Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you store where?

Mark Ch

Mark Ch

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Whilst awaiting the arrival of a new Cali, I’m wondering what items you store where in the vehicle and why? I’ve read about ramps and hookup cables etc and I guess crockery, cutlery and food boxes under the cooker/sink. Anything else you’d like to share? Thanks in advance.

Ramps, hook-up cable and anything that will get dirty in under seat drawer. Although I have seem the hook-up cable stored on top of the battery in the engine bay, although a different place, I don't think I would in case of catching one of the connectors in that area. Crockery and pan under the sink.

Hook-up cable(s) between the chairs I the tailgate.

running/cycling kit in rear cupboards.

Clothes in under seat drawer and in wardrobe (including shoes)

Cleaning cloths, tea towels and Kleenex tissues in the airline type overhead compartment.

Cleaning stuff bottom left hand cupboard, washbag, towels, first aid kit, medicines bag, hair accessories top left.

Posh plates, cutlery roll in cutlery drawer (minus the cutlery compartment)

Disposable plates, some food, cooking utensil tool roll in upper right

Remoska, electric kettle, trangia nesting pans (sits nicely in the Remoska), ridge monkey in bottom right.

Hook-up cable(s) between the chairs I the tailgate.

running/cycling kit in rear cupboards.

Clothes in under seat drawer and in wardrobe (including shoes)

Cleaning cloths, tea towels and Kleenex tissues in the airline type overhead compartment.

Cleaning stuff bottom left hand cupboard, washbag, towels, first aid kit, medicines bag, hair accessories top left.

Posh plates, cutlery roll in cutlery drawer (minus the cutlery compartment)

Disposable plates, some food, cooking utensil tool roll in upper right

Remoska, electric kettle, trangia nesting pans (sits nicely in the Remoska), ridge monkey in bottom right.

This is very broadly my plan. Stuff you need when you wake up in the morning inside the living space, stuff you need when you arrive on site in the boot space.

We have a large purpose built bike shed in lieu of a garage at the front of our house. As well as six bikes, a tandem and a cargo trailer, it has plenty of space for all our camping equipment and supplementary seats.

Everything is stowed in crates and Muji drawers and takes a few minutes to load into the van.

Roof topper and thermal windscreen cover go in the tailgate with the chairs.

I think the best place for the hook up cable is the well tested engine compartment above the starter battery. I store a 30m cable in there, EEC type, impossible that there will be a short as one of the cable terminal is covered with a lid (EEC female).
Toys (lots of) in under bench seat together with a tool case, duct tape, a 5m rope. Ramps in the cavity next to the under seat bench drawer. Under sink and stove: Pans and pots, plates, crockery , food, waste bags, brita, electric kettle. Wardrobe next to fridge fitted with selfmade shelves to hold packing cubes for clothes. Rear cabinet, bottom shelf: IP44 5m extension cable, mallet, tent pegs, pliers and other tools, extendable wrench for tyre change. Mid shelf: 1 small box with water adapters and connectors, certisil for drinking water and EHU adapter for EU plugs, 1 USB electric fan, 1 small box with bike's spare tubes and tools, 1 box with bungee ball ties for the awning tent panels, spare soap bars etc . Upper shelf : ant repellent, bottles to fill up aquakem blue and one for aquakem pink flush, tube for heating upstairs. In the airplane shelf I have extra towels, hair dryer, extra toilet and kitchen paper, spare first aid kit.
It works well, but there's room for improvement. Every year, something goes out as never used, promptly to be replaced with new paraphernalia which will never be used.

3 different drive away awnings in the garage at home......
I can trump you on that, Andy. The driveaways I have at present:

1/ 3x3 m (plus tunnel) khyam Classic quick erect with add on extension and clip in bedroom (that was too wide for most club sites as we like to connect to the wind out awning, wound out), fitted okay when travelling in our old Toyota high top Hiace, but not so much space in the Cali. The Toyota was about 38cm slimmer than the Cali too.

2/ 2.4m (plus tunnel) khyam Tourer quick erect with extension and clip in bedroom (used it loads but it took a lot of knocks from bad weather so replaced with a new one and kept for spares, but would still be usable at a push).

3/ 2.4m (plus tunnel) replacement khyam Tourer quick erect, extension and clip in bedroom from the first one (because the "poles are a permanent attached frame a little long for travelling in the Cali and a nightmare to dry if brought home wet)

4/ 2 m (plus tunnel) Outdoor Revolution Outhouse Handi. Fantastic for utility/storage and great for short trips and festivals but not great for sitting in on longer trips. Have used it loads so it's very worse for wear now.

5/ 2x2m Khyam quick erect high tailgate (got for the toyota year before it died, only used once but too tall for the Cali, also the frame is very long). Has been used in the garden in lockdown as an outdoor cooking space/storage.

6/ 3x2.4m (plus tunnel) Outdoor Revolution carbon framed) with zip on side bedroom extension and clip in extra bedroom. Bought it when my sister said she wanted to start festivalling with us, then didn't. Fantastic quality, thick canvas and poles, but big and heavy (really a seasonal pitch type awning). Through lockdown has been used in the garden as a chill out zone and retreat.

7/ 1.85x3m (plus tunnel) Vango Faros to replace the Outhouse handi and be better to sit in (we did by the Air version - the Palm - but a little big and heavy for travelling). First try out will be Pembrokeshire coast soon.

Also have a Quechus popup toilet/shower tent that we use a lot for festivals and sites with no facilities and an Outdoor Revolution (2x1.5m) tall storage tent that I added a tunnel to (before the outhouse handi was on the market, never used since). From tenting and family parties a Vango 6 man and a 3 man tent.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but if you ever meet him, don't mention it as he rolls his eyes back so far he nearly goes unconcious.

I do intend one day to use try to use some of the sides from the old awnings to make a wind out awning room &/or a tailgate cover.

I also love a tarp and always carry one with an extra couple of poles and guys.

OMG, looking at this post, I think I need therapy! Me and you, Andy, should start an AA group. "Hi, I'm Elly and I'm addicted to awnings"! o_O

1/ 3x3 m (plus tunnel) khyam Classic quick erect with add on extension and clip in bedroom (that was too wide for most club sites as we like to connect to the wind out awning, wound out), fitted okay when travelling in our old Toyota high top Hiace, but not so much space in the Cali. The Toyota was about 38cm slimmer than the Cali too.

2/ 2.4m (plus tunnel) khyam Tourer quick erect with extension and clip in bedroom (used it loads but it took a lot of knocks from bad weather so replaced with a new one and kept for spares, but would still be usable at a push).

3/ 2.4m (plus tunnel) replacement khyam Tourer quick erect, extension and clip in bedroom from the first one (because the "poles are a permanent attached frame a little long for travelling in the Cali and a nightmare to dry if brought home wet)

4/ 2 m (plus tunnel) Outdoor Revolution Outhouse Handi. Fantastic for utility/storage and great for short trips and festivals but not great for sitting in on longer trips. Have used it loads so it's very worse for wear now.

5/ 2x2m Khyam quick erect high tailgate (got for the toyota year before it died, only used once but too tall for the Cali, also the frame is very long). Has been used in the garden in lockdown as an outdoor cooking space/storage.

6/ 3x2.4m (plus tunnel) Outdoor Revolution carbon framed) with zip on side bedroom extension and clip in extra bedroom. Bought it when my sister said she wanted to start festivalling with us, then didn't. Fantastic quality, thick canvas and poles, but big and heavy (really a seasonal pitch type awning). Through lockdown has been used in the garden as a chill out zone and retreat.

7/ 1.85x3m (plus tunnel) Vango Faros to replace the Outhouse handi and be better to sit in (we did by the Air version - the Palm - but a little big and heavy for travelling). First try out will be Pembrokeshire coast soon.

Also have a Quechus popup toilet/shower tent that we use a lot for festivals and sites with no facilities and an Outdoor Revolution (2x1.5m) tall storage tent that I added a tunnel to (before the outhouse handi was on the market, never used since). From tenting and family parties a Vango 6 man and a 3 man tent.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but if you ever meet him, don't mention it as he rolls his eyes back so far he nearly goes unconcious.

I do intend one day to use try to use some of the sides from the old awnings to make a wind out awning room &/or a tailgate cover.

OMG, looking at this post, I think I need therapy! Me and you, Andy, should start an AA group. "Hi, I'm Elly and I'm addicted to awnings"! o_O
How many pairs of shoes do you have in your van as well?

Not really a shoe kinda gal so Wellies, walking boots, crocs and maybe a pair of pumps.

16 pairs? or 32 pairs?

32 shoes = 16 pairs. (It always sounds twice as dramatic when I count shoes not pairs of shoes).

Clare has brought away 10 shoes.
The boys 8 shoes each.
And I have 6 shoes.

32 shoes = 16 pairs. (It always sounds twice as dramatic when I count shoes not pairs of shoes).

Clare has brought away 10 shoes.
The boys 8 shoes each.
And I have 6 shoes.
Standard Cali travel for 2 of us 8 pairs 16 shoes. We travel in walking shoes, have sketchers for inside the Cali, walking boots & wellies.

Standard Cali travel for 2 of us 8 pairs 16 shoes. We travel in walking shoes, have sketchers for inside the Cali, walking boots & wellies.

We have to factor in the size of shoes too.

Husband - size 13
Son 1 - size 14.5 (and he’s only 15)
Son 2 - size 8 (he still has some growing to do)
Me - size 8

The day the boys decide they don’t want to go away with mum and dad anymore there will be significant space available currently taken up by their shoes.

Generally clothing is packed per person. However, foot ware is packed by category.

Flip flops or crocs
Trainers
Walking boots/shoes

In addition, the boys and Clare have wellies.

In addition, Clare has sandals, bizarrely labelled waterproof.

Good morning,

To find the most effizient way to store items in the California is an ongoing quest. I believe it has a lot to do with the "camping / overnight stay workflow", which everybody has a different process.

Recently we did some changes (got shelves for wardrobe) and plan to get the drawer kit for under the sink. For August 2020 we have organised the storage like this:

Wardrobe (from boot)
  • Fans, small electric heater, LED lights, blankets
  • Safety box
  • Papers for the van, manuals (how to lower the roof in emergency) etc.

Drawer (boot)
  • Double size Euro box for awning tent
  • Euro boxes for food and cloth

Boot (on the shelve)
  • Bed duvets
  • cushions
  • jackets
  • bags to hold items needed for shower
  • ladder

Wardrobe
  • Cloth (on the new shelf)

Cupboard (left)
  • Pots and pans
  • radio
  • alufolie
  • plastic bags etc.

Cupboard (right)
  • Cubs
  • plates, etc.
  • coffee, tea, sugar etc.

Big drawer under the back seat
  • Electric cable for camping
  • step to get into the van
  • brushes
  • cleaning items

Small drawer under the back seat
  • Yellow vests (2x)
  • tools
  • flashing lights for emergency
  • alcohol test (France)
  • fire extinguisher

Storage on the ceiling (over the back seat)
  • Towels
  • small TV
Planned changes are to get the drawer set. At the moment we have 2x Ikea boxes on each shelf. To get the right box out, the left box has to be removed first. That annoys me. I hope that with drawers it will be better.

Also I try to store the matratze differently. If it is fully folded back on top of the back shelf, all the items for the bed and many other things are on top of it. This means each night everything has to be removed (where to put all of this in the rain?) before the matratze can be extended. I hope to have the 2x first sections of the matratze vertical and store the bed items on the last section. Doing so I will be able to move the back seat forward and extend the matratze without to remove everything that is on it.
Last year during our tour through Europe we had no problems, but the weather was wonderful and we stayed a lot outside of the van. During the last holidays the weather was rather bad. Moving everything away in heavy rain just to unfold the matratze for the night annoyed me. Let's see how it goes.

Happy California
Eberhard

Throw it all in, shuffle it about as you use it, see where it ends up ;)

Last edited:
Duvet, pillows, and a self inflating mattresses and partners clothes back on bag shelf. Under shelf, the walking boots, the wellies, foldable crate for dirty clothes (goes in driver footwell in evening), electric cable, and a water pipe (awning if taking), wheel lifts and awning strips down long left side. Packing cubes clothes in wardrobe (pertner says he'll try them next time too).
Airplane shelf has microfiber towels, and head torches, toilet roll,. Drawer under bench has books, bunting, lights, blanket, sun cream, etc, and anything we need to grab easily when inside.
Top left under sink has transparent clippit boxes with pasta, oatcakes, rice, noodles. Bottom left has 2 baskets, one with plates, bowls, and a other with mugs and glasses. Kitchen towel and small glass ixes fit behind the baskets too. Top right has foldable pans and ridge monkey and kettle. Bottom right had baskets with tinned food, coffee/teas etc.
We use the deep door pockets for wine/gin/tonic, and packed with tea towels, 4 bottles fit in each door!

Can you join them up together and make a humongous awning?

Ramps, hook-up cable and anything that will get dirty in under seat drawer. Although I have seem the hook-up cable stored on top of the battery in the engine bay, although a different place, I don't think I would in case of catching one of the connectors in that area. Crockery and pan under the sink.

I took someone's advice (possibly Welsh Gas) and cut my hook-up cable in two. One 10m and one 15m. Then Unless I need the full length (connectors on both) I only have to roll up 10 or 15m. Short one kept in battery compartment with a litre of oil and a bottle of screen wash.

Wardrobe - hanging jackets and 15" tv/DVD player
Under seat drawer - clothes
Under hob, drawer with cultery in single plastic (bacon box), plus other odds and sods
Under that, mugs, plates etc
Under that Frying pan/saucepan, cleaning brush (for floor) plus other bits and pieces
Folding bowl in pocket behind passenger seat
Site books/flouresecent jackets etc pocket behind driver's seat
I have velcroed a small tray (with 1.5" walls) to the top of the cooker/sink for loose items while in transit.
Small removable panel next to under seat drawwer - levelling ramps.
Cupboard above seat - pyjamas, walking trousers, towels, track suits.
Rear compartment - double sleeping bag/pillows/rucksacks
Under that with large slide out tray
1 x 64 litre box, 2 x 35 litre boxes containing: tools, jump starter/spade/tow rope/sand mats/electric hot plate/emergency gas stove/15m hook-up cable/crocs/water pipe/bivi loo/hiking boots/electric pump (for tyres). Kampa fan heater (cold weather)/recharcheable fan (hot weather)-
Rear cupboards - food/kitchen towels/hats/gloves etc

Well you did ask.

Last edited:
In general terms :
Inside compartment = everything you need on waking up.
• overhead drawer- toilet bags;towels, pj’s
• wardrobe - jackets, trousers, fleeces, shorts (on hangers)
(sitting on bottom -tyre inflator and plastic bag for dirty clothes)
•under hob /left / top - collapsible pots, wee kettle, coffee caffetierre coffee and tea bags (in small Tupperwares) Tupperware box holding plates, bowls, cups, tumblers x 2
under hob/left/bottom - fire blanket, foldable basin + washing up liquid + jcloths and tea towel, Tupperware box holding CO2 monitor( for use when sleeping) small brush set, torch, led lights for awning.
• under sink/ right - drawer cutlery
(We removed lower shelf to house Porta potti which is on arrival transferred to awning) toilet rolls and kitchen towel.
• bench seat drawer - Dogs harness for safe travel, dog ground spike set for securing, front window blinds, books crossword books, etc
•boot/ under shelf- chock n blocs, hook up, drive away awning, ladder, dogs mud daddy(shower), steering wheel lock .
• boot/shelf - foldable clothes holders ( T-shirt’s , underwear, socks pair of Keen sandals) x 2
sleeping bags and pillows x. 2
Tupperware box holding food ( that can’t go in fridge)
• boot cupboard shelves - dog food, dog towels, medical kit .
• fridge - everything that can go in !
Oh and we just purchased a Brandrup back of seat utility so there may be a few adjustments or additions !

Oh ps ... forgot this
Boot cupboard - collapsible water carrier ( we leave water hose at home after filling tank, unless a longer trip then it too has to squeeze in boot... we have the plastic covers for both the water hose and hook up as it keeps them ‘contained’ !)

Back