Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you use your Cali for?

M

muttley

Guest User
A strange question this, and probably fairly controversial: I just wondered how many owners tend to use their Cali for weekends / short breaks, and have a 'main' holiday which doesn't involve the Cali?

We toured France last summer, and had a great time, but next year we will leave the Cali at home for the summer holidays. Just in case anyone wonders why on earth you would buy a campervan, then jet off on holiday, there are a lot of places I would like to see that the Cali just can't get me to. And sometimes I am looking for luxury rather than adventure...

Simon

Camping , vw shows , cycling , weekend trips and days out .. Use for work sometimes as well when and if needed. I can't really use for my main holidays ,as I prefer a resort or hotel :)

muttley said:
A strange question this, and probably fairly controversial: I just wondered how many owners tend to use their Cali for weekends / short breaks, and have a 'main' holiday which doesn't involve the Cali?

We toured France last summer, and had a great time, but next year we will leave the Cali at home for the summer holidays. Just in case anyone wonders why on earth you would buy a campervan, then jet off on holiday, there are a lot of places I would like to see that the Cali just can't get me to. And sometimes I am looking for luxury rather than adventure...

Simon

I am open minded and believe in a variety of holidays like you Simon.

The Cali serves us well in its role as a campervan for camping holidays and weekends away especially in the summer. Also it serves us well for some great days out, as a base, including days out like the Eastbourne and Shoreham airshow this year. So we love our Cali. :thumb

However, we also love our holidays in the Sun especially in the winter when you can't beat a trip to the Caribbean staying in a luxury hotel. :D :p

John

we use are calie all year round for camping .not a daily driver .like doing vw shows uk and euro .going to lemans spa etc .go to london camping a lot and love going to bath camping .all so doing runs to the tip .was good last year towing my beetle cabrio around doing my resto .these are ace vans .but the T4 westie made by vw is a better van . :eek: [album]999[/album]

we bought ours so i could get a picture into the 2014 calender,
but failed miserably
:sad
Dave and Lisa

Use mine for weekends away hiking, european trips & is my daily transport, so for everything including dreaded trips to supermarket.

Holidays, an extra "car" when needed, load lugger.

Currently sat on the driveway a fair bit not being used. Will use it a lot from about March. Another month away planned for August in it.

We use it for everything. Holidays, weekends and small family transport.

Though if I had to commute, I probably wouldn't use the Cali (I cycle to work and my wife works from home). I've a Golf Mk1 as a little plaything, but she never comes out the garage, unless the sun is shining. Lots. :)

Its my only (motorised) means of transport so gets used for everything. Had a 2 wk holiday in it this year plus couple of other long weekends away camping. Biggest benefit I've found in the 11mths of ownership is as a day van when out cycling/running/triathlons etc.
I do use it for commuting but only on average 1 day a week, other times I commute by bike. If that changed I would look to getting something small and cheap to run around in.

I don't see why it should be controversial. It's your van after all. Do with it what you will. I imagine that with the number of vans out there, you will see every type of use case imagineable, from a daily drive/car with nice facilities for the kids to folks that only ever holiday in the van etc.

Me? I like to get away for lots of weekends. I would happily spend all my holidays in it - short ones, long ones, extended ones etc but then, I am not a fan of hotels and I am not a great fan of flying.

Back