Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will campsites reopen ?

Duncan

Duncan

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
When do we think campsites reopen ? If they do, would we be happy using a sink in the toilet in the toilet blick that has had toothpaste spat out by several dozen people before you ? I can see Campsites maybe opening just for self contained units

When do we think campsites reopen ? If they do, would we be happy using a sink in the toilet in the toilet blick that has had toothpaste spat out by several dozen people before you ? I can see Campsites maybe opening just for self contained units
When we are allowed to travel again I can't see any reason why they should not open for self contained units as long as the pitches are well spaced.

The CCC and C and MC will open their sites when allowed and I would think they will wait until government approval. As far as Scotland is concerned travel will be limited until similar approval as the country slowly gets back to some form of normality. The fear factor has to be overcome first.

Over here in NL the camp sites never really closed. In some provinces they have, but in most they have not. All shower- and toiletblocks are closed. The sites are open just for self contained units. Meaning that if you bring a porta potti you are allowed to stay. They do however have quite strict rules and allow only half or sometimes a third of the campers they normally would. At the same time we're urged to not travel any more then nessecary, so crossing the country to go to a camp site is frowned upon.

If there is any venue that can be controlled it is a campsite, we are self contained and even access to washrooms can be managed easily.
1st June?

Over here in NL the camp sites never really closed. In some provinces they have, but in most they have not. All shower- and toiletblocks are closed. The sites are open just for self contained units. Meaning that if you bring a porta potti you are allowed to stay. They do however have quite strict rules and allow only half or sometimes a third of the campers they normally would. At the same time we're urged to not travel any more then nessecary, so crossing the country to go to a camp site is frowned upon.
Sounds like a very sensible approach. On the first weekend of lockdown we were planning a short trip to a “no facilities“ site in the middle of forest. We didn’t go but in reality we would have been more isolated than at home and would have been close to home should there have been a problem.

At the moment it's all assumptions - I don't think anyone knows yet; not even perhaps gov. Each country (including Scotland and Wales) are bound to do things differently which will be really confusing! Glad I hadn't bought the site on Ardnamurchan!

At the moment it's all assumptions - I don't think anyone knows yet; not even perhaps gov. Each country (including Scotland and Wales) are bound to do things differently which will be really confusing! Glad I hadn't bought the site on Ardnamurchan!

I agree with that. And it also depends on the overall mix of restrictions that each government (Westminster and the devolved administrations) decides to implement for phase 2, for which there will be trade-offs to keep overall disease transmission within the target R<1.

For example, some European countries are allowing some travel but with limitations, eg Germany I think is allowing people only to travel within 100km of their homes.

I certainly will not be using any communal facilities, they still say the virus can survive on surfaces for over 24 hours, that would be toilets, sinks, showers etc.. being deep cleaned after every use. I am not sure how any campsite would action this especially on a busy campsite

When will campsites re-open?

Now let me see.
20200501_092916.jpg

Seriously, I'm not sure anyone can give an answer to that question at the moment. I just hope it's sometime soon but only if it presents minimal risk and suitable control measures are in place. The trouble is that campsites vary so much in their nature and management.

A campsite shower/toilet block could be a real breeding ground for the virus, I think it would be impossible to manage unless it is one of these fancy campsites where you get your own bathroom

In my industry we are expecting an update statement from the gov any day now, I would wait and see what that says.

I know in Cali you have your own water supply but we don't in our camper - well I suppose I could do as we have space for a large water container and do have electric pump to sink but..........I suppose on a site as long as the tap is away from toilets it should be simple enough to keep clean - spray anti-bac over complete tap and let run to wash away residue (although Trump seemed to think disinfectant was ok to drink) before filling containers then next person does the same? Everything else we can do in camper :rolleyes:

Motorway services, fast food chain WCs public Lavs with holes
poked through the cubicle stinking of p1ss
are all far worse than any campsite facilities that ive seen.

It's a lot easier not to touch stuff in a normal public toilet when you are in and out. There are small things like putting your wash bag down on a surface that is contaminated, or hanging your towel on a contaminated hook. Campsite bathrooms can't be compared to a public loo !!!

Personally, certainly initially, We will only be doing day trips. Very early start and leave before the crowds arrive to return home. After all, its not what you do its what others do that matters in the long run and I'm afraid there are members of society who cannot be trusted to do the right/correct thing and they will be out in their droves.
If you want to be safe then you only do those things that you can control.

I'd have no problem visiting a site as soon as they reopen if I knew my family was immune. We've had symptoms and I suspect we've had it.

This is where testing comes in. When the antibody tests become widely available and you can confirm that you've been exposed to it and have immunity then you could resume some level of normality.

My impression is that the travel and tourism sector will be the last to have restrictions eased so testing has got to be a priority. Not just testing people with current symptoms, wholesale tests for everyone to see whether they've had it and are clear.

I certainly will not be using any communal facilities, they still say the virus can survive on surfaces for over 24 hours, that would be toilets, sinks, showers etc.. being deep cleaned after every use. I am not sure how any campsite would action this especially on a busy campsite
Take spray when you go in.

There is a campsite locally, attached to a pub (Observing closure rules) that has continued to operate. Several towed caravans and a Great White or two appear to have been resident for the past three weeks at least in their back and front fields. All are well separated. I reserve my view on whether it is appropriate.
Personally, before venturing out I will wait to see what the C&CC says about its Club sites re-opening, and then be 'Governed' by what Mrs Db says. As usual.

Could be various reasons for them being there. Great white may be there home? The caravans might be builders who can't stay in B&B etc. I have a job where a joiner/fitter is staying at bottom of site during the week in his caravan towed behind his work van.

errr….some tooth paste in a sink won't attack you, don't rub it in your face. wash your hands and walk out. not hard.