Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Dashcam

• Thread starter WooburnCalifornia
  • Start date
M

Martin Croft

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Careful with hardwiring kits, the can be poorly screened and kill your DAB signal.
I changed mine for an online 12v socket, hidden behind the lower dash, and plugged in the original cigar lighter cable - DAB faultless.
As for my dashcam, Transcend 200 prodrive - very wide angle, good in most lights, adjustable g-force activation (limits pothole activating it) no GPS or speed reading (might be an advantage?).
Completely agree. which is why I'm going with the professional install route. Screening should not be a problem if there is screening to the PSU needs good earthing and this also speaks of the DAB unit too.

T

Tufty_B

Have to disagree I have losts of SanDisk micro cards & only had one fail. They have good warranty if you register them on their website some with 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Andy,
We all have different views/experiences of companies and their products, mine has not been good in relation to Sandisk and if you Google the company then you'll see that I'm not alone.
I've bought well over 50 micro SD cards over the years and I'm guessing around 15 would have been Sandisks. Back when they were very expensive I had one fail and returned it under warranty at my expense (to a country outside of the UK) and there was only an online return process and no phone number to call. Months passed and I had no reply from Sandisk and they ignored my emails so I gave up on it. A year later, almost to the day a package arrived at my house and inside was a replacement memory card with a note stating that it was a replacement for the faulty one sent, oddly it arrived from another country from which I had sent mine to originally and after a bit of digging I discovered that Sandisk had relocated their returns dept to another country. I can only assume that it got mislaid internally within their company and then eventually once found it was processed.

Since then I've never bothered returning faulty memory cards because the cost can be more than buying a new one.

All of my 15 odd Sandisk cards have died compared to only one or two of other makes of which I had had dozens of.

T

Tufty_B

Have to disagree I have losts of SanDisk micro cards & only had one fail. They have good warranty if you register them on their website some with 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Just to make people aware, Sandisk memory cards are covered for a range of 1 year to lifetime (whatever lifetime actually means under consumer law, I don't know), anyway there are exemptions to the warranty and they categorically state that use in dash cams is not covered as shown below (extract from their website https://www.sandisk.co.uk/about/legal/warranty/warranty-emea):
This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): ...(iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras

There's a note that they do have high endurance products (SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring microSDHC/microSDXC Card) for this purpose however the warranty is only 2 years.

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I've been in the market for a dashcam and after reading through here I decide to research it a bit further. There are a lot of review sites but this one in particular http://www.techmoan.com is really good mainly because he is British. Most sites tended to be American and some products may not be available here and some products were ruled out due to hot weather conditions which we don't have too much of a problem with ;)

I went with his suggestion the A119 and while it seems to be pretty good I'm having some mounting issues due to the multiple sensors behind the mirror area on my car, but that isn't the camera's fault. I think I may go for a professional install when the Cali arrives though.
If you consider travelling on holiday in southern Europe at some point, you may as well take the heat issue into consideration. It can get extremely hot. We often use the blinds when parking, but it does not cover the DC.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Careful with hardwiring kits, the can be poorly screened and kill your DAB signal.
I changed mine for an online 12v socket, hidden behind the lower dash, and plugged in the original cigar lighter cable - DAB faultless.
As for my dashcam, Transcend 200 prodrive - very wide angle, good in most lights, adjustable g-force activation (limits pothole activating it) no GPS or speed reading (might be an advantage?).
GPS & speed are pretty much essential as evidence as is time and date stamp when providing insurance or police with video evidence.

Stoneybroke

Stoneybroke

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
GPS & speed are pretty much essential as evidence as is time and date stamp when providing insurance or police with video evidence.
Agreed on the tone/date.
Speed... Bear in mind only your speed is shown, not that of anyone else... Self incrimination? 35 in a 30 (not that I would ever....!)

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Agreed on the tone/date.
Speed... Bear in mind only your speed is shown, not that of anyone else... Self incrimination? 35 in a 30 (not that I would ever....!)
Personal case -
I was stationary in a queue when the vehicle in front rolled back into me. On video it wasn't possible to tell if I had run into the back of the vehicle in front or as actually happened it had rolled back into me. The speed trace showed that I was stationary and confirmed my claim was valid.

Once you realise that the DC records (potentially) all of your driving it does make for more speed limit awareness. Personal mobile speed camera on board.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I don't have one but by chance was fitting 2 new cross climate tyres before my son takes the van off to Greece for 2 months and they happen to be giving free dashcams for the next two months. No idea if these are any good but they seem to be a mainstream brand. Mine hasn't arrived yet and wont be here before he leaves ! http://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/special-offers/claim-a-free-dash-cam-with-michelin-crossclimate
Tried to get info on that model without success although the manufacturer also supplies the RAC brand DC's. Probably a low spec camera but better than nothing.

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’m having the new Blackvue DR-750S 2ch professionally installed on Friday. 60fps at the front at full HD and Sony sensors on both cameras. Spec looks a big step up from the DR-650S. Will be speaking to the installer regarding the DAB signal.

Shane Bennett

Shane Bennett

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’m having the new Blackvue DR-750S 2ch professionally installed on Friday. 60fps at the front at full HD and Sony sensors on both cameras. Spec looks a big step up from the DR-650S. Will be speaking to the installer regarding the DAB signal.
I really prefer the form factor on the Blackvue and the other features. Also after attempting to run the wires on my current one I gave up, it's too much faff. I think I'm going to return the A119 and then just get a professional install on the Blackvue.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I really prefer the form factor on the Blackvue and the other features. Also after attempting to run the wires on my current one I gave up, it's too much faff. I think I'm going to return the A119 and then just get a professional install on the Blackvue.
After watching the installation of a Nextbase 512GW by Halford's technician and the difficulty encountered I was glad I didn't attempt it myself.
Was on free fit offer at the time, but would pay.

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This is currently top of my list. If you don’t mind me asking where did you source it from or is the fitter supplying it as well?

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
This is currently top of my list. If you don’t mind me asking where did you source it from or is the fitter supplying it as well?
Installer is supplying it and the Power Magic Pro.

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
How are finding it?....not got my van yet but having one fitted to my wifes audi tomorrow as a trial run.
I’ve hardly driven the Cali since it was fitted so I can’t really comment that valuably. What I can say, after an initial play, is that both cameras are neat when installed, the app communicates fine and events triggered by me seemed to work fine.

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Had ours (750s) in for a couple of days (Audi not cali yet). Getting lots of impact notifications during driving mode. Have the driving mode sensitivity low at 1-2 so guessing that either needs to be off or I turn notifications off.

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My one (nextbase) starts recording as soon as it powers up, that's why I thought I am best wiring it to the ignition, I'm getting confused on what to do now