Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which batteries are being used by my Aux Heater please.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi again Andy.
Going to run the heater again to test this and see if i get the starter battery low message again but I’m now thinking I may have jumped the wrong conclusion and the reason was just that the battery was very very cold and dropped voltage. What do you reckon?
Possible, but unlikely if the engine battery was properly charged prior to engine switch off, unless you have the electric sliding door which was used a lot, or repeated use of the dashboard radio while camping. One other possibility is vehicle lights being left on such as parking side lights, or if the indicator is left in the Turn position when Ignition is off then the side lights can be on , on that side.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Possible, but unlikely if the engine battery was properly charged prior to engine switch off, unless you have the electric sliding door which was used a lot, or repeated use of the dashboard radio while camping. One other possibility is vehicle lights being left on such as parking side lights, or if the indicator is left in the Turn position when Ignition is off then the side lights can be on , on that side.
Thanks @WelshGas
Possibly the electric sliding door then? I haven’t done any long trips in the last week or so and I probably have opened/closed the door a fair bit for various reasons, so maybe the battery wasn’t fully charged prior to the cold night. All seems good at the moment and my Epever charge controller is showing a healthy starter battery.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Thanks @WelshGas
Possibly the electric sliding door then? I haven’t done any long trips in the last week or so and I probably have opened/closed the door a fair bit for various reasons, so maybe the battery wasn’t fully charged prior to the cold night. All seems good at the moment and my Epever charge controller is showing a healthy starter battery.
Apparantly doesn’t take many operations to flatten the engine battery if not on EHU . Why they offer that as an option on a camper without being able to switch off the automatic function AND making it as easy to use as the manual door, or have the ability to switch to Leisure Battery I just don’t know. Just the same as powering the radio from the engine battery in a camper.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Apparantly doesn’t take many operations to flatten the engine battery if not on EHU . Why they offer that as an option on a camper without being able to switch off the automatic function AND making it as easy to use as the manual door, or have the ability to switch to Leisure Battery I just don’t know. Just the same as powering the radio from the engine battery in a camper.
Actually I can switch off the electric door via a dashboard switch and open it manually. Might just have to bear that in mind in future.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
If you even remotely suspect its the sliding door it should be easy to replicate if you've got nothing better to do one afternoon , just keep opening & shutting it to see if you can flatten the battery.

Actually there's a bit more to it than that, I assume everytime you operate it the interior lights are coming on, & its waking up the canbus system etc .

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Actually I can switch off the electric door via a dashboard switch and open it manually. Might just have to bear that in mind in future.
I know you can do that, but some have complained the door is not as easy to use as the manual door, as all the switch does is switch the motor off but not disengage it. I think you may find that was the cause coupled with the cold weather which does degrade battery function.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Do you know what size fuse protects the slider? It would give a useful indicator of possible current draw.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Do you know what size fuse protects the slider? It would give a useful indicator of possible current draw.
On the T5.1 it’s a 20 amp fuse. Cannot see it being any less on the T6 or 6.1.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Electric sliders have 40a fuses
That's even worse. So probably about 3 to 4 amps per Open/Close cycle. Wouldn't take many cycles to drop a Starter battery only charged to 80% capacity below the engine start threshold.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Electric sliders have 40a fuses
My mistake , 40amp and 20 amp for sliding door, the 20amp probably for the soft close function.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Thanks all, very informative. I’m now convinced that was the issue and not the Aux Heater fans. Will check in due course.