Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All weather tyres

Thanks Gregg - it's a 4M so the 103 is realistically required. How do you find the 235's look on the rims with the missing 20mm. Do they look stretched at all? It is a good point on availability - there are better options if you reduce the width slightly (CrossClimates go up to 245 for example)

Look fine to me, sidewall seems quite square.
16D9AE06-C7F5-4EF1-A7E0-FDCA373A92A3.jpeg

Worth checking online tyre sellers like Oponeo and Tyreleader for a wider range of available sizes/load ratings.

Another plus point in the Goodyears that I didnt mention and didnt realise until I replaced them is that they are also designed to protect your alloys. I kerbed the van for the first time on the weekend due to narrow Dartmoor lanes and much to my delight not a mark on the wheel thanks to the protection. :D

Are they worth it? After last winter I'd guess yes - only £144 to spec them on the builder.

Am I going to be annoyed by road noise, dec MPG and inc wear?

Bear in mind we might not have anymore bad snow for a couple of years, high mileage will be in the summer, day to day it will be the second car.

Also there are two options: 215/60 R17 C 109/107T or 235/55 R17 103H XL, what's the difference?

Thanks
I think they are worth it for sure. I like the Goodyear’s and have a brand new set for sale for 18’s if interested. I have just swapped my wheels for 17s and not even opened the wrapper on the 18” Goodyear’s!

W
I think they are worth it for sure. I like the Goodyear’s and have a brand new set for sale for 18’s if interested. I have just swapped my wheels for 17s and not even opened the wrapper on the 18” Goodyear’s!
What was wrong with the 18”?

W

What was wrong with the 18”?
Absolutely nothing at all. I had been toying with moving to 17s re personal preference and was undecided so Bought the 18 tyres and then changed my mind! Not a happy Wife!

I have a spare
An 18" spare from the Factory ?

You can fit the carrier and a 16" or 17" wheel with the appropriate tyre and even may be able to squeeze in an 18" but according to the literature I've seen if 18" wheels are specced from new there is no wheel carrier fitted.

I would like all season tyres, but there is only make that comes in my current tyre size 255/45R18 103XL the Bridgestone Weather Control A005.
I know that I can fit a narrower tyre to the same rim and some be able to fit Goodyear or Michelin all seasons tyres, but personally I prefer the sidewall proud of the rim for a bit of extra protection against kerning. But GreggB picture looks fine and is making think again about a narrower tyre.

I would like all season tyres, but there is only make that comes in my current tyre size 255/45R18 103XL the Bridgestone Weather Control A005.
I know that I can fit a narrower tyre to the same rim and some be able to fit Goodyear or Michelin all seasons tyres, but personally I prefer the sidewall proud of the rim for a bit of extra protection against kerning. But GreggB picture looks fine and is making think again about a narrower tyre.

Have you looked at the Continental VanContact Camper ? I know that they do an 255 R18, but not sure about the 45.

Have you looked at the Continental VanContact Camper ? I know that they do an 255 R18, but not sure about the 45.

It's the 45 profile is the problem and as the wheel is 8" there are only a limited number of alternative size that will fit 225/50R18 to 275/40R18.
245/45R18 and 235/50R18 both have more manufacturer offering All season tyres, unfortunately not with the 103 load rating.

Yes expensive compared to some but not much more than Michelin Pilot Sport or Continental ContiSportContact and only £10 more than the summer Bridgestone Turanza.

It looks like the Weather Control was only released this year and the only review I can find, says it out performed the CrossClimate on wet corners. Hopefully a some car magazine does a test soon

Yes expensive compared to some but not much more than Michelin Pilot Sport or Continental ContiSportContact and only £10 more than the summer Bridgestone Turanza.

It looks like the Weather Control was only released this year and the only review I can find, says it out performed the CrossClimate on wet corners. Hopefully a some car magazine does a test soon
245/50/18 with 104 load rating has a few more options but price creeps up..

The Pirelli would be an option in runflat. Runflat sidewalls can be a bit stiff but would give an option to not having a spare.
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalo...-winter-tyre/245/50/R18/V/104/f?tyre=35473823

Brdgestone tyre but at a price

Just ordered a set of these, I will report back when they're fitted. Found them slightly cheaper + £165 each :thumb