Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Have you still got yours @itscalledbob ?

Still adore my Boxdrive and will have it for at least one more season. However, I tend not to keep vehicles much longer than three years, and looking at lead times, I've started looking again now.

I'd be interested to know what you have done.

Having searched the market, one vehicle stands out to me. The RP Motorhomes, Explorer with elevated lounge. Its on a Sprinter chassis. Down side is it's 100k, not sure I can afford / justify it. I need to either look at alternatives again or grow some testies and place my order...

Have you still got yours @itscalledbob ?

Still adore my Boxdrive and will have it for at least one more season. However, I tend not to keep vehicles much longer than three years, and looking at lead times, I've started looking again now.

I'd be interested to know what you have done.

Having searched the market, one vehicle stands out to me. The RP Motorhomes, Explorer with elevated lounge. Its on a Sprinter chassis. Down side is it's 100k, not sure I can afford / justify it. I need to either look at alternatives again or grow some testies and place my order...
Nice to hear from you!

The Captain was sold in November, sadly, with a new van ordered in September for a March (now May) delivery. I have to also report we’ve turned to the dark side and purchased a MoHo

Loved the Boxdrive and over the 2 years of ownership we spent over 9 months in it. Did 2- 3 month tours and a number of 2 weeks and weekend trips.

We found however 3 things that motivated us to change. The lack of space in the central isle became a bit of a chore on long trips and the lack of 4WD and ground clearance became a problem in the latter trip to Norway. We had wanted to venture further north but decided to leave that adventure for another trip.

The RP Motorhomes Explorer looks great! Particularly like the rear. And like you we’ve chosen the Sprinter (with a 419 chassis). Initially we had wanted a Hymer 570 Crossover but the waiting list was into 2023. We looked into it further and decided the Hymer 580 was a better option so spec’d it with all the crossover toys (plus a few additions). Yes, the money is obscene but when you add 4WD on a German van you soon see 6 figures (plus) staring back at you. But if you use it then it’s easy to justify.

We seem to have changed our vans every 2 years but this one is a keeper (or I’ll be looking for a new wife, apparently)

Keep in touch and let us know what you choose.

Nice to hear from you!

The Captain was sold in November, sadly, with a new van ordered in September for a March (now May) delivery. I have to also report we’ve turned to the dark side and purchased a MoHo

Loved the Boxdrive and over the 2 years of ownership we spent over 9 months in it. Did 2- 3 month tours and a number of 2 weeks and weekend trips.

We found however 3 things that motivated us to change. The lack of space in the central isle became a bit of a chore on long trips and the lack of 4WD and ground clearance became a problem in the latter trip to Norway. We had wanted to venture further north but decided to leave that adventure for another trip.

The RP Motorhomes Explorer looks great! Particularly like the rear. And like you we’ve chosen the Sprinter (with a 419 chassis). Initially we had wanted a Hymer 570 Crossover but the waiting list was into 2023. We looked into it further and decided the Hymer 580 was a better option so spec’d it with all the crossover toys (plus a few additions). Yes, the money is obscene but when you add 4WD on a German van you soon see 6 figures (plus) staring back at you. But if you use it then it’s easy to justify.

We seem to have changed our vans every 2 years but this one is a keeper (or I’ll be looking for a new wife, apparently)

Wow that's lovely. Width is the main issue with panel vans, so don't blame you switching to the dark side, but what a cool one you've gone with! Hymer are a quality manufacturer, so it will be finished well.

I need to be able to tow 3t, so that's keeping me in the panel van market.

RP do a model called Rebellion on the 4x4 chassis which looks awesome, its not bad value either as its loaded with kit. I worry about noise, ride and fuel consumption though. I'm mainly motorway driving. Maybe you can let me know how yours rides compared the the Crafter. Maybe you can upload some images too?

Look forward to updates and I'll keep you in the loop of what I will be doing too.

All the best

@DNR & @itscalledbob

Hello you two, interesting to hear your thoughts and progress. We are still waiting for our LWB TGE to be delivered, the latest from MAN is a build month of May (no week number yet) with a possible delivery in late June. However I'm not holding my breath.

We are still aiming for a bespoke build by Atlas Sporthomes who we are keeping up to date with info from MAN.

Reactions: DNR
Having searched the market, one vehicle stands out to me. The RP Motorhomes, Explorer with elevated lounge.

Reminds me of the 1980s when I used to get dragged round MFI looking at chipboard veneered wardrobes.....

@DNR & @itscalledbob

Hello you two, interesting to hear your thoughts and progress. We are still waiting for our LWB TGE to be delivered, the latest from MAN is a build month of May (no week number yet) with a possible delivery in late June. However I'm not holding my breath.

We are still aiming for a bespoke build by Atlas Sporthomes who we are keeping up to date with info from MAN.
I've never heard of this builder before. Roughly what is the build cost from them on a 680?

Reminds me of the 1980s when I used to get dragged round MFI looking at chipboard veneered wardrobes.....
Lol, I'm assured they are a quality bit of kit. Looks tasteful from what I have seen. I will however find out in March when I get a touch and feel of it...

Wow that's lovely. Width is the main issue with panel vans, so don't blame you switching to the dark side, but what a cool one you've gone with! Hymer are a quality manufacturer, so it will be finished well.

RP do a model called Rebellion on the 4x4 chassis which looks awesome, its not bad value either as its loaded with kit. I worry about noise, ride and fuel consumption though. I'm mainly motorway driving. Maybe you can let me know how yours rides compared the the Crafter. Maybe you can upload some images too?

Look forward to updates and I'll keep you in the loop of what I will be doing too.

All the best
We had a t5.1 Cali 2WD and t6 Cali 4wd, the fuel and ride were comparable on long journeys but noticed the fuel on short ones.

I seem to recall the best I got our of the Boxdrive was 40 transiting through Denmark on the way to Norway (long straight flat road) but 35 was about average. The Sprinter is now fitted with a new E6U engine so hoping I’ll achieve over 30.

Road noise and fuel are a concern too, particularly as we’ve spec’d Goodrich BFG tyres.

Time will tell.

I’ll keep you posted.

All the best.

Nice to hear from you!

Hi @itscalledbob

Just picking up on your Norway trip , what month did you go and what did you find limiting not having a 4WD as we are planning to go this summer in a 2WD but do not want to be restricted ?

I've never heard of this builder before. Roughly what is the build cost from them on a 680?
We are running with a very ball-park figure of base vehicle plus £25k but as they build to customer's requirements the bottom line figure can vary considerably.
Our TGE spec as ordered is attached.

Attachments

• Rod Sleigh's MAN TGE Spec.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
We are running with a very ball-park figure of base vehicle plus £25k but as they build to customer's requirements the bottom line figure can vary considerably.
Our TGE spec as ordered is attached.
That's a really nicely spec'd van.

Would you share images of your completed van on here?

Cheers

All the best
The rp rebellion looks amazing bit of kit. I like the rear tailgate design, that on a 600 sprinter (4x4) with my joker layout and using the extra .7m for a tailgate gate garage would be perfect, oh and pinch the underfloor heating from a Sven.
The rebellion starts at £140k!

Last edited:
That's a really nicely spec'd van.

Would you share images of your completed van on here?

Cheers
We thought so too, 4x4 wasn't a requirement (it also reduces the internal height by 100mm) and I also omitted traffic sign recognition as I didn't think it was worth the money. I could be proved wrong on that though.
The MAN sales system offers much more flexibility in available options than VW and is financially beneficial or was when we ordered. I had the PR (options) list from the sales person to peruse at my leisure before finalising the order.

No problem in publishing pictures but I can't see the conversion being complete much before August.

Nice to hear from you!

The crossover looks a great bit of kit (both types), I was tempted with the panel van no pop too but don’t think there’s many being made.
I always seem to like rare vans!
My new joker (4x4) is so rare it still hasn’t turned up 19mths now.

Please add some pics once you get it, sounds very interesting.

Hi @itscalledbob

Just picking up on your Norway trip , what month did you go and what did you find limiting not having a 4WD as we are planning to go this summer in a 2WD but do not want to be restricted ?
The simple answer is you’ll be fine if you stick to the main roads.

We drove to Trondheim in August but there can be a big seasonal shift at the end of the month. The roads are fine, however we camped off little roads and if the weather turned it may have become problematic. We also grounded a few times going in to parking spots. If you have a step I’d recommend removing it. We had wanted to drive into the arctic circle but was advised, other than the main road, the roads favoured 4wd the further north you go but I don’t have first hand knowledge of this.

Also, I’d highly recommend to travel along the Atlantic road. Oh and register for their toll system.

HTH’s

A handful of random images, note the bridge was in the latest James Bond film.

98F2650E-5931-4B8D-AE6F-AA167DB4330A.jpeg

E70DBEAE-8D6A-4434-B210-66C4852E3AFC.jpeg

D956352D-A12B-4D53-AE76-BC5E35DFFDCC.jpeg

34B300EF-D265-4B1C-975E-B2637A446906.jpeg

4161F693-E054-483E-A690-0C6E9B14642B.jpeg

76941E4D-FED1-4EE9-AFAF-436D29B8327A.jpeg

2E5F9CB8-D6C9-4C16-A167-F6B3F42C22BD.jpeg

1C83C316-3A47-4206-B7EC-7F9135BB1D62.jpeg

Thanks @itscalledbob - Norway does look great and the right to roam is very appealing. We like to go off the beaten track too but a sprinter chassis is too narrow for the four of us. So far only the Ducato seems a suitable width but I am slightly worried about it being a Fiat, not sure what other options we have for a four birth pop top on a 6 meter van (preferably 4WD)

Thanks @itscalledbob - Norway does look great and the right to roam is very appealing. We like to go off the beaten track too but a sprinter chassis is too narrow for the four of us. So far only the Ducato seems a suitable width but I am slightly worried about it being a Fiat, not sure what other options we have for a four birth pop top on a 6 meter van (preferably 4WD)
Just looked at the dimensions of the Sprinter, Ducato and the Crafter and to my surprise you’re right, the Duke is the widest, though it does depend on where you measure it!

Looking at the max width the sizes (mm) are as follows: Sprinter (2020), Ducato (2050) and the Crafter (2040).

There are only 2 4wd vans I’m aware of; Sprinter and Crafter. There are plenty of Sprinters available with pop roofs (Hymer Grand Canyon for example ) but I’ve only seen 1 Crafter, that being a Knaus boxdrive. As previously stated if you go German and 4WD expect £6 figures. If however you value the extra inch then I’m afraid it’s the Duke and no 4WD.

It’s all about compromises…..

I quite like my ugly bulges, not many 4x4 motorhomes used in Norway. Rear wheel drive with snow tyres, plus legal requirement to carry snow chains if snow expected 3.5 t and over.
Save yourself 10k and 5+ mpg with 2wd.
Bulges not so promanent in certain colours.

Hi @Wondering Star

We almost purchasd a 4x4 Hymer GC but it wasnt for us , not just the bulges which I could have lived with. The problem with the Fiat Ducuto bases are they are all front wheel drive now

Hi @Wondering Star

We almost purchasd a 4x4 Hymer GC but it wasnt for us , not just the bulges which I could have lived with. The problem with the Fiat Ducuto bases are they are all front wheel drive now
And the driving experience is nowhere near as nice as the Crafter/Sprinter…

I have bounced quite happily over rough tracks in my Ayers Rock, no fear of grounding.

My big problem though was grip, a steep climb on wet grass with exposed rock and I was spinning the offside. That said I still have the original factory fitted summer tyres. I'm sure MnS or Winter and it would have coped better.

Still got to the top though, with a bi of a grunt and an extended run.

I've had to be towed off two camp sites and in October pushed off a bit of grass by 'no kidding' 10 burley pissed up guys from a pub, which dented both my rear doors btw.

I have never known a worst van for getting stuck than my Boxdrive!

Back