Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is your fall back meal of choice whilst Cali-ing?

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Chicken tikka (dry mix), rice and flat bread

cube chicken, chop onions, place in plastic bag add dry mix to taste, chill / freeze, stick in van fridge / freezer = BBQ / fry onsite

20 minute meal

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
These are great and can be mixed with any old thing you have to hand. Loads of different types and available in lots of supermarkets. Long shelf life as long as the packet stays in good nick.

One pouch will serve 2 easily and will fit in a Ridgemonkey XL, or cook in any pan with a lid. Just add a couple of tablespoons of water.

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Super noodles and tinned hot dogs or chickpeas. Served with a splash of soy sauce and chilli sauce. Batchelors packet pasta can also be served in a similar way.
Recently discovered longlife rosti from Waitrose, just fry up with a bit of cheese or a fried egg.

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Not had enough excursions to use our back up meal yet but, following in my Glasto footsteps, it will be a M&S curry and rice. Brings back so many happy memories, I might just take it in our next trip anyway.

J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
These are great and can be mixed with any old thing you have to hand. Loads of different types and available in lots of supermarkets. Long shelf life as long as the packet stays in good nick.

One pouch will serve 2 easily and will fit in a Ridgemonkey XL, or cook in any pan with a lid. Just add a couple of tablespoons of water.

Thanks have just found they sell these at Ocado online so have added this to my store cupboard along with other peoples suggested M&S tinned curry, for when I fancy a change from Toasties!
Loving this thread for quick & simple ideas.

5i1ver8ack

5i1ver8ack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
For a quick no-planning or preparation.... MOD MRE. Easy to store for ages. Hot, tasty (although admittedly not gourmet). Can be eaten for months (years) past the best before date. 5 minutes in boiling water. Get them online or from surplus stores.

Cold meal.... French sausage and cheese with crisps.

Quick hot meal.... omelette in the ridge monkey. Tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage bits, cheese.

With a quick shop.... Steak in the ridge monkey. Onions, tomatoes, mushrooms. Probably as a sandwich.

For a first night away..... pre-frozen meal from home. Beef stew in a takeaway tub.

At any time.... Full English breakfast in the ridge monkey.

5i1ver8ack

5i1ver8ack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Tins always in the van.... Corned beef and beans.

J

Jim2007

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
They look interesting and ideal for both general and fall back purposes. Do they have any special storage requirements?

We had something similar in the fire service for feeding the troops at large or protracted incidents, although in that case the food was in self heating cans.
View attachment 77241
Just use the pricker (supplied) to pierce the area surrounding the lid in several places and a short while later after an exothermic reaction has taken place, you had yourself a hot meal in a tin. You had to remember to open the tin slightly or the owner could end up wearing most of it. I used to carry a couple in my car. They were ideal for those occasions where I found myself tired and cold, kicking my heals somewhere in the middle of the night. One of those chaps made all the difference.

Sausage and beans was the king of hot cans. There’d be many moans if another flavour appeared.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Sausage and beans was the king of hot cans. There’d be many moans if another flavour appeared.
Sausage and beans is really the only one that I can remember now. There was one particular that was best avoided at all cost but can't remember what flavour that was.

gvick

gvick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Chinese chicken with boil in bag rice is our standby.
soften some onion in oil, add some chopped garlic and diced chunks of chicken breast - when the chicken is cooked through add one jar of Chinese chicken sauce from Tesco and some frozen peas (and or finely sliced mushrooms- warm through - delicious :)

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Give the Bombay Bad Boy a try @Borris
Well I tried one this morning just for you.
20210425_134315.jpg
I cannot say that it was the finnest culinary experience I have ever had but then again it was only a pot noodle so that was never likely. Lets just say that this particular example didn't float my boat. The previous (my first) Pot Noodle didn't either so I'm sorry but Pot Noodles won't be in our emergency "fall back" stash. :thumb

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If your after a very quick non perishable / long life example:

Dried Egg Noodles, put in a pan of boiled water and steep for 5 minutes
pour out the water, saving a little in a cup
add Peanut butter and sweet chilli sauce immediately and stir to combine , pour on the previously saved water to loosen the mixture

you’d be surprised how good that 5 minute meal tastes and how filling it is

you can embellish with whatever else takes your fancy.

Last edited:
Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Canned “cheese posessed”! Not a meal but an army ration pack in days gone by.

Gavin123

Gavin123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
M&S tinned chicken curry and rice.

Given a little more time to prepare, bolognese sauce, prepared at home, frozen, and semi defrosted in the CFX on the way to our destination. Usually served with conchiglie because spaghetti is such a pain in a small camping saucepan.
Had forgotten about the tinned m&s curries!

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Another really quick tasty :

quesadilla:
take your tortilla wrap, ( I use small ones),
put it in a dry or lightly oiled frying pan on moderate heat,
fill with cheese, pre cooked meat / ham etc, add any spices, or any other filling you choose (pickled chillies, onion, guacamole etc)
fold in half ( over onto the filling) and then cooked until the cheese starts to melt, turn over to cook the other side until lightly toasted.
I bet you won’t only eat one !

you can do the same without folding the tortilla, , toast one side as above, turn over, add topping to the toasted side as above for a crunchy thin pizza style

L

Lewes

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Sausage and beans is really the only one that I can remember now. There was one particular that was best avoided at all cost but can't remember what flavour that was.
Ah! That would be Mutton Scotch Style if I remember correctly. The only thing you could do to make it edible was put curry powder in it. That’s the MOD for you!

P

Prycey13

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone else got a thing about not cooking in the van? . With this in mind I pretty much only bbq when I’m in my cali. Sunshine = bbq, rain = bbq, weather were you wonder whether keeping the awning out = bbq. To be fair I just like bbq even did the turkey on the kamado at Xmas.

my fav road trip meal…

ring of 40 chicken wings - slow cooked on the Cobb. (Use plate and then put wire rack on top to keep off direct heat - I use tin foil wedges to get the rack even higher into the dome) - cook for 1hr 30mins. (Rub wings before cooking with 1 tbsp of each: Onion salt, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, mustard powder, cayenne pepper & sugar and yes I keep these all in the van )

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Anyone else got a thing about not cooking in the van? . With this in mind I pretty much only bbq when I’m in my cali. Sunshine = bbq, rain = bbq, weather were you wonder whether keeping the awning out = bbq. To be fair I just like bbq even did the turkey on the kamado at Xmas.

my fav road trip meal…

ring of 40 chicken wings - slow cooked on the Cobb. (Use plate and then put wire rack on top to keep off direct heat - I use tin foil wedges to get the rack even higher into the dome) - cook for 1hr 30mins. (Rub wings before cooking with 1 tbsp of each: Onion salt, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, mustard powder, cayenne pepper & sugar and yes I keep these all in the van )
I presume you don't have a kitchen at home then. :thumb :Iamsorry

VW California Club