Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

I've had to be towed off two camp sites and in October pushed off a bit of grass by 'no kidding' 10 burley pissed up guys from a pub, which dented both my rear doors btw.

I have never known a worst van for getting stuck than my Boxdrive!

Back before my 4mo Cali days, and before then my Range Rover + caravan days, I owned a Peugeot based PIlote.

I don't think I ever parked on grass without needing help off, often by some smug git pulling a caravan with a Range Rover :)

Since then, with no 4mo, only hardstanding please.

Reactions: DNR
Good afternoon,

To have 4x4 or not is always a big discussion topic and I thought about this a lot. But for me it is an easy decision - because I can't afford it.

Trying to think about the facts I don't believe I need it. 99% of the time I drive on streets / roads or gravel roads. What remains are the famous "wet grass" on camps sites. Hm, in my T6 I got stuck, at the time with standard VW tyres. I changed the tyres on the T6 and the GC 600 to Michelin (Agilis) CrossClimate. Since then I had no problems.

What I am trying to say is that I believe that it is more important to have more "grippy" tyres for the few times I need them. But future will tell.

If it is possible to go to Scandinavia this year nobody knows, but if, I don't believe we would run into problems with front wheel drive, because of the more grippy tyres.

But have I said that of course I wish a 4x4 :). If I could afford it, I would love the Hymer ML-T 570 Crossover. I had a look at the German web page the only thing I would add to the standard configuration would be heated seats. I don't know, but I can imagine that camper would cost in ROI easily EUR180k or even more, plus 2 - 2 1/2 year lead time.

Happy 2x4 Grand California
Eberhard

Have driven California 4xw. The GC600 front-wheel drive is now used. Have no problems. Here in Norway, tires are used that are adapted to the need and it is legal to use the head.

From what I have read the Mitchelin Agilis camping tyres are summer and although they specify M&S they are not that great although I stand to be corrected. I will be replacing them with either Michelin crossclimate or Contiental four season , I will be dealing with more mud and feilds than snow

Hello,

For the T6 I was looking for tyres that are 90% road and 10% off road (wet grass, gravel roads). I came up with the BF Goodrich Urban Terrain, but the load capacity was not sufficient.

I contacted BF Goodrich and got a reply from Michelin saying that the Urban Terrain were not available in higher load capacity. They recommended to me the Michelin CrossClimate and for the GC 600 the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. Like the Urban Terrain those tyres are designed not only for winter conditions, but for light off road (mud and grass).

So I looked them up and found good reviews so I got the Michelin Agilis for the GC 600. Now after about 5,000 km I can say they work well on dry and wet roads, on gravel and forest roads as well as on light mud. I have not use them in wet grass.

The disadvantage, at least from the Agilis tyres are, that they through up the mud and dirt a bit more than normal tyres. The camper always looks dirty.

Regards,
Eberhard

I have Continental 4Season tyres on RWD Mercedes.
Never experience a problem on road, not so confident on wet/muddy grass. Never got stuck that's more to do with being RWD, for off road use there's just to little tread depth.
When replacing I will investigate all terrain option's.

I've had to be towed off two camp sites and in October pushed off a bit of grass by 'no kidding' 10 burley pissed up guys from a pub, which dented both my rear doors btw.

I have never known a worst van for getting stuck than my Boxdrive!
My big fear. Hasn't happened yet luckily.

The worst thing I find about my Boxdrive is the lack of ground clearance, so tempted to just remove the step but at the same time it's so handy.

That's interesting, thanks for the idea.

Wonder what the handling affects would be? Downside is it would be facilitating my addiction to pouring money into vehicles..... :)

Mine, Hymer Grand Canyon has become just so.
Spare wheel carrier/tyre 1k
Lithium set up 3k
Full air rear suspension4.5k
Wish list also incudes Black Rhino wheels, Lazer spot lamps.
Can't decide if I purchased the correct van or not, although i suspect any van would need personal modifications.
Although I do like the new Three Bridges Trek van conversion based on a LWB Man, check it out on youtube

You may be able to add a suspension lift kit.
You can get a number of lift kits for the crafter however VW doesn’t recommend going past 30mm.

It causes handling and steering issues apparently.This includes the 4x4 crafter.

The Sprinter 4x4 comes with a modified suspension with 100mm lift from the factory. This is why I’ve gone down the MLT-580 4x4 route.

You can get a number of lift kits for the crafter however VW doesn’t recommend going past 30mm.

It causes handling and steering issues apparently.This includes the 4x4 crafter.

The Sprinter 4x4 comes with a modified suspension with 100mm lift from the factory. This is why I’ve gone down the MLT-580 4x4 route.
Apparently SEIKEL are applying to vw for approval and VB are testing the full 4C full air suspension and apparently all ready have approval, should be on sale around September.

Apparently SEIKEL are applying to vw for approval and VB are testing the full 4C full air suspension and apparently all ready have approval, should be on sale
I had a good at the Seikel kit and unless they have something else in the pipeline it is only a 30mm lift. Also, it already has a certificate of no objection from VW, but for £2k I’d have expected more lift.

Really surprised to see this from Celtic today.
What a shame…

One of the good guys.

362FCDDD-1829-4806-B8E1-77B4E8120A48.jpeg

BFCAC7CA-4BE0-43F1-83CB-4D847D081BA6.jpeg

Really surprised to see this from Celtic today.
What a shame…

One of the good guys.

View attachment 99697

View attachment 99698
Yes real shame, I read that earlier too. A case of good craftsmen don’t always make good businessmen, I have a feeling someone should have been monitoring build costs/overheads etc. and reigning in certain aspects.
Still very sad for the guys and customers, they did some great builds.

I’m sure I saw a statement a couple of years ago from NewWave. Another good converter.
They decided to stop doing customisations. They have a couple of typical floor plans and keep 80% of the build the same and just change things like seat covers.
At the time I thought it was a bit sad that they were moving away from bespoke builds.
However, possibly a sensible move, streamlining the business in a way to maximise profitability.

Oh that is a shame. I have spoken with them in the past and they are always willing to help people doing self builds.

Good to see they are going to keep going on a small scale and will be more manageable. Staff are the biggest overhead and headache…

This is very sad
The first time I met ed and his employee jay at the nec just before covid I thought these are the ones I wanted to build us a bigger van,
There conversions are/was stunning it’s nice to see someone who’s staff are genuinely into what they do .
At the time they had one build slot but we hadn’t decided or didn’t know a great deal about what spec crafter we wanted so we ended up passing on that slot.
We then ordered a Westfalia months after.
Next to a westy Celtic was definitely our other choice
Such a shame

How you getting along itscalledbob ? You taken delivery of the Sprinter?

I’ve taken the plunge and have a Sprinter L4 being delivered in December. Between me and a joiner fiend will create a nice camper out of it. Wish me luck!

Not great news, I thought about them earlier today as I drove away from looking at a GC.
I follow them on facebook and over a year ago they closed their order books saying they would not take on any other work for a long time ??

Not great news, I thought about them earlier today as I drove away from looking at a GC.
I follow them on facebook and over a year ago they closed their order books saying they would not take on any other work for a long time ??
Having a full order book doesn’t help with cash flow unfortunately.

How you getting along itscalledbob ? You taken delivery of the Sprinter?

I’ve taken the plunge and have a Sprinter L4 being delivered in December. Between me and a joiner fiend will create a nice camper out of it. Wish me luck!
Nice to hear from you!

It’s been a bit of a trial. I put the deposit on the van in September last year. It was initially a Feb build but that slipped month by month. Even increasing in price by 2k. It didn’t help Mercedes changing the van’s engine and drive train in Jan.

The good news is it is in build now (apparently) and should be delivered within 4 weeks. I’ll post a picture when it turns up.

Any reason why you’ve changed the boxdrive?

Nice to hear from you!

It’s been a bit of a trial. I put the deposit on the van in September last year. It was initially a Feb build but that slipped month by month. Even increasing in price by 2k. It didn’t help Mercedes changing the van’s engine and drive train in Jan.

The good news is it is in build now (apparently) and should be delivered within 4 weeks. I’ll post a picture when it turns up.

Any reason why you’ve changed the boxdrive?
Hello my friend!

Yeah the world we live in is has changed, van supply is a real worldwide problem. Getting vans for my business is difficult, and increased by a third in price. It’s bonkers!

Great to hear all is back on track. Yes, please keep me posted.

I don’t keep any vehicle longer than 3 years, so time to change, but I really need 4 birth now. My son and his girlfriend are sleeping in the race car trailer. He didn’t have a girlfriend when I ordered this van

Im so looking forward to getting started on the camper conversion. I’ve had plenty of time to research and plan, I know exactly what I want from my new van. Using Evo Motion kits and taking inspiration for everything that was good from the Boxdrive and every other van I’ve researched, I’m sure we can build a great van.

One thing that really disappointed me about the Boxdrive last week. I got a guy to come roll out the dents in the rear doors (previously mentioned). i took the rear inside panels off the van, expecting a lot of insulation to be removed to gain access to the skin. No insulation in there whatsoever! A company that pride themselves on the insulation properties of their vehicles… Disgusting!

Makes me even more pleased I’m taking on a build myself. Wish me luck.

Hello my friend!

Yeah the world we live in is has changed, van supply is a real worldwide problem. Getting vans for my business is difficult, and increased by a third in price. It’s bonkers!

Great to hear all is back on track. Yes, please keep me posted.

I don’t keep any vehicle longer than 3 years, so time to change, but I really need 4 birth now. My son and his girlfriend are sleeping in the race car trailer. He didn’t have a girlfriend when I ordered this van

Im so looking forward to getting started on the camper conversion. I’ve had plenty of time to research and plan, I know exactly what I want from my new van. Using Evo Motion kits and taking inspiration for everything that was good from the Boxdrive and every other van I’ve researched, I’m sure we can build a great van.

One thing that really disappointed me about the Boxdrive last week. I got a guy to come roll out the dents in the rear doors (previously mentioned). i took the rear inside panels off the van, expecting a lot of insulation to be removed to gain access to the skin. No insulation in there whatsoever! A company that pride themselves on the insulation properties of their vehicles… Disgusting!

Makes me even more pleased I’m taking on a build myself. Wish me luck.
I thought long and hard over a self build. I have the skills and learned a lot from the boxdrive. I even looked at the old forward control Land Rover with a view to build my own box body. My wife had the last word though.

I recall taking the trim off the rear doors too and was surprised over the lack of any insulation. At least with your own build you’ll be able to get it 100%. You’ll have to keep me posted

It appears to be quite normal to have limited or no insulation in the rear doors, I suspect it's because of the rear window fitting as water / moisture travels down the inside and through the drain holes.
Thought of insulating my Hymer but don't find it cold and suspect damp/wet insulation will cause more problems than it solves.

Back