Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What size and make of tyres come with Woodstocks?

Grigio Van Grigio

Grigio Van Grigio

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all,

Hoping to hear from people who have recently taken delivery of a California with 17” Woodstocks. What size tyres were supplied as standard (i.e. if you didn’t specifically specify all weather tyres)? Seems most likely they will be 215/60’s but I have heard of 235/55’s being fitted which provide a better ride. I’m hoping I’ve not messed up here not specifying better tyres!

Also, would be interested to to know make/model of tyre too. Seems Continental VanContact most likely.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I’ve ordered my van with Woodstocks and the standard equipment on the configurator says:

Tyres 215/60 R17 C 109/107T with optimised rolling resistance

So I am expecting those.

I’ve ordered my van with Woodstocks and the standard equipment on the configurator says:

Tyres 215/60 R17 C 109/107T with optimised rolling resistance

So I am expecting those.
Cheers. My order form shows 235/60 R17 with optimised rolling resistance. I suspect that’s a typo.

235/55 R17 is the other standard size. I think the actual tyres you will receive depends on what they have in stock. Bridgestone Turanza are a common one. Just changed the fronts on my Beach from those to Michelin Crossclimate 2 and the difference in grip is very noticeable.

235/55 R17 is the other standard size. I think the actual tyres you will receive depends on what they have in stock. Bridgestone Turanza are a common one. Just changed the fronts on my Beach from those to Michelin Crossclimate 2 and the difference in grip is very noticeable.
When you say “the other standard size” do you think is possible they could come on 235/55’s or just that you could use that size when it comes to replacement?

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Michelin CC on this forum. Maybe it’s a mute point and I should just swap out for MCC’s when I get it (if I’m not happy with the ride) and try to get some money for the supplied 215/60’s.

The tyre pressure label on the inside of the B pillar lists two tyre sizes for 17 inch wheels. One is the 235 size and the other is the 215.
I would just use whatever your van comes with and then swap out once they are worn.
Our Beach started off with 16 inch wheels that I happily used for the first year and then bought a set of brand new Devonports that someone had swapped out on pickup. To be honest I’m not sure I really noticed a real difference in ride quality.

You’re probably right Kayleigh. Very sensible. That CaliforniaTime vid on the difference between the 215/235’s has got me worried! I’m currently in a 2001 Cali T4 so the tyre choice is unlikely to be the defining factor in my impression of the quality of ride.

When you placed your order, there was a no cost option to have "235/55 R 17 with optimised rolling resistance". If you didn't tick that option, you will get 215/60's, van tyres. Which have stiffer side walls giving a firmer ride, the downside, the upside, they last longer.

Cheers SusiBus. I can’t quite remember but I’m sure I would have ticked a non cost option for tyres so maybe I did! The order form says “235/60R17 Tyres with Optimised Rolling Resistance” so it’s either the 235 that’s a typo or 60!

Cheers SusiBus. I can’t quite remember but I’m sure I would have ticked a non cost option for tyres so maybe I did! The order form says “235/60R17 Tyres with Optimised Rolling Resistance” so it’s either the 235 that’s a typo or 60!
As you say 235/60/17 is probably a typo but that size fits and gives a more accurate speedo reading.
The small gain in sidewall height gives slightly better pothole absorbtion plus about 2 MPH gain at 70 MPH.
I have that size fitted with the Michelin CrossClimate SUV 106 load rating.
Very unlikely that VW will supply Michelins due to cost factor.

Back