Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to store wine?

When I was a young(er) chap wine boxes invariably contained something like Le Piat D'Or (remember: "Les Francais Adore Le Piat D'Or"? - Abhor, more like) or Austrian airport runway de-icer, or something with small print that said "product of more than one EEC country", the only saving grace being that after a glass or two you couldn't actually read the small print. So I must admit to being a bit shuddery about wine in boxes.

But if they now put decent stuff in boxes, it might well be something I'd look at again.
We get the same brand as the bottled variety we like, in cartons & can't tell any difference. If you have a favourite wine just look for a carton version or try a bottle before buying a bottle, more pleasure that way.

Cartons seem to be becoming more readily available over the last 2 years.

Agree that first foray into cartons was as you say pretty undrinkable but that was decades ago.

Does anyone remember Hungarian Bulls Blood?

When I was at Art College in the 70s it was all the rage with the sophisticated young art student. I purchased a bottle some time ago to relive those halcyon days. It tasted like battery acid. Actually it probably did then and that might be why I've lost most of my hair. :(

When I was at Art College in the 70s it was all the rage with the sophisticated young art student. I purchased a bottle some time ago to relive those halcyon days. It tasted like battery acid. Actually it probably did then and that might be why I've lost most of my hair. :(

Ah yes, Egri Bikaver (=Bulls Blood of Eger, I think). The stuff they used to ship to the UK in those days truly was paint stripper.

But on a family road trip in Hungary a couple of years ago we encountered Egri Bikaver again. I hadn't realised that it's actually the name given to most of the red wines from the Eger district... and the better ones are absolutely stonking. Great quality and exceptional value.

BTW if you happen to like dessert wines, some of the Hungarian Tokays (Tokaji) are quite splendid.

Of course - £1.75 a bottle.

I have been led to understand that the demise of Bulgarian wines from the shelves of British supermarkets is due to the opening up of the South African wine market. During the Apartheid era, South African wines were exported to Bulgaria where is was rebottled as Bulgarian wine.

I have been led to understand that the demise of Bulgarian wines from the shelves of British supermarkets is due to the opening up of the South African wine market. During the Apartheid era, South African wines were exported to Bulgaria where is was rebottled as Bulgarian wine.

So all those hours spent picketing outside the campus Barclays Bank branch were wasted, because we were then ending up quaffing the bloody SA plonk when we went back to our rooms to, err, do our essays???

We are addicted to French supermarket staple 'Les Ormes de Cambras' in 5 ltr boxes - our faves are the Merlot and the Cinsault/Grenache. Absolute nectar and cheap as chips. Doesn't last long once we get back from our holliberries though ...

I have never opened ours. Is it really that big?

Yes 5 bottles of red and a soft base to stop rattles . Room for things on top also ! Shame not to use it !

We are addicted to French supermarket staple 'Les Ormes de Cambras' in 5 ltr boxes - our faves are the Merlot and the Cinsault/Grenache. Absolute nectar and cheap as chips. Doesn't last long once we get back from our holliberries though ...

Call me old fashioned but I think the plastic will come back to haunt us .

Back