Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel nut question...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Looking to buy some 'genuine' BBS wheels (like in the pic) for my T4 (trying to keep it original!)... Have found plenty of choice in Germany!
A question though... Will the wheel nuts for the steel wheels (also original), be the same as those needed for these alloys? Or I need to source a set of new nuts - if so what do I need to order?

Thanks!

(... the questions will slow down eventually...promise :talktothehand)

BBS 16 inch wheel - T4.jpg

Questions are good, being new myself im asking loads. As far as this particular question goes I do not know the answer. But experience tells me from previous cars that the taper must be the same angle for seating against the alloy/ steel wheel. A thought that I you are refurbing the wheels a nice new set of nuts will look nice, and not have potential rust drips.

Do not know in this case but in most cases wheelnuts from steel rims are not compateble for alu rim use....
Think you best try asking a local tyre center.

I don't think so. I'm running Audi A4 wheels on my T4 and I have different wheel nuts. Head taper is different.

Either make sure you get 5 wheels or keep a set of steel wheel nuts onboard for a tyre change.

**Update**... so it seems I almost fell foul of a case of mistaken identity... Seems the wheel in the pic above are not the correct BBS... These are BBS, but from a VW Sharan - they look almost identical but have a different 'ET' rating which means they're going to catch on the calipers (they're also not rated for as much weight as the official T4 version). Did a bit of homework and seems this is a common mistake made (obviously Sharan wheels are more abundant on the second-hand market and are often sold with the tag line of 'also for T4'...). Luckily hadn't already bought them...
The Sharan wheels have code: 7M0 601 025 G
The correct code for the T4 is: 7D0 601 025 B (close!)
Anyway, just thought I'd share the info...
Will continue my search for a good set!

As for the nuts... I've found a few posts elsewhere that suggest if they're genuine original equipment, then the nuts for the steel and alloy should be the same... But the jury's still out on that one...

Nuts on the T5 are the same but not sure about the T4. After all, the spare is usually a steel and no separate nuts come for that.

Back