up too easily & the kids spot it. A brown seedy loaf hides it much better.

The point of the tinned veg and meat is a quick hot tasty meal at night whilst travelling, I'm with you when it comes to fresh produce but as a failsafe it's great. I've even dried tinned spuds off and turned them into roasties in the frying pan.

I remember our first holiday to southern France with some friends, we were in my 66 MK111 Spitfire, After a long drive on our first night in France we stopped on a site miles from anywhere with no shop. All we had to eat between 4 of us was some stale baguette and 2 tins of beans, this taught me a valuable lesson about carrying provisions.

Camping in the south of France a few years ago we were opposite the guy who was in charge of the Dutch health care system. On our last night and whilst saying goodbye he asked if I was a professional chef as he and his wife had watched me cook every night for 3 weeks and couldn't believe what I produced with 2 electric hobs and electric hot plate.

I know lots of people love to go and eat out when on holiday but I prefer to cook and have some chef juice whilst spending quality time with the family which I find far more relaxing than looking for somewhere to eat especially in Europe.

Sorry for the Waffle!!! pun intended.

The point of the tinned veg and meat is a quick hot tasty meal at night whilst travelling, I'm with you when it comes to fresh produce but as a failsafe it's great. I've even dried tinned spuds off and turned them into roasties in the frying pan.

I remember our first holiday to southern France with some friends, we were in my 66 MK111 Spitfire, After a long drive on our first night in France we stopped on a site miles from anywhere with no shop. All we had to eat between 4 of us was some stale baguette and 2 tins of beans, this taught me a valuable lesson about carrying provisions.

Camping in the south of France a few years ago we were opposite the guy who was in charge of the Dutch health care system. On our last night and whilst saying goodbye he asked if I was a professional chef as he and his wife had watched me cook every night for 3 weeks and couldn't believe what I produced with 2 electric hobs and electric hot plate.

I know lots of people love to go and eat out when on holiday but I prefer to cook and have some chef juice whilst spending quality time with the family which I find far more relaxing than looking for somewhere to eat especially in Europe.

We will have to agree to disagree, we have a hot tasty meal quickly whilst travelling using fresh fish, meat, veg. For example a stir fry with chicken, fresh salmon with rice, there are numerous possibilities that don’t depend on tins.

We will have to agree to disagree, we have a hot tasty meal quickly whilst travelling using fresh fish, meat, veg. For example a stir fry with chicken, fresh salmon with rice, there are numerous possibilities that don’t depend on tins.
Agreed but tins have a long shelf life and can sit dormant until needed.

What about baked beans on toast with cheese on toast? An evening favourite of ours if we can't be @r$ed to cook. It's quick and easy but does involve opening a tin.

Gaufres!

What about baked beans on toast with cheese on toast? An evening favourite of ours if we can't be @r$ed to cook. It's quick and easy but does involve opening a tin.
Agree…Ridgemonkey toastie!

Don’t eat cheese, not fussed on beans, toast is okay though.

I just thought that I would post this question after eating what has become a favourite, if all else fails, meal. Like us, many of you may carry the makings of a basic but tasty favourite meal onboard at all times just in case. You know the sort of scenario, you've pitched up late, there's no pub nearby and you've not had time to go shopping. If you do have an emergency meal, please tell what it is?

We've just spent two lovely nights camping on the very peaceful Romney Marsh. Glorious sun and baby lambs as far as the eye could see. Walked to the pub the first night and prepared our fall back meal on the second whilst watching the sun disappear beneath the 400KV national grid lines.
View attachment 77188
Here is our recipe for what we call PPC stew:

Ingredients:
3 x cloves of garlic
2 x onions
Dash of olive oil
1 x tin of potatoes
1 x tin of mixed petite pois and baby carrots
1 x tin of stewed steak in gravy

Method:
1. Chop and gently brown the onions in a little olive oil.
2. When onions are nearly browned add 3 x cloves of crushed galic.
3. Heat the potatoes and juice in a separate pan as per instructions on the tin.
4. When nearly hot enough add the drained peas and carrots.
5. When hot drain off the liquid and add the stewed steak in gravy and the onions and garlic.
6. Add a good glug of red wine and stir until it's hot.

Serve with crusty bread and butter and a good bottle of red.

It's very tasty and filling on cold nights. A little Bovril is another possible enhancement.

Why is it called PPC stew? Because it occurred to us that if it wasn't for the label, the stewed steak could just as easily have been Prime Pedigree Chum!

Sounds lush! Ours is one tin of baked beans, one tin of minced beef mixed together in a pan. Accompanied with some instant mash and some crusty bread, if available. It looks like… well, you do the maths. But it tastes delicious!

Back