Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

We have the BMW i3 120Ah, owned it for two years, zero issues after 50.000km. We are going to keep it for many years, key to loosing as little money as possible, buy what you want and keep it.

My son in law swears by Volvo, so it’s got to be a Polestar..
It's a bit big for a runaround, but we're pretty happy with ours.

Hands down the best, and according to the kids, the coolest car we've had.

I like the little Honda

Me too.
It’s a handsome fella…
Maybe, it’s because I’m an 80s kid, but I love the styling. Plus it’s a Honda.
Who would you trust with a software driven car, Volkswagen or Honda…?

Who would you trust with a software driven car, Volkswagen or Honda…?
Or Google? Polestar have also had issues and that's with Google built in.

I think software is the modern cars weakest link.

Great when they work, but bloomin frustrating when they don't.

I think the thing that frustrates me most is when they push out software updates that haven't been fully tested. They're using real world customers to test stuff out.

Some of this stuff is critical and they won't operate without it.

The T6.1 roof thing for example. That's just not on. The roadside assist guys should be equipped to fix it immediately on site.

Or better still VW push them out over the air like Polestar and Tesla do.

I think the thing that frustrates me most is when they push out software updates that haven't been fully tested. They're using real world customers to test stuff out.

Some of this stuff is critical and they won't operate without it.

The T6.1 roof thing for example. That's just not on. The roadside assist guys should be equipped to fix it immediately on site.

Or better still VW push them out over the air like Polestar and Tesla do.
Don't VW ever push them out over the air?

Don't VW ever push them out over the air?
I don't know. Maybe on their passenger cars, but I haven't heard about it on commercial vehicles yet.

Fingers crossed it's coming.

I think I have decided that the perfect complement to our Cali ocean is to have an electric car for the everyday journeys we make. I wondered if I might pick you collective brains on the following questions that I am pondering.

1. Should I go for the VW ID3, Hyundai Kona or Kia E Niro? Any thoughts or experiences of these cars?

2. What's the best way of going about buying a new car? is it best to go with the cheapest Carwow/drive the deal quotes or are there advantages of going direct through dealers? How do you go about getting a good price?

3. Any other tips you have?

Thank you in anticipation.
VW ID3 was designed from the ground up as an EV whereas the Hyundais & others were not... ID3 was a much better drive when i test drove it, although we have two BMW i3’s at home which are brilliant...

I think you have to take your time and find out what works for you as only you know what you like/need. Get some long term test drives to see how you can live with it on a daily basis.

Must it be 100% electric or is a plug-in hybrid worth considering? Gives you options for the odd long journey or if you can’t charge and you can still tootle around town for 25-40 miles a day which is usually plenty if you plug in every evening.

Also, unless you’re planning to keep it forever, I’d definitely lease/personal lease as possibly only Tesla have enough real world e-miles under the bonnet just yet. Tesla prices have come down a lot but it sounds like you’re after a small town car?

Have a look at https://www.leaseloco.comand play with all the manufacturers and pricing options, Weevee is also worth a look.

Before we swapped cars last year I was hoping to get an EV but they just weren’t quite there for me. If now then the Model 3 or Q4 e-tron would seem almost ideal on paper, although not tried latter.

I’d love to love the ID’s but they still seem to suffer from software issues and the ID3 was rushed at the end. I’m not keen on the ID styling either (Skoda Vision is way nicer IMO) but that’s just me. The Honda is great but expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW ID3 was designed from the ground up as an EV whereas the Hyundais & others were not... ID3 was a much better drive when i test drove it, although we have two BMW i3’s at home which are brilliant...
I have to agree. We love our Zoe, and after 5+ years have become very comfortable with it, but the VW ID3 is in a completely different league. It's a car you want to drive just for the joy of it.
Starting with a clean sheet, the packaging engineers have done a superb job. The turning circle is only slightly more than the tiny VW UP while the interior space, especially the rear seats is on a par with a Passat.
We did try the latest Zoe, but it was a unanimous decision to go with the ID3.
My only gripe is the current "£1000 off during Euro 2020" is a scam. I tried 6 dealers and none had the model I wanted, and all said that as they couldn't get delivery of a new model before the end of September they could meet the terms set out by VW.

Smart car Electric?

We have a Smart car, petrol and 5 yrs old. Ideal compliment to the California. The E version will replace it when the time is right.
I too have a 5 year old Smart car to complement the California! Seriously looked at either a Smart or Honda E but could not justify the £30k price tag!

Agree with so many comments here. The California (long distance vehicle) and small electric car (for short run arounds) such a great combination.

We have a slightly oddball choice but absolutely love it. The Honda E. We drove everything and to be honest, it's a case of test driving first and not looking at stats sometimes. The honda is such a lovely place to be, not the fastest, most practical, best value or range. However given we have a beach on the driveway range has never been an issue at all. The price is higher than some of it's competitors but the standard spec (heated seat, 360 birdeye view camera, car play, lane assist, laser cruise control, dual touch screens) is far higher. I actually thought before hand the i3 might be a practical choise but the rear doors, windows and seats just not practical for kids. We got a great PCP deal with trade in and government grant for our 11 year old lexus hybrid. So costs us £190 a month.

As I said, it's a niche choice (much like the Cali) so wouldn't expect anyone to agree.. but it's been perfect for us. Even have a multimac in the back so 3 kids perfectly comfortable and we're using it far more than we thought we would for the whole family.

Of course no where near as cool as the California though!

View attachment 81150
I saw my first Honda E today in the flesh - didn't know they did them in black too, looked fantastic.

Appreciate it's a premium product, but I'm almost as enthusiastic about as Johnny Smith on YouTube 'Late Brake Show' about it & definitely what I'm angling for when her Prius eventually goes pop (it's extremely reluctant to even to show signs of wear though ...)

When I was an apprentice we used to do a lot of work for Unigate Dairies. Their vehicles would go all day on a single charge...Only thing is milk floats are not that quick....

When I was an apprentice we used to do a lot of work for Unigate Dairies. Their vehicles would go all day on a single charge...Only thing is milk floats are not that quick....
+ Pete Roberts
Didn't realise they had Unigate in Oz.

dc2mp2q-b45457bf-1cd6-4ebc-926d-323196776a7b.jpg
Was it the fastest milk cart in the west?

Back