Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

I just wonder if ours are being built and shipped together as we were both given a similar build date.

What specification have you gone with. Mine as follows:
Crafter package - Energy plus pack - Media nav pack - TV pack - Awning - Spare bed 180 - Folding loft bed - Blackout curtain - Drivers cab footmat set - 2.0/177ps auto - White.
I would have loved metallic paint, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I will be sourcing a nice set of 18" alloys from LK Performance and save a chunk of money rather than pay £1700 from Knaus, then sell the steels and tyres.
I will probably colour code the bumpers too.
I need a tow bar, but Knaus 'apparently' wont factory fit.

Will be good to keep in touch, there is the black one you have posted on here, but as far as I can tell, there are no others in the uk... yet.

If afraid you’re right. Apparently the chassis have been delayed by VW (probably diverted to the GC?). I’m told they are due into the UK in September.

I’ve gone for a quite a high spec as I intend to keep this one for some time.0D82F6E8-2261-4F5D-B2FB-F2713120BE38.jpeg

There are a couple of items I’m intending to retro-fit such as the parking sensor. For some reason you can spec a camera but not sensors??

You have gone to town there, lovely specification.
Something worth noting, the raising rear bed is not standard. Standard just hinges at the front. We only found out about this recently. That would have been a disaster for me as I need the rear space. Cost approx £450 from memory.
Although I haven’t heard from my dealer lately, I had decided to wait until Sept anyway. Although I have a private Reg, being 69reg will help residual a little when we come to sell.

Hope you got a chunky discount, we have done really well at Don Ammot.

Keep in touch

You have gone to town there, lovely specification.
Something worth noting, the raising rear bed is not standard. Standard just hinges at the front. We only found out about this recently. That would have been a disaster for me as I need the rear space. Cost approx £450 from memory.
Although I haven’t heard from my dealer lately, I had decided to wait until Sept anyway. Although I have a private Reg, being 69reg will help residual a little when we come to sell.

Hope you got a chunky discount, we have done really well at Don Ammot.

Keep in touch

Oh, didn't know about the bed.... I've had a look at the option list and haven't been able to see anything regarding the bed mechanism. Also the one I've seen had the full raising system and wasn't listed as an option. I will email my dealer and double check. On another note, whilst checking the options I noted there is an option for a detachable towbar (item no 222658 £836). It will be a factory (VW) fit so you'll have to be quick to get it spec'd. That said I suspect you'll be able to get a fixed one fitted for around £500.

Yes, I negotiated an agreeable discount ;-

When will yours be delivered? Mine was scheduled for June / July but slipping. Think VW is the issue with supply of the base vehicle.

I assume Knaus are not alone and this is the reason Westfalia have moved over to the MAN base vehicle for their Sven

I assume Knaus are not alone and this is the reason Westfalia have moved over to the MAN base vehicle for their Sven
MAN is just a VW Crafter badged for the normally larger fleets with hgv MAN trucks. Still a VW Vehicle group.

Last edited:

I thought the MAN came off the same line and was just rebadged?

Yeah I
Oh, didn't know about the bed.... I've had a look at the option list and haven't been able to see anything regarding the bed mechanism. Also the one I've seen had the full raising system and wasn't listed as an option. I will email my dealer and double check. On another note, whilst checking the options I noted there is an option for a detachable towbar (item no 222658 £836). It will be a factory (VW) fit so you'll have to be quick to get it spec'd. That said I suspect you'll be able to get a fixed one fitted for around £500.

Yeah, I presumed the lifting bed was standard, it’s not clear in brochure. If you hear different, please let me know as I have been charged extra.

I also questioned why tow bar was in the options list, but (according to my sales guy) not available. Like you say, I’ll get one fitted locally and will be cheaper.

Are you aware there are no cab blinds? Something to do with side airbags prevent them being fitted. I have taken the cab curtains as a result. Again, not clear in the brochure.

There seems to be long waits on all factory built vans at the mo. I’ve just ordered a Citroen Relay for my business, next year before it arrives. Had similar lead times with Transits too.

All vans are about to be subject to similar emission tests as cars hence the delay. As usual all manufacturers are trying to catch up.

Do you have a confirmed delivery date yet? Mine is slipping to end of Sept / Oct... Getting frustrating now!

Do you have a confirmed delivery date yet? Mine is slipping to end of Sept / Oct... Getting frustrating now!
As far as I know there has been some production delays (I’m assuming VW) and the Boxdrive production is set for week 37 (sept 9th). This would confirm delivery for end of sept. The factory is on ‘factory fortnight’ and will return to full production on Thursday 29th (tomorrow). If I get an update I’ll repost.

As far as I know there has been some production delays (I’m assuming VW) and the Boxdrive production is set for week 37 (sept 9th). This would confirm delivery for end of sept. The factory is on ‘factory fortnight’ and will return to full production on Thursday 29th (tomorrow). If I get an update I’ll repost.
Can I ask what colour spec did you go for these look lovely

Yeah I have been given the same production date, so we are certainly together in this. Cheers

Thanks for the images.

I was initially quite excited about the Grand Cali, but I need a proper 3 + berths. So I shopped around and found the perfect vehicle. As you have done itscalledbob I put my deposit down on a Knaus Boxdrive 680 last November, hoping for delivery August / September. Many thanks for the detailed images, as I have never seen one outside of youtube and the brochure.

I currently have a Dethleffs A Class which is nice, however I carry lots of stuff (we do motor racing) sometimes tow a car and living in Inverness drive lots of miles in one go. I'm on the limit with weight and I wanted something more comfortable to drive, and having been looking at the same Fiat Ducato dash with the same poor heater and ventilation through 3 x motorhomes, I really needed a change. I cant wait for my Boxdrive!

When will yours be delivered? Mine was scheduled for June / July but slipping. Think VW is the issue with supply of the base vehicle.
Now delayed to week 41. On the verge of cancelling and buying a Cali.... not happy! Getting sick of the terrible communication and only finding out after the fact and after I have to chase....

Sorry to read this and really surprises me. Last week I got told my vehicle was completed and ready for shipping to the uk. I expected ours to be built and shipped together. The only thing I can think might be causing issue is the colour. Mines white.
I will agree, communication has been very poor...

In short I believe there are better (and I suspect cheaper) alternative already available.

After a huge amount of consternation We’ve decided to put a deposit on the Knaus boxdrive 680. (Pronounced K-naus)

Details: https://www.knaus.com/en-uk/camper-vans-cuv/boxdrive/highlights/

Wife and I had decided we were changing the Cali for a van with a washroom but not a Ducato (for a number of reasons). The new Crafter seemed an ideal alternative and the GC couldn’t have been introduced with better timing (or so we thought).

We so much wanted to like the GC and VW were initially pushing on an open door but what we saw in Düsseldorf didn’t really impress and what I heard in Birmingham failed to improve our view.

The only things that kept us interested was the 4motion, price and one build manufacturing (warranty).

Following the Birmingham show what was really grating on me was the suggested additional £15k premium for a UK spec vehicle that was partially justified as ‘what the market could bear’ (FFS!).

The final nail in the coffin has been the continued lack of concrete information, despite receiving assurances by the VW marketing people in the Düsseldorf show that the GC would be available to order in the UK by January. Almost 4 months have elapsed and a month since I was at the Birmingham show and STILL nothing. I wanted Billy’s replacement for summer and If ordered now the Knaus would be available in July. Decision made, deposit placed.

I’ve made it clear on a previous posts I thought the GC hadn’t been thought through and the finish quality was poor. Contrasting that with the Knaus you’ll find a well thought out and well finished interior, you’ll even note there’s a place to hang the shower head too! It’s quite clear Knaus is a company well grounded in making caravans and conversions. I also noted the German start price is €60k which translates exactly to a UK price of £55k (no ripoff Britain premium added). This fact would seem to indicate another contrast that suggests VWC propensity to bend us over! I should mention a full spec Boxdrive can go north of £80k. Another point to note is the Knaus uses the mid height van and is 20cm lower than the equivalent GC 680 and according looks a little tidier. Incidentally the Westy Sven Hedin uses the mid height van too (so no idea why VW have to use the extra height?)

I’ll let everyone know and will post a video review when it turns up.

Finally, I purchased from Better Than Camping based in Worcestershire. I found Ed Stone to be both helpful and knowledgeable but would also caution anyone visiting him as he is in the process of relocating his business and developing his new sales area.

Email: ed@betterthancamping.co.uk if you’re interested....
Hi I’m just looking at replacing my ocean was wondering how you are getting on as I’m potentially looking at the knaus

Hi I’m just looking at replacing my ocean was wondering how you are getting on as I’m potentially looking at the knaus
I’m afraid to say that Knaus are about as helpful as VW.... mine is scheduled to be built at the end of next week and provided there are no more problems it should be on my drive in 4 weeks. I’ll let you know once it’s arrived.

I’m afraid to say that Knaus are about as helpful as VW.... mine is scheduled to be built at the end of next week and provided there are no more problems it should be on my drive in 4 weeks. I’ll let you know once it’s arrived.
Yes I think I caught up reading it Vw were pretty useless when I spoke to them Yesterday about the 680 as well

Yes I think I caught up reading it Vw were pretty useless when I spoke to them Yesterday about the 680 as well

Patience is needed when ordering one of these. I ordered my Knaus Boxdrive approx 11 months ago. They initially quoted a delivery date in June. I should have it in a couple of weeks time, so will provide an honest report on it with some images for you then.

More bad news from me I'm afraid, I've just returned from holiday fully expecting my Boxdrive to be here and ready to collect. Nope, its still in Germany and the earliest they can get it to the uk is 16th October. Seems its just been sitting there for three weeks. Beggars belief! I've blasted them, told them its got to be here next week or I'll cancel... Seems our German friends are in no rush to help us brits, cant imagine why...

Back