Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which engine for a new Beach?

After having 2 T6 150hp Beaches and now a T6.1 Beach, I can tell you that the T6.1 is a lot more sluggish and hesitant at low speed. I would definitely take a 200hp option if it was available.
That’s a bit concerning. Have you taken it back to VW to be checked?

That’s a bit concerning. Have you taken it back to VW to be checked?
No… hoping it will improve once it’s learnt my Lewis Hamilton driving style. It is starting to annoy me a bit now though and may take it back if it doesn’t improve soon.

After having 2 T6 150hp Beaches and now a T6.1 Beach, I can tell you that the T6.1 is a lot more sluggish and hesitant at low speed. I would definitely take a 200hp option if it was available.
Totally agree with this. My T6.1 Beach is also very sluggish. My T6 204 4Motion Ocean was much more powerful even with the extra weight of 4 Motion, kitchen, 4 dogs, passenger, small trailer and fully packed for camping.
I haven’t loaded the Beach up yet and it struggles on some nearby hills on a dual carriageway with just me and 2 dogs.
I am curious to see how I get on towing the Eriba...
If the 204 T6.1 Beach had been available in the UK I would have ordered it for sure.

Actually I'm happy with the 89hp (I think) my current van has. The Cali will be heavier of course but those 60 odd extra hp will still be noticable.
End of the day it's a van. I have a 210hp motorbike sat in the garage if I want to "make progress", it's crap for sleeping in though ;)

Don’t complain about performance unless you have owned a 1950s split screen combi. 1200 cc. 25 bhp. 45 mph (if you go down hill) top speed. 18 mpg. And they sell for £25k +... Doesn’t make sense...

Actually I'm happy with the 89hp (I think) my current van has. The Cali will be heavier of course but those 60 odd extra hp will still be noticable.
End of the day it's a van. I have a 210hp motorbike sat in the garage if I want to "make progress", it's crap for sleeping in though ;)
So what I’m finding is where the T6 DSG would automatically come down a gear or two if I accelerated to over take or go up a hill, the T6.1 does not, it stays in the same gear and I quickly go from 70 to 60mph on the dual carriageway.

So what I’m finding is where the T6 DSG would automatically come down a gear or two if I accelerated to over take or go up a hill, the T6.1 does not, it stays in the same gear and I quickly go from 70 to 60mph on the dual carriageway.
Get it remapped, might be set that way for emissions.

Get it remapped, might be set that way for emissions.
I’m hoping it will improve once it’s been driven more. Less than 1500m so far. And it does seem to be getting better. Or I’m getting more used to it...

I’m hoping it will improve once it’s been driven more. Less than 1500m so far. And it does seem to be getting better. Or I’m getting more used to it...
Are steering wheel flappy paddles an option on the T6.1? I find these really useful for overtaking.

I wonder if HazzyDayz or someone similar could replace your steering wheel to give you more control?

Never owned a T6, but on our 6.1 (150ps) I have been hugely impressed with the DSG, far superior to the same system on my 6 year old A6. I presume you are kicking down on the accelerator so that it "knows" you want to make progress?

Never owned a T6, but on our 6.1 (150ps) I have been hugely impressed with the DSG, far superior to the same system on my 6 year old A6. I presume you are kicking down on the accelerator so that it "knows" you want to make progress?
Yes. I haven’t changed my driving style from my T6 or my (now sold) estate car which was automatic. This one just seems slower to respond.

Yes. I haven’t changed my driving style from my T6 or my (now sold) estate car which was automatic. This one just seems slower to respond.
Our 6.1 was manufactured in Dec 2019. Perhaps there has been quite a change in the software to achieve the ever stricter emissions targets. Sorry to hear it is not quite what you were hoping for.

Our 6.1 was manufactured in Dec 2019. Perhaps there has been quite a change in the software to achieve the ever stricter emissions targets. Sorry to hear it is not quite what you were hoping for.
I think that is the case. Just been to get my 2nd jab and kicked down hard coming onto dual carriageway on way home and nothing happened (was in 6 gear doing 50 at the time and nothing happened).
Maybe I need to use the tiptronic to force the gears to change.
The Adblue says 13000m range after 1500m - so clearly big changes (T6 was around 4000m when full) which I assume, like you, relates to emissions.
I still love the van - but anticipate changing to a 204 Beach as soon as it becomes available in UK - assuming it does in a few years.

I think that is the case. Just been to get my 2nd jab and kicked down hard coming onto dual carriageway on way home and nothing happened (was in 6 gear doing 50 at the time and nothing happened).
Maybe I need to use the tiptronic to force the gears to change.
The Adblue says 13000m range after 1500m - so clearly big changes (T6 was around 4000m when full) which I assume, like you, relates to emissions.
I still love the van - but anticipate changing to a 204 Beach as soon as it becomes available in UK - assuming it does in a few years.
That sounds rubbish. If I am doing 50mph in sixth and kick down, it will easily drop a gear or two. It's really responsive, something has clearly changed. Does your DSG have "sport" mode? I know the current 6.1s only have "drive".

That sounds rubbish. If I am doing 50mph in sixth and kick down, it will easily drop a gear or two. It's really responsive, something has clearly changed. Does your DSG have "sport" mode? I know the current 6.1s only have "drive".
No sport mode on the T6.1 DSG.

Try driving it in semi auto mode for a while, (when in 5th or above ) select the gear it should be in, the gearbox will “learn” your style over a period of time.

IMO the DSG box favours 7th gear, probably for emission, drop it into manual to drop a couple of gears and see if it “learns“ as you go.

I’m probably sounding like a ‘boy racer’ or someone who has road rage and foot to the floor all the time. But the truth is the opposite. So these suggestions are very welcome.
And apologies for hijacking the thread. But I think it is a useful discussion for people ordering a T6.1 Beach in the UK where options in engine are non existent at present.

I’m probably sounding like a ‘boy racer’ or someone who has road rage and foot to the floor all the time. But the truth is the opposite. So these suggestions are very welcome.
And apologies for hijacking the thread. But I think it is a useful discussion for people ordering a T6.1 Beach in the UK where options in engine are non existent at present.
I’ll see if I can find an article about how the DSG box works, it has some good tips for getting the gearbox to do what you expect it to do. ill post it here if I can, it worth a read

I’ll see if I can find an article about how the DSG box works, it has some good tips for getting the gearbox to do what you expect it to do. ill post it here if I can, it worth a read
I think @WelshGas has done that before. I’m just so surprised at the difference between vehicles.

Here’s a part of a discussion on another forum , it’s worth a read (and the forum) this envisages manual intervention to ensure the gear box in in the correct gear or ready to be in the correct gear

Attachments

• DSG.pdf
    78.7 KB · Views: 23
Hi everyone,

I am Ben and looking to buy a new Beach and confused about which engine I should be choosing.

I am based in Portugal so will buy from a local dealer but so far they are not very knowledgeable about the Cali's.

I will use it as my daily driver and for weekends and holidays with the lady and the 2 little ones.

What's your experience and do I need the 204hp over the 150hp...is it worth the extra money or over kill.

Also I don't understand the different engine variants, in the 150hp there is the option of the M6 or A7, not sure what they each stand for.

Thanks for your help.

Ben
:welcome Welcome Ben 150 was more than adequate in our Ocean

No sport mode on the T6.1 DSG.
That should be no sport mode on MY2021 onwards T6.1.

My 2020 model has it, driving round the highlands we left it in sport all the time, a lot of the time we were driving at 45-50mph and in drive it was going into7th and staying there, it didn’t feel right, in sport mode it stuck to 6th longer & changed up to 7th about 100-200rpm higher on a gentle throttle. Engine felt a lot happier & less like it was about to stall.

Good job we had sports mode as manual doesn’t work on mine at the moment.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I recommended the 200hp to the OP if he has the choice.

My 6.1 150hp Beach has done approx 1700 miles now and I’m not seeing much improvement. I drove my T6’s in manual mode now and then but I’m having to drive in manual a lot more now. A few times it’s been really hesitant and not wanted to go, leaving me waiting…

I’ll give it another month or two and if it doesn’t improve I’ll take it back.

We have the 199 with 7 speed DSG. Great engine / gearbox combination and accelerates like mad when needed which is not that often, but I like the extra power.
It's easy to wheel spin from start, so care needed there, also experienced torque steer a few times.

Enjoy.

Chris.

Back