Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where are you going this weekend?

James said:
Well we had a lovely time driving round mid Devon. Stayed at Marles Farm Campsite. No showers but hook up, clean toilet block and lovely location. Just a small field but a lovely site

Then we drove to Putts Farm who refused us on the grounds that the Beach did not have a kitchen. She said that as camper and caravan club in site she wouldn't accept the Beach as it had no kitchen. There was a slightly farcical scene where she asked to check the van. I pointed out it had a fixed bed but to no avail. She didn't seem to like my Maplins inverter either.

I kind of got her point but it seemed a bit ridiculous anyhow drove on to Wincanton, had a lovely meal and then home.

I am astounded by this!!... are you a member of the Caravan Club James... if so, surely this requires clarification??

Surprised at C&CC with this, as they cater for tents etc as well... oddly, if you'd had a £15 tesco popup tent there wouldn't have been a problem.

Fairly common however with Caravan Club sites where they tend to apply their rules fairly ridgedly and it's well documented in their regulations.

Fairly basic requirements, fixed bed, storage, fitted gas and running water.

James, suspect you did the right thing in just moving on, no point in arguing... their site, their rules (Logical or not) All you'll do is wind yourself up more by getting into too much of an argument.

There are plenty of other sites who would love your business and wouldn't you prefer to stay at a site that was more welcoming? ;)

That being said, same rules apply for insuring as a Camper/Motorhome with most companies.

SimplyDubs said:
Surprised at C&CC with this, as they cater for tents etc as well... oddly, if you'd had a £15 tesco popup tent there wouldn't have been a problem.

Fairly common however with Caravan Club sites where they tend to apply their rules fairly ridgedly and it's well documented in their regulations.

Fairly basic requirements, fixed bed, storage, fitted gas and running water.

James, suspect you did the right thing in just moving on, no point in arguing... their site, their rules (Logical or not) All you'll do is wind yourself up more by getting into too much of an argument.

There are plenty of other sites who would love your business and wouldn't you prefer to stay at a site that was more welcoming? ;)

That being said, same rules apply for insuring as a Camper/Motorhome with most companies.

That was my thoughts :)

I got why we were turned away and we went over the 'fixed bed' issue - it doesn't actually bother me that much. Most of our camping is 'ad hoc' - i.e.we drive somewhere then book as we find. We really enjoy this approach that said, we have booked prior to leaving lol.

It's like the well documented issue of the Beach as one thing on the V5, and not according to the DVLA, hence the occasional insurance query confusion.

I've PM'd you as well - I need a favour :)

James

Attachments

• devonhalfterm008_zpsead9f23e.jpg
    devonhalfterm008_zpsead9f23e.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
  • devonhalfterm044_zps640957ca.jpg
    devonhalfterm044_zps640957ca.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • devonhalfterm044_zps640957ca.jpg
    devonhalfterm044_zps640957ca.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
pabloalfa76 said:
Hi all,
Just back from Woolacombe.
Wild camped at Cartgate services on A303 on the way there, then 4 nights camping on site.
Weather not perfect, but had a great time meeting up with friends.
Paul & Ash

Where did you stay in woolacombe?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

pabloalfa76 said:
camped at Cartgate services on A303

Love that second picture. Glad we're not the only ones who sleep in service stations :D

dan

Most of the service stations I come across have a two hour limit. After this you have to pay. How do you get round this?

HistoryBob said:
Most of the service stations I come across have a two hour limit. After this you have to pay. How do you get round this?

Quite a few have a 10 pound overnight charge. We've stayed at Exeter services using this. Actually it was great.

James

We just pay the tenner.

You can not pay and they send you an invoice (which is worded like a fine), which you can ignore, it is possible, but unlikely that they'll take you to court for not paying.

I'd prefer to be camped somewhere nice, but often we are on the way somewhere far away and the services are convenient and have toilets.

Cartgate services were free to park ( we checked on-line before setting off as this seemed too good to be true ) It's handy if you have a dog, as lots of grass for walkies.

We stayed at Little roadway camp-site. It's got a little bit better since our last visit, with a children's play ground and hot showers.

Leave for France on Sunday for 7+ weeks, first ten days wild camping in the Correze/Dordgne area, further two weeks cycling in the French Pyrenees, then over to Mont Ventoux area for two weeks, then heading for Bormio Italy to do the Stelvio etc, back via Morzine, Alsace area, EXCITED

Plymouth to Santander on Sunday, arrive for my Birthday, five weeks I'm Northern Spain then SW France. Also excited!!

Back