Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

remind me what is the name of this club? Sure hymer have there own club, you could always start one.

Now now.
There was a time on this forum where there were no other sections other than California SE. Being one of the first adopters of the Beach I asked for a Beach sub section and it happened.
Now we have sub sections for Coast, Caddy and Grand.
You could argue that the later two aren’t really proper California’s…

Plenty of members have moved on and come back. It’s good to hear experiences from all sides.
:thumb

Yeah, the garage said about 4 weeks.
They said I could pop in for a look, but I feel that would add to the torture of waiting…

Have fun at Duxford :thumb
A month? I would have thought a Hymer dealer would be able to access the secure DVLA system and register it themselves? TW managed to turn mine around in 5 days and register the day of collection.

Here you Go, (below)

You shouldn’t dilute the pool really as they aren’t a VW, Westies are fine.

Also not good to slag off other owners pride and joy, particularly when you haven’t owned one.
I’m sure when you receive yours and had it a few week you will not be on here airing the problems, just the benefits I guess.

There are a good number of GC owners here that enjoy their vans and no complaints even though a few common issues however not serious ones.

Nothing personal intended.

I wonder if the admins could start a Hymer section.
Seems to be quite a few converts on the forum.
Seems a very reasonable request to me.

Maybe call it " The Exiles" to include any non VW.
It would be a real shame to lose some of our most frequent posters to the forum just because they have moved on!

@Jester
I’m glad you enjoy your van.
But don’t kid yourself. It’s no California…!!!
The new Buzz is closer to the original concept than the GC ever will be .

@Jester
I do like many others members you alieanate via your negative comments constantly, it does the job for what its meant for.
All Campervans are a compromise one way or another, we all have differences in requirements.
You will note that having had a Cali I understand what it is.
The GC serves a slightly different function which suits my needs. Just because VW marketing call it a Grand California doesn’t make it an Ocean. I would have still purchased one whatever they called it.

Hope that clears your misunderstanding, and really hope you and your family enjoy your Hymer

Last edited:
Owners of post 2016 Crafter / TGE based vehicles please be patent there may be something to announce in the near future.

I do like many others members you alieanate via your negative comments constantly, it does the job for what its meant for.
All Campervans are a compromise one way or another, we all have differences in requirements.
You will note that having had a Cali I understand what it is.
The GC serves a slightly different function which suits my needs. Just because VW marketing call it a Grand California doesn’t make it an Ocean. I would have still purchased one whatever they called it.

Hope that clears your misunderstanding, and really hope you and your family enjoy your Hymer

Please, if you feel alienated by a different point of view. Tap my name and press the ignore button.
All the best :thumb

Ok, I don't still own a Cali but I remember it with fondness, I'm still interested in the brand, look in occasionally and still support the forum with my membership fees.
I suspect all the talk of Westfalia and Hymer vans irritates the purists however the advise and knowledge shouldn't be dismissed.
Many Cali owners move on due to change of circumstances, reading members comments are not only interesting but invaluable when making the next step.
Talk of Hymer/Westfalia is not a slur on the brand but a realisation that one brand can not satisfy all.
Since selling the VW I've gained a wealth of knowledge on the Hymer Grand Canyon, good, bad and ugly which I'm more than happy to share.

Please, if you feel alienated by a different point of view. Tap my name and press the ignore button.
All the best :thumb
Nope just like to see other members you irritate. As that’s who you are.

@Jester
Strange that I am sitting in my Grand California and certainly feels like a California. Having owned VW campers for many years including 8 years of T5.1 Cali this is great alternative to the California if you want extra space and wet room. Whatever your grip with the GC is it’s your personnel opinion which is fine but as Jester has pointed out separate sections for none VW campers doesn’t seem correct for this forum.

Before posting.
Reread all of this thread. No negativity from me about the GC, other than I don’t accept it’s a true California. Let’s not dilute this thread, because there’s some good info about other non VW vans

Before posting.
Reread all of this thread. No negativity from me about the GC, other than I don’t accept it’s a true California. Let’s not dilute this thread, because there’s some good info about other non VW vans
I have read the posts ta, and agree some very good info. The point being made was about your request for sub section in forum. It’s one thing to discuss other vans in open posts and another to have a Hymer section in the VW California forum. Anyway off now to enjoy rest of my weekend in my pride and joy of a Grand California :thumb:thumb:thumb

Seems a very reasonable request to me.

Maybe call it " The Exiles" to include any non VW.
It would be a real shame to lose some of our most frequent posters to the forum just because they have moved on!
The site owners have done it before- they set up the marco polo forum, that looks like it could do with a bit more traffic so why not expand that to be the none California forum.

Before posting.
Twenty pages, far more than other current threads, largely given over to people saying they don't like something, largely written by people who don't own the thing they don't like. Obviously, it's good that they don't own it as they don't like, I get that ....... but for the record, I decided to wait on our third new van in nearly fifteen years, a GC600, we're very happy with it, the best yet .......... and no, it's not a California; it's in the name, it's a Grand California. And, if I wanted a dual-purpose vehicle, didn't need a loo or a fixed bed I wouldn't have bought it. As for Sven Hedin, he was a Nazi sympathiser who wrote approvingly of Hitler during WW2, nothing to do with the thread, but I thought I'd share

I’ve done it. I’ve build my own Campervan. Just over two months of hard graft, but I’m super proud of it. Might not be appropriate to post these pictures hee, but I’ve had a good relationship with people in this thread, so thought people might want to see it72A4C42C-6A80-4883-BF5A-1E07EE8A87D4.jpeg

CE0E7A0E-F576-484D-8EE7-E5E2F5829026.jpeg

B3996E8C-EC05-481D-AA7D-1A116CA9F7B6.jpeg

04C8402C-82FF-428A-B5FE-78672B354532.jpeg

6B388C55-1D0D-4437-8BBA-8AAF76F70764.jpeg

46072A5D-40D1-4533-A1B0-46951EFB89C5.jpeg

66AC3B6F-FFB1-4394-AA37-1C53FA7C6C5A.jpeg

8A00E1CF-A226-4534-BFF6-EDA739EDF7D3.jpeg

F041F195-C697-49F6-820C-952BB8576FA7.jpeg

771C1BA0-C832-42C2-BD7D-A8AE5F9C5BA1.jpeg

I’ve done it. I’ve build my own Campervan. Just over two months of hard graft, but I’m super proud of it. Might not be appropriate to post these pictures hee, but I’ve had a good relationship with people in this thread, so thought people might want to see itView attachment 107453

View attachment 107454

View attachment 107455

View attachment 107456

View attachment 107457

View attachment 107458

View attachment 107459

View attachment 107460

View attachment 107461

View attachment 107462
That is fantastic! Great job

Reactions: DNR
I’ve done it. I’ve build my own Campervan. Just over two months of hard graft, but I’m super proud of it. Might not be appropriate to post these pictures hee, but I’ve had a good relationship with people in this thread, so thought people might want to see itView attachment 107453

View attachment 107454

View attachment 107455

View attachment 107456

View attachment 107457

View attachment 107458

View attachment 107459

View attachment 107460

View attachment 107461

View attachment 107462
That's a fantastic build and the satisfaction of having done it yourself. Awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

View attachment 107454

View attachment 107455

View attachment 107456

View attachment 107457

View attachment 107458

View attachment 107459

View attachment 107460

View attachment 107461

View attachment 107462
Better than most 'professional' builds I have seen. Well done.

View attachment 107454

View attachment 107455

View attachment 107456

View attachment 107457

View attachment 107458

View attachment 107459

View attachment 107460

View attachment 107461

View attachment 107462

Awesome! Just awesome. Maybe you want to share more details about it? And whatever others think: This is exactly the right place to share your great work/vanWell done!

Back