Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which alloys?

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
Looking for some alloy wheels to replace the steel ones on my T4 California. Plenty of wheels out their in second hand land, but do I need to look for anything special so they're suitable for the van?
Suspect they need to be reasonably heavy duty - how to tell?

Any advice is welcome!

Cheers,
Matt

Some wheels apparently have the weight loading stamped/cast on them. You need to ensure the weight loading/rating is high enough for the vehicle's axle weight (which you can divide by two, because each wheel bears half the load). If the wheel has no stamping to show its weight loading, then you can try to look them up online if you know the model. The only problem is that you cannot be sure your second hand alloys are 'the real deal' because apparently there are cheap copies out there which are not made to the same standard.

I'd be tempted to wait until the tyres are low on your existing wheels and then buy either second hand genuine OEM wheels with tyres fitted, or get new wheel + tyre deals online, from a reputable dealer (and you can find out the weight loading for all new wheels relatively easily). Personally, I would not consider buying used wheels unless I was completely sure they are genuine and can be relied upon not to break under the Cali's weight. That could have terrible consequences of course.

I forget their name but the 16" alloys that came on the late 150hp Westy's are (imho) your best investment. I have got the part number filed away somewhere (from a chat with a German owner who showed me that in Germany you have to prove (Via part number) that your alloys are correct spec, so it appears on their MOT).
westfalia_california_coach_event_150_hp_7460114444942969516.jpg
They are not easy to track down, but good looking, good size and official.
If I was buying a Cali with non official alloys, I'd prefer it to come on steelies. I think the key is keeping them original /official.

Some newer alloys may have german TÜV certification so you can be sure they will be OK on the vehicle in question. I know some of the 'Platin' wheels are TÜV certificated, but no idea if any are made for the T4. T5/6 - for sure.

Back