Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's in your Cali Larder?

scraynes

scraynes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Going into my 4th year with the cali next season and each year I get more and more organised.

Just wondering what you all carry in the larder if you cook in the cali. Salt and pepper and the like, what will you not leave home without?

So far only a few weeks into ownership, teabags and biscuits :)

Sorry but had to use Google translate the word larder....?

We always carry a basic package of stuff of provisions in tin cans to make sure we always can cook a meal in case we are remote .
Leaving home we take fresh food for a few days and shop allong the way ....
So we do cook in (or outside) the Cali.

There are some on here taking all kinds of suff to cook like ovens,BBQ,....
So that all depends on what you will be cooking
Some got thier Cali sevral years and never used the cooker other than making a cup of tea....

Whats actually in the provisions is to much to sum up here , the basics like sugar,salt&pepper,pasta&bread,jam, milk&butter,...
Tin cans soup,veggies,potatoos,sauciges,.....
Candybars,chips;)

Lots to read in the cooking section
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forums/cooking-bbq.190/

We have a fully loaded larder draw with about a weeks works of food in the form of wayfarers, rice and a couple of tins etc. Muesli bars etc. The freezer at home has vac packed Mary berry meals ready to grab on a Friday night should the weather look good for a coming weekend and we can go at the drop if a hat.

Last edited:
Biscuits, Tea, coffee, Hot Chocolate. UHT milk ( I like it ), Porridge Pots and Be Well Expedition Meals if I cannot be bothered shopping. We carry a weeks supply as they have a 2 yr shelf life.
http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/Wet-Meals/

Wine, gin, rum, good ale and salad cream
Some snakes to complement the liquids.

IMG_5838.JPG IMG_5839.JPG A high security baked bean tin....not that I have a Cali yet, but I will in Feb, the excitement, I can hardly control myself.

+1 for hot drink stuff
and dry pasta and jar pesto (in winter) + couple of tins of soup

One quick meal just in-case we do not find a local shop. We tend to shop local on trips as we tend to tour farm shops eggs from road side etc part of the trip meeting the local providers

Always fully loaded with ...Tin of soup, sachets of tomato ketchup, salt and pepper, pasta, pasta sauce, olive oil, plain flour, sugar, hot choc, marshmallows and coffee. Then just add eggs, milk, choc, lemon juice. We can last a few meals but tend to buy fresh local produce. My daughter prefers pancakes for breakfast rather than a fry up.

Interesting replies - should have added that generally the wife stays at home and I'm with the 2 boys (3 and 8) - so looking for simple quick solutions. I've always got biscuits, crisps (carbs) and coffee of course, just trying to come up with a list of long life stuff that will give flexible meals for all of us

The dried expedition type stuff is pretty good and has a longish life.. If quick meals are needed tins are handy and probably the best long term solution. For tea at home we don't buy milk general just get UHT cartons from Costo.

Tinned M&S hot chicken curry! Don't knock it until you've tried it! Honestly it is brilliant for when you rock up late on a Friday night after work.

I spoil myself in Albert with food. Most of the clothes I take are utilitarian outdoor wear that is terribly functional, mostly Rohan and Berghaus, but not terribly exciting.

However, food? I spoil myself with my staples.

Olara rich organic Muesli, nothing else: Rwandan red bourbon ground coffee: Zaytoun olive oil of course, and Za'atar, just in case I ever cook lamb, Brown rice Udon noodles, and artisan taboulah, both just boil water and eat. Heinz cup soups, and Waitrose spicy tomato and red pepper cup soups are stand-by's, take up no room, again just need boiling water. Clearspring Avocado oil and Meridian roast sesame oil for flavourings are normally present as well.

Tinned M&S hot chicken curry! Don't knock it until you've tried it! Honestly it is brilliant for when you rock up late on a Friday night after work.
Their tinned chicken supreme is ace also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_4611.JPG

Recipes for those with "two rings"! Although after a hot curry there is probably another way to describe that sensation.

Good thread actually. Tinned curry from M&S sounds like a very good idea to try as easy and tasty.

Our little top tip is we carry a small compartmentalised box in which we put our "stolen" salt, pepper, sugar, ketchup, mayo/salad cream sachets which we pick up regularly when we frequent fast food or coffee outlets. Takes up little space and handy for "thymes" when we need to season our meals.

Back