Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Boxdrive sold and being collected tomorrow. I didn't even advertise it. It was a nice weekend few weeks ago, so I cleaned her up and recorded a video to put on YouTube ready for when I was ready to sell.
Started getting enquiries through YouTube. I could have sold it three times. Got more for it than I paid 3yrs ago. Mind, I did get it reletivley cheap and just before they shot up in price.

Self build canvas arrives in the UK mid December for delivery January. I'm going to have a very busy winter...

Boxdrive sold and being collected tomorrow. I didn't even advertise it. It was a nice weekend few weeks ago, so I cleaned her up and recorded a video to put on YouTube ready for when I was ready to sell.
Started getting enquiries through YouTube. I could have sold it three times. Got more for it than I paid 3yrs ago. Mind, I did get it reletivley cheap and just before they shot up in price.

Self build canvas arrives in the UK mid December for delivery January. I'm going to have a very busy winter...
Cool! I hope you point us to any self build thread that you plan to start (and I would recommend you start please) . Even on here on a Cali forum will be fine.

Good luck with the build.

Reactions: DNR

The successful sale is good news especially achieved so easily and financially positive.

Our 'blank canvas' was collected from the MAN dealer last Thursday, hopefully conversion will begin in January.
IMG_20221103_160929@20%.jpg
It's a LWB FWD High roof 177bhp Auto MAN TGE ordered August 2021 and delivered at the original quoted price. The spec as ordered is attached.

Our current LWB High roof T6 can be seen in the background, this will most likely be sold sometime next year when the TGE is completed and tried out.

Attachments

• Rod's MAN TGE Spec.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
The successful sale is good news especially achieved so easily and financially positive.

Our 'blank canvas' was collected from the MAN dealer last Thursday, hopefully conversion will begin in January.
View attachment 101546
It's a LWB FWD High roof 177bhp Auto MAN TGE ordered August 2021 and delivered at the original quoted price. The spec as ordered is attached.

Our current LWB High roof T6 can be seen in the background, this will most likely be sold sometime next year when the TGE is completed and tried out.
Great to hear you have finally taken delivery, look forward to seeing what you do with the interior layout! Keep us updated with progress.

Cool! I hope you point us to any self build thread that you plan to start (and I would recommend you start please) . Even on here on a Cali forum will be fine.

Good luck with the build.
Not sure

View attachment 101546

That's great news Rod. You are finally under way. Look forward to seeing it finished. Great blank canvas by the way!

Sorry Chris, started writing a reply, then got side tracked. 'Not sure' just appeared. I'm building a Sprinter, so am 'not sure' Admin will be pleased with me posting up pics of my Merc self build. I will keep everyone on here posted tho, for as long as I am allowed.

Absolutely nothing against the Crafter, its been a fabulous van, but I do a lot of heavy towing and the RWD Sprinter should do this job a bit better IMO. Time will tell...

Sorry Chris, started writing a reply, then got side tracked. 'Not sure' just appeared. I'm building a Sprinter, so am 'not sure' Admin will be pleased with me posting up pics of my Merc self build. I will keep everyone on here posted tho, for as long as I am allowed.

Absolutely nothing against the Crafter, its been a fabulous van, but I do a lot of heavy towing and the RWD Sprinter should do this job a bit better IMO. Time will tell...
Did you not look at the rear wheel drive Crafter?

And yes if I'm allowed I will post more as it goes along.

Reactions: DNR
Boxdrive sold and being collected tomorrow.
That’s great news! I’ll be interested in how it develops and the choices you make.

My Hymer finally arrived last week, 14 months wait and only 8 months late….

For some odd reason we’ve decided to do our shakedown trip in Scotland during November. At least we’ll find out if it’s water tight .

1A17E9C0-1D8F-4868-9F96-5C15B3C73480.jpeg

That’s great news! I’ll be interested in how it develops and the choices you make.

For some odd reason we’ve decided to do our shakedown trip in Scotland during November. At least we’ll find out if it’s water tight .

View attachment 101549

Now that is impressive! Check out the ground clearance... I see you've been buy on it already. Happy with it?

MLT 570 with the new engine and AWD would be my choice, unfortunately only 2/3 birth.
Enjoy the van, looks great.
Really happy with my Hymer.

Now that is impressive! Check out the ground clearance... I see you've been buy on it already. Happy with it?
Really pleased but not had it long enough to give a full assessment. The ground clearance was the reason why I went down the Mercedes route. Got to also say the software control interface (MBUX) is so much better than VW.
MLT 570 with the new engine and AWD would be my choice, unfortunately only 2/3 birth.
Enjoy the van, looks great.
Really happy with my Hymer.
Originally was going for the 570 crossover but decided to go for the 580 and spec it up. We found the extra 20cm was worth the trade off for a better washroom and extra hanging space. The new engine/ gearbox and 4matic is good though I haven’t had any experience of the old V6

Last edited:
Unless your a hard case off roader I think the AWD and new engine will be a major plus.
25 + mpg a real bonus, AWD should be nicer to drive.
MLT facebook group worth a look.

Unless your a hard case off roader I think the AWD and new engine will be a major plus.
25 + mpg a real bonus, AWD should be nicer to drive.
MLT facebook group worth a look.
Its only done 600miles but we managed 28mpg between metal bridge inn and Glasgow (90 miles). Had to draft a lorry all the way tho

That's good, my Sprinter GC 2WD averages 26/27 when fully loaded, believe the older MLT V6 only averaged 24 mpg
It's worth saying that when I first moved to the Sprinter from the California I found the engine slightly agricultural , however now it has covered 16000 miles it's quite and really smooth.
Happy travels.

View attachment 101549
Your new MLT looks great. We nearly went down the Boxdrive route ourselves but finally much to our own surprise ordered a Hymer B-MCI 690 to replace our Cali in 2020. Took 12 months to arrive and have now covered 14,000 + miles and overall are very pleased. Average overall mpg on the trip computer is 28.8 but varies hugely.
We bought from Travelworld in Stafford, who did you order from? I hope you enjoy many great adventures, it would be good to hear how you get on.

View attachment 101549
You’ve picked the wrong spot as the cairngorms has been dry and sunny/cold.
I’m guessing you sold the GC (I bought your 907 bottle)
Cracking van :thumb

Last edited:
I wonder if the admins could start a Hymer section.
Seems to be quite a few converts on the forum.

I suggested it over a year ago.

It would also be quite good for Campervan bits as a lot of stuff sold through the club shop is very applicable to a Hymer, or anyone elses, Campervan.

My Hymer arrived Wednesday…:bananadance2
Just the long wait for the paper work. Fingers crossed all sorted before Christmas.

My Hymer arrived Wednesday…:bananadance2
Just the long wait for the paper work. Fingers crossed all sorted before Christmas.

It took about 4 weeks for mine to be registered.

Definitely different driving to a VW but a brilliant camper. Off next week, 4 nights walking miles around Duxford museum.

It took about 4 weeks for mine to be registered.

Definitely different driving to a VW but a brilliant camper. Off next week, 4 nights walking miles around Duxford museum.

Yeah, the garage said about 4 weeks.
They said I could pop in for a look, but I feel that would add to the torture of waiting…

Have fun at Duxford :thumb

Back