Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

My problem is finding a van with a lengthways lifting bed
Wingamm do that, head room isn’t great if you are tall (6ft+), think they stopped making one on VW chassis (rarer than a joker them).
Someone on here has one.
The joker hightop has a slide out lengthways bed. I’m 6ft2 can stand up in van fine and the bed is 2m long maybe worth a look at.

Wingamm do that, head room isn’t great if you are tall (6ft+), think they stopped making one on VW chassis (rarer than a joker them).
Someone on here has one.
The joker hightop has a slide out lengthways bed. I’m 6ft2 can stand up in van fine and the bed is 2m long maybe worth a look at.
Yes looked at the wingamm, but another must is campvan style, opening rear doors and sliding side door.

Would you believe I am only on my second 907. I cant believe how long they last! And we use it for the Cadac too. We haven't done anywhere near as much camping as you though. As you know, we mainly use it for motor racing, so just long weekends mainly. Lack of a guage is not helpful though...
Hi, been reading the threads on here with interest regarding the Boxdrive 680me. My research has narrowed me down to a well spec'd Boxdrive, or to using a van conversion company. I think there are about 3 of you guys on here now that actually own and drive a Boxdrive, first of all are they still living up to your expectations? Any regrets? In your experiences which has been the best UK dealer for ease of ordering, communication and aftersales service? Also I can't see anything in the spec, or options about them having an inverter? Off grid living will be important to us, so we will have solar panels and lithium batteries, but what are their abilities like for off grid living? And can you use 230v appliances off grid? I've done 'a lot' of research online, but yet to see you a Boxdrive in the flesh, hoping to see one at the NEC show in February. Look forward to your responses.

I’m sat in a motorhome parking space near Friedbergersee (that’s a lake in Germany Called Fried Berger) and thought I’d update my thread with a bit of a review.

We picked up the Boxdrive in January 2020 and in-spite of the last 18 months we’ve managed to spend in the region of 6 months between lockdowns touring. We’ve been on weekend trips to Edale and month long trips to France, Orkney, Mull, Scotland mainland and now on an extended road trip through France, Germany to Austria…we are back in Germany whist awaiting upon the Norway government to update their regulations so we can travel through Denmark onward to Trondheim in Norway. (Following daughters football team)

We’ve had one or two small (and persistent) problems with electrics and a small water leak; after changing dealer, the support from the second dealers has been good (Doncaster), Knaus not so. I’m please the issues seem to be resolved and none of which has stopped us from enjoying the van. On the whole the van has been fantastic.

We’ve upgraded the electrical system by adding an additional 2 batteries and solar along with an inverter. We also carry an additional 50l of water and use bottle water to drink, collectively this has allowed us to spend all but 10 (ish) nights ‘off grid’

Considering the differences between the boxdrive and ‘others’: the unusual sliding shower cubical, which is not to some people’s liking, allows a very usable system and one that helps enable our extended stays. We would whole heartily recommend it. The elevating bed has repeatedly shown itself to be very useful. The washroom hand basin not so useful.

The Vw Crafter is like driving a car. We went for the 177bhp auto and it’s superb. We’ve done 16k and it’s averaged 31mpg; which I’m happy with.

Given the amount of time in the van the fixtures, fittings and fabrics have stood up well and with a clean would look new. In fact, I can’t really fault them.

The only times we’ve been frustrated with the van has been due to extended period of rain; after about 4/5 days of poor conditions it starts to become a little claustrophobic. The gap between the kitchen unit and washroom has caused the odd ‘moment’, but I guess that’s Van life.

Would I recommend the Boxdrive? In a word Yes but with one caveat: pick your dealer wisely.

Would I buy another? Again yes but would want a 4 motion if they did one.
Hi, been reading the threads on here with interest regarding the Boxdrive 680me. My research has narrowed me down to a well spec'd Boxdrive, or to using a van conversion company. I think there are about 3 of you guys on here now that actually own and drive a Boxdrive, first of all are they still living up to your expectations? Any regrets? In your experiences which has been the best UK dealer for ease of ordering, communication and aftersales service? Also I can't see anything in the spec, or options about them having an inverter? Off grid living will be important to us, so we will have solar panels and lithium batteries, but what are their abilities like for off grid living? And can you use 230v appliances off grid? I've done 'a lot' of research online, but yet to see you a Boxdrive in the flesh, hoping to see one at the NEC show in February. Look forward to your responses.

Hi @rod_vw , for us literally the only drawback we've found is that it's such a long wheelbase we kept grounding the step if we ever went over the wrong ratio of height/length speedbump, kerb etc. so now we watch out for the problem. May even consider removing the step.

Other than that have not found anything else we'd find fault with that I can think of - mind you, so long since we've had a chance to use it..........:headbang :)

Are you traveling?

@Judy @DNR @knwldgeseker How you guys getting on with the Vans? I'm guessing like mine they've been sat on the drive with nowhere to go? I've managed to stay a whole 2 nights (a weekend before lockdown) in mine in sunny Glasgow to watch my daughter play football; other than that its just been polished :rolleyes:

Whilst its been laid up I've noticed my conversion batteries seem to go from fully charged to fully discharged in about 3 weeks. This seems a bit excessive to me. When testing with all fuses pulled I note there is a load of about 150milliamps which Im struggling to lock down. Anyone noticed anything similar?

@knwldgeseker did you ever resolve your warranty issues?
Sorry if you've recieved multiple messages, I think you are the only 4 Boxdrive owners on here. I've been reading the threads on here with interest regarding the Boxdrive 680me. My research has narrowed me down to a well spec'd Boxdrive, or to using a van conversion company. First of all are they still living up to your expectations? Any regrets? In your experiences which has been the best UK dealer for ease of ordering, communication and aftersales service? Also I can't see anything in the spec, or options about them having an inverter? Off grid living will be important to us, so we will have solar panels and lithium batteries, but what are their abilities like for off grid living? And can you use 230v appliances off grid? I've done 'a lot' of research online, but yet to see a Boxdrive in the flesh, hoping to see one at the NEC show in February. Look forward to your responses.

Hi DNR, can you tell me if you have a battery under the bonnet (n/s) please. I'm trying to establish if the one I refer to is a habitation battery or a VW fitment. Any help with sourcing an English Boxdrive manual would be much appreciated.
Thanks itscalledbob for your battery info.
Hi, been reading the threads on here with interest regarding the Boxdrive 680me. My research has narrowed me down to a well spec'd Boxdrive, or to using a van conversion company. I think there are about 4 of you guys on here now that actually own and drive a Boxdrive, first of all are they still living up to your expectations? Any regrets? In your experiences which has been the best UK dealer for ease of ordering, communication and aftersales service? Also I can't see anything in the spec, or options about them having an inverter? Off grid living will be important to us, so we will have solar panels and lithium batteries, but what are their abilities like for off grid living? And can you use 230v appliances off grid? I've done 'a lot' of research online, but yet to see a Boxdrive in the flesh, hoping to see one at the NEC show in February. Look forward to your responses.

As you see above, we were lucky enough to be able to visit DNR and have the pleasure of seeing his Boxdrive in the flesh and hearing his opinions on various aspects of the van. Thanks again @DNR maybe we will be able to meet and compare notes when we eventually get a TGE and have it converted,

Would you believe I am only on my second 907. I cant believe how long they last! And we use it for the Cadac too. We haven't done anywhere near as much camping as you though. As you know, we mainly use it for motor racing, so just long weekends mainly. Lack of a guage is not helpful though...
DNR. if you see this, can i ask did you consider a conversion prior to making your purchase?
I only ask as I see you live in Inverness and Vanguard Conversions are close by.
Would really appreciate any local knowledge of them or your thoughts if you have any. They're on my shortlist.
No worries if little known or you'd rather not say
Thanks

Hi, been reading the threads on here with interest regarding the Boxdrive 680me. My research has narrowed me down to a well spec'd Boxdrive, or to using a van conversion company. I think there are about 4 of you guys on here now that actually own and drive a Boxdrive, first of all are they still living up to your expectations? Any regrets? In your experiences which has been the best UK dealer for ease of ordering, communication and aftersales service? Also I can't see anything in the spec, or options about them having an inverter? Off grid living will be important to us, so we will have solar panels and lithium batteries, but what are their abilities like for off grid living? And can you use 230v appliances off grid? I've done 'a lot' of research online, but yet to see a Boxdrive in the flesh, hoping to see one at the NEC show in February. Look forward to your responses.
I’ve fitted an aftermarket inverter, (so has @DNR) I’ve also fitted 370w of solar and stayed off grid for 2 month.

If you live anywhere near Peterborough you are welcome to come and have a look.

I’ve fitted an aftermarket inverter, (so has @DNR) I’ve also fitted 370w of solar and stayed off grid for 2 month.

If you live anywhere near Peterborough you are welcome to come and have a look.
Thank you for reply @itscalledbob I'm in Eastbourne but see one person with one on here is only in Brighton. How much off grid do you think you'd get with 100w solar and 2 lithium batteries? Are inverters easy to fit, what power one did you get? What UK dealer did you order from and were/are you still happy with them and your Boxdrive? Sorry for all questions, but serious amount of money to life our dream

Thank you for reply @itscalledbob I'm in Eastbourne but see one person with one on here is only in Brighton. How much off grid do you think you'd get with 100w solar and 2 lithium batteries? Are inverters easy to fit, what power one did you get? What UK dealer did you order from and were/are you still happy with them and your Boxdrive? Sorry for all questions, but serious amount of money to life our dream
1) that depends on how much energy you use, how sunny it is and when you use it. For example the heater initially draws 6.5amps. Given you can run lithium to almost zero between charges you should be able to get 5-7 days without solar. Personally I suspect with 100w solar you’ll need to hook up occasionally.
2a) Depends how you wire them up. Ideally you should run independent wires to each battery. Running a wire from the engine bay to the back is a pain and you’ll be best removing the toilet. You can connect directly to where they join the conversion electrics but you’ll run the risk of blowing fuses.

2b)As a rule of thumb you need a battery per 500w inverter capacity. Given you have 2 batteries I wouldn’t go above 1kw. Though as you have lithium you might get away with a larger one but you’ll need to find out what the maximum battery draw is. Also If you go above 1kw you won’t be able to wire into the conversion electrics and will have to run independent wires to each battery.
2c) I got mine from Sunshine Solar. Plus if you’re running electronics you’ll need a pure sign wave inverter.
3) Can’t recommend the dealer I purchased from but now use Premium Motorhomes in Bawtry Doncaster and very happy with their after sales.
4) I’ve found Knaus very slow authorising warranties but aside from that the van is sound. I’ve spent over 150 nights in it in the last 2 years and it’s still in great condition.

My needs have changed and I am now in the process of selling mine.

1) that depends on how much energy you use, how sunny it is and when you use it. For example the heater initially draws 6.5amps. Given you can run lithium to almost zero between charges you should be able to get 5-7 days without solar. Personally I suspect with 100w solar you’ll need to hook up occasionally.
2a) Depends how you wire them up. Ideally you should run independent wires to each battery. Running a wire from the engine bay to the back is a pain and you’ll be best removing the toilet. You can connect directly to where they join the conversion electrics but you’ll run the risk of blowing fuses.

2b)As a rule of thumb you need a battery per 500w inverter capacity. Given you have 2 batteries I wouldn’t go above 1kw. Though as you have lithium you might get away with a larger one but you’ll need to find out what the maximum battery draw is. Also If you go above 1kw you won’t be able to wire into the conversion electrics and will have to run independent wires to each battery.
2c) I got mine from Sunshine Solar. Plus if you’re running electronics you’ll need a pure sign wave inverter.
3) Can’t recommend the dealer I purchased from but now use Premium Motorhomes in Bawtry Doncaster and very happy with their after sales.
4) I’ve found Knaus very slow authorising warranties but aside from that the van is sound. I’ve spent over 150 nights in it in the last 2 years and it’s still in great condition.

My needs have changed and I am now in the process of selling mine.
Thank you, that's such great info, we probably wouldn't do more than a week at a time off grid at any one time, so I guess we might be ok? Fitting a converter sounds a bit of a mine field, I found one online that showed a video clip and it looked just a case of fitting one end to a leisure battery, plug something 230v in and off you go, I'd be worried I'd blow fuses, or burn something out! I've been in email contact with Premium in Doncaster asking few questions, a lady called Debbie and she was very helpful, so your recommendation is good to hear, I've also emailed Webbs in Reading, again very helpful, and would be closer, but its worrying without recommendations, do you know who the other guys on here ordered from? I would think you will sell it easily, if I had the cash now I might be tempted. It's going to be at least 2 years until we can juggle some funds and take out our work pensions. Being two women of a certain age, we want to make driving, touring and living in our van as easy and comfortable as possible.

Thank you, that's such great info, we probably wouldn't do more than a week at a time off grid at any one time, so I guess we might be ok? Fitting a converter sounds a bit of a mine field, I found one online that showed a video clip and it looked just a case of fitting one end to a leisure battery, plug something 230v in and off you go, I'd be worried I'd blow fuses, or burn something out! I've been in email contact with Premium in Doncaster asking few questions, a lady called Debbie and she was very helpful, so your recommendation is good to hear, I've also emailed Webbs in Reading, again very helpful, and would be closer, but its worrying without recommendations, do you know who the other guys on here ordered from? I would think you will sell it easily, if I had the cash now I might be tempted. It's going to be at least 2 years until we can juggle some funds and take out our work pensions. Being two women of a certain age, we want to make driving, touring and living in our van as easy and comfortable as possible.
We visited Premium but were very disappointed with the sales person's lack of detailed knowledge of the base vehicle. They don't seem to understand that some purchasers are 'drivers' not just 'campers' and want the best driving experience.

We visited Premium but were very disappointed with the sales person's lack of detailed knowledge of the base vehicle. They don't seem to understand that some purchasers are 'drivers' not just 'campers' and want the best driving experience.
Excuse my ignorance, but don't the leisure batteries charge as you drive? @rod_vw @itscalledbob so if we were on the move from place to place, we wouldn't need to hook up very often? I think I would like an inverter, but would have it fitted professionally. We've been caravanners for many years but have have only ever run off EHC

Hi guys, first of all good luck with your plans. We bought a LHD and you'll have found our comments back along this thread I think, but feel free to ask us anything in particular. We have both wild camped and used sites in the UK (couple of times) but mainly in Spain and Portugal. We have the standard leisure battery but 200w of solar and have only once run out of power - in the UK no surprise. We've never used EHU. Unfortunately we've moved to Ireland since Sept otherwise you would have been very welcome to view it too your hearts content. Still are if you travel to Ireland!

Hi guys, first of all good luck with your plans. We bought a LHD and you'll have found our comments back along this thread I think, but feel free to ask us anything in particular. We have both wild camped and used sites in the UK (couple of times) but mainly in Spain and Portugal. We have the standard leisure battery but 200w of solar and have only once run out of power - in the UK no surprise. We've never used EHU. Unfortunately we've moved to Ireland since Sept otherwise you would have been very welcome to view it too your hearts content. Still are if you travel to Ireland!
Are you the man who lived in Brighton? Guessing you ordered direct from knaus. Have you found the boxdrive has lived up to you expectations? Have you had and inverter fitted?

Are you the man who lived in Brighton? Guessing you ordered direct from knaus. Have you found the boxdrive has lived up to you expectations? Have you had and inverter fitted?
Yes, we lived in Brighton. The Boxdrive has been good, the 'driveability' of it is superb and the bed is very comfortable. we also really like the shower/toilet arrangement, it gives us far more room then one could normally expect I think. The extra long wheelbase gives it a smaller turning circle then i would have liked but conversely it means very little tail-swipe when turning, and there is that reduced ground clearance coming into place when going over a particular ratio of length/height raised bumps etc.

For us decisions about what type of van are a question of compromises. A smaller (shorter) van would give us much more flexibility and reduce anxiety about access etc but that in turn would reduce comfort when stopped. A larger van would give much more comfort when stopped but reduce flexibility when travelling even further. Is the Boxdrive prefect for us? No, nothing would be, everything has it's compromises.

We do not have any inverter and don't think we would need one. We have no TV, we use laptops for that and have 12v chargers for them and everything else we need.

Yes, we lived in Brighton. The Boxdrive has been good, the 'driveability' of it is superb and the bed is very comfortable. we also really like the shower/toilet arrangement, it gives us far more room then one could normally expect I think. The extra long wheelbase gives it a smaller turning circle then i would have liked but conversely it means very little tail-swipe when turning, and there is that reduced ground clearance coming into place when going over a particular ratio of length/height raised bumps etc.

For us decisions about what type of van are a question of compromises. A smaller (shorter) van would give us much more flexibility and reduce anxiety about access etc but that in turn would reduce comfort when stopped. A larger van would give much more comfort when stopped but reduce flexibility when travelling even further. Is the Boxdrive prefect for us? No, nothing would be, everything has it's compromises.

We do not have any inverter and don't think we would need one. We have no TV, we use laptops for that and have 12v chargers for them and everything else we need.
Thank you so much for your honest review. I have been the driver while towing our caravans for many years and have even become quite accomplished with the reversing of it! I think that has made he very aware of larger turning circles and pulling out from side roads and access etc, we would go for parking sensors front and rear, rear view camera and even possibly park assist. A comfortable and easy to get on and off bed, for those in the dark, barefoot toilet trips in the night (2 women of a certain age!!) is also very important. And a raising bed for bike and our worldly goods.
The bathroom set up is the thing that always has me coming back to the Boxdrive everytime, we have narrowed our choice down to a UK van Conversion, or a Boxdrive, in a conversion we would get a better kitchen, oven and microwave, but a much smaller and very basic bathroom and would also lose the cupboard/draw space they would take up and the small wardrobe, the conversion would also come with an inverter, and as we will be touring/living full time would we miss oven/microwave when off grid?? Especially given that the Boxdrive holds such little gas. The Boxdrive also looks very well winterised, with no bare metal showing in habitation area, something bespoke van conversions seen to have partly showing, on inner rear doors and inner sliding door. Also I like the idea of ordering direct from a dealer, as the conversion companies want you to buy the van yourself and then book a build slot with them.
We are going to see a Boxdrive in the flesh at the NEC in February and I'm sure we'll fall in love with it even more.
A UK dealer i emailed had Knaus send me over the link for their latest UK configurator, I've built what I think would be our perfect van and added the link below, if you wouldn't mind taking a look and giving your opinion if you think it looks ok...things we won't need? ...things we've missed off!
How do you use wifi/4g for your laptops in your van? My partner will crumble if she can't get her daily fix of YouTube and Candy Crush on her tablet!
If we were to go for no inverter, could you send the links for any 12v and USB and wifi appliances/acessories/leads/chargers etc, that you have found invaluable please.
So, as far as compromise goes for us on the Boxdrive, it would be the small gas bottle, lack of oven, microwave and inverter. In your experience have you found not having any of those a problem? And how do you find the cooking experience on a rainy UK day, when no outside BBQ available?
Below is the configuration link, that should take you to how I've spec'd our dream van/home.

Thank you so much for your honest review. I have been the driver while towing our caravans for many years and have even become quite accomplished with the reversing of it! I think that has made he very aware of larger turning circles and pulling out from side roads and access etc, we would go for parking sensors front and rear, rear view camera and even possibly park assist. A comfortable and easy to get on and off bed, for those in the dark, barefoot toilet trips in the night (2 women of a certain age!!) is also very important. And a raising bed for bike and our worldly goods.
The bathroom set up is the thing that always has me coming back to the Boxdrive everytime, we have narrowed our choice down to a UK van Conversion, or a Boxdrive, in a conversion we would get a better kitchen, oven and microwave, but a much smaller and very basic bathroom and would also lose the cupboard/draw space they would take up and the small wardrobe, the conversion would also come with an inverter, and as we will be touring/living full time would we miss oven/microwave when off grid?? Especially given that the Boxdrive holds such little gas. The Boxdrive also looks very well winterised, with no bare metal showing in habitation area, something bespoke van conversions seen to have partly showing, on inner rear doors and inner sliding door. Also I like the idea of ordering direct from a dealer, as the conversion companies want you to buy the van yourself and then book a build slot with them.
We are going to see a Boxdrive in the flesh at the NEC in February and I'm sure we'll fall in love with it even more.
A UK dealer i emailed had Knaus send me over the link for their latest UK configurator, I've built what I think would be our perfect van and added the link below, if you wouldn't mind taking a look and giving your opinion if you think it looks ok...things we won't need? ...things we've missed off!
How do you use wifi/4g for your laptops in your van? My partner will crumble if she can't get her daily fix of YouTube and Candy Crush on her tablet!
If we were to go for no inverter, could you send the links for any 12v and USB and wifi appliances/acessories/leads/chargers etc, that you have found invaluable please.
So, as far as compromise goes for us on the Boxdrive, it would be the small gas bottle, lack of oven, microwave and inverter. In your experience have you found not having any of those a problem? And how do you find the cooking experience on a rainy UK day, when no outside BBQ available?
Below is the configuration link, that should take you to how I've spec'd our dream van/home.
Yes, we bought from a Berlin dealer (would not recommend them!) and self-imported, it was one of the 100 'First Editions' so came with some extras.

We used a MiFi supplied by https://www.motorhomewifi.com/ (definite recommendation) and installed by https://www.sunstore.co.uk/ (also would recommend) when they were doing our solar panels.

I will have to dig out the info/suppliers on the chargers etc so I'll have to get back to you on that, and on your spec list. Most importantly, where do you expect the majority of your time to be spent, the UK or abroad?

Our time is almost 100% in Europe so no need/desire for an oven and worked quite happily without any microwave, fresh foods being so much cheaper and more available (in our experience). We have a Cadac etc. but have never had occasion to use them. Longest uninterrupted spell in the van so far has been about 8 weeks and it worked fine - but everything seems to work better in the sunshine............................... :)

Also, for what it's worth we had to get some recall work done before we left the UK and it was set up by Knaus with what they told us was their new dealer in Portsmouth, https://www.harbourcreek.co.uk/. Obviously we have no idea what their sales service would be like but the service and courtesy provided to us (remember we had not bought from them, when we bought nobody had them in the UK) was superb.

Yes, we bought from a Berlin dealer (would not recommend them!) and self-imported, it was one of the 100 'First Editions' so came with some extras.

We used a MiFi supplied by https://www.motorhomewifi.com/ (definite recommendation) and installed by https://www.sunstore.co.uk/ (also would recommend) when they were doing our solar panels.

I will have to dig out the info/suppliers on the chargers etc so I'll have to get back to you on that, and on your spec list. Most importantly, where do you expect the majority of your time to be spent, the UK or abroad?

Our time is almost 100% in Europe so no need/desire for an oven and worked quite happily without any microwave, fresh foods being so much cheaper and more available (in our experience). We have a Cadac etc. but have never had occasion to use them. Longest uninterrupted spell in the van so far has been about 8 weeks and it worked fine - but everything seems to work better in the sunshine............................... :)

Also, for what it's worth we had to get some recall work done before we left the UK and it was set up by Knaus with what they told us was their new dealer in Portsmouth, https://www.harbourcreek.co.uk/. Obviously we have no idea what their sales service would be like but the service and courtesy provided to us (remember we had not bought from them, when we bought nobody had them in the UK) was superb.
We will definitely start touring the UK, so many places we still haven't seen, so cold, wet, dark days are sure to follow us, would probably spend the 1st year, or 2 doing that. I don't know what a Cadac is?
Thank you for the MiFi and installer links, Goring not too far away either. Also thank you for the Harbour Creek info, I'll have a look, I have so far been in touch with Webbs in Reading and Premium in Doncaster, both have been very helpful with my email inquiries.

Just like to say,
this is all great reading. Not just for the ideas but to read about people's adventures on the road

In short I believe there are better (and I suspect cheaper) alternative already available.

After a huge amount of consternation We’ve decided to put a deposit on the Knaus boxdrive 680. (Pronounced K-naus)

Details: https://www.knaus.com/en-uk/camper-vans-cuv/boxdrive/highlights/

Wife and I had decided we were changing the Cali for a van with a washroom but not a Ducato (for a number of reasons). The new Crafter seemed an ideal alternative and the GC couldn’t have been introduced with better timing (or so we thought).

We so much wanted to like the GC and VW were initially pushing on an open door but what we saw in Düsseldorf didn’t really impress and what I heard in Birmingham failed to improve our view.

The only things that kept us interested was the 4motion, price and one build manufacturing (warranty).

Following the Birmingham show what was really grating on me was the suggested additional £15k premium for a UK spec vehicle that was partially justified as ‘what the market could bear’ (FFS!).

The final nail in the coffin has been the continued lack of concrete information, despite receiving assurances by the VW marketing people in the Düsseldorf show that the GC would be available to order in the UK by January. Almost 4 months have elapsed and a month since I was at the Birmingham show and STILL nothing. I wanted Billy’s replacement for summer and If ordered now the Knaus would be available in July. Decision made, deposit placed.

I’ve made it clear on a previous posts I thought the GC hadn’t been thought through and the finish quality was poor. Contrasting that with the Knaus you’ll find a well thought out and well finished interior, you’ll even note there’s a place to hang the shower head too! It’s quite clear Knaus is a company well grounded in making caravans and conversions. I also noted the German start price is €60k which translates exactly to a UK price of £55k (no ripoff Britain premium added). This fact would seem to indicate another contrast that suggests VWC propensity to bend us over! I should mention a full spec Boxdrive can go north of £80k. Another point to note is the Knaus uses the mid height van and is 20cm lower than the equivalent GC 680 and according looks a little tidier. Incidentally the Westy Sven Hedin uses the mid height van too (so no idea why VW have to use the extra height?)

I’ll let everyone know and will post a video review when it turns up.

Finally, I purchased from Better Than Camping based in Worcestershire. I found Ed Stone to be both helpful and knowledgeable but would also caution anyone visiting him as he is in the process of relocating his business and developing his new sales area.

Email: ed@betterthancamping.co.uk if you’re interested....
I'm thinking you made the right choice. Enjoy!

Back