Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Here is a quick report, I'll start with a couple of negatives:
The washroom sink is too small to really use, you cant get your head under the cabinet to was your face or brush your teeth, I have tried and you end up getting the toiler roll wet. So you have to lift the big sink out which is a bit of a faf. I ended up using the kitchen sink.

The manual is in German, so there are still some buttons I don't know what they do, I'm sure Ill work it out though.

The third bed is a little too short.

That is it for negatives.

The positives:

The base vehicle it fabulous, I've never driven a Crafter before, it drives lovely and is very quiet. I think the insulation Knaus put into the vehicle helps here.

I've seen lots of images of the Boxdrive, but the first impression as soon as you slide open the side door, which is on the offside (maybe a negative) is the air of quality and the very tasteful decor. In my opinion far nicer than the clinical white of the Grand Cali. The air of quality is not just looks, the fit and finish is first rate. Everything fits beautifully.

Led lighting throughout with touch buttons and a touch screen.
There are no fewer than 7 usb outlets, two in each reading light and one next to the main instrument screen which we have mounted our WIFI. All next to recesses to charge your kit. This is a godsend for a family with iphones, ipads and iwatches.

Five 240v sockets and two 12v outlets.

Trumer Deisel heating with icontrol.

Storage is plenty, with lockers and large drawers, more than in my A Class Dethleffs Motorhome we are coming from.

The rear bed raises (optional) and creates a massive area beneath the massive and very comfy rear bed. Maybe another negative is the bed has a cutaway which means getting a ground sheet to fit it will be difficult. Any ideas? The mattress is already showing some signs of dirt. The joys of dirty motor racing...

Washroom, yes there is a compromise with the sink, but the revelation is the shower. Its massive! I have had many motorhomes, even an American Winnebago, none have a shower as roomy as this one.Very clever packaging indeed. The floor is also very comfy, almost like rubber under foot, with 4 x drain holes, it really is fab! There are no towel rails, hooks etc, so a trip to B&Q this weekend will sort that.

Insulation. It was cold last weekend, we started on Wednesday night in our Dethleffs. As soon as the heating goes off it gets cold, so this time of year its sleeping bags with fleece blankets to keep warm. The Boxdrive retains its heat far longer and never gets as cold. The cab curtain is even heated. The heating rarely kicked in during the day either. 20 degrees is like a furnace though, so we found 17 to be comfortable. This really is an all year round camping companion, we will certainly use it throughout the winter.

On the whole, this is a very clever, quality vehicle throughout and I am delighted with it. All this for 62k, compared to either Gland Cale appears to be an absolute bargain!

If you have seen my image of me driving, then seen the image here of the cab, you will notice I now have a leather steering wheel. This is a stitch on cover (real leather) purchased on Ebay (came from China), cost £30 and approx one hour to fit, but has an almost factory look. I'm delighted with it!

I'm also delighted with my Wolfrace wheels, Knaus were charging £1,700 for 17" wheels, I got these for £500, plus the tyres. But I'm sure I can get more than that back for the steels it came with.

Reactions: DNR
A few questions if I may !
Can you sleep in bed in the upright / raised position ?
When its raised what dimensions are the space underneath ?
Can you show a photo of the third bed made up ?

I’m interested but want a 3 berth and garage - which with some DIY I could do in the by splitting the area under the main bed for a bunk for my daughter and a garage for my bikes !

A few questions if I may !
Can you sleep in bed in the upright / raised position ?
When its raised what dimensions are the space underneath ?
Can you show a photo of the third bed made up ?

I’m interested but want a 3 berth and garage - which with some DIY I could do in the by splitting the area under the main bed for a bunk for my daughter and a garage for my bikes !

Ive put it away now, but the bed height is roughly chest high. You could easily fit a couple of motorbikes under.

You can sleep up there, there are even slide out steps to get up there, but it wouldn’t be very wide as the cupboards narrow the space.

Im thinking of making a mid point position to give more space under the bed, but still use the double bed.

I will be working on it at the weekend, so will make the 3rd bed up and take some images. I’ll take images of the garage area too.

Looks nice... No sensors, but got the camera, so not needed
I’ve gone for the camera too but also like the reassurance on the parking beep. When I spec’d it I thought it was a bit odd they weren’t fitted as standard (on a 7m van) and not available as a factory add-on. I’ve decided to have VagTec fit them as a OE retrofit.

I’ve gone for the camera too but also like the reassurance on the parking beep. When I spec’d it I thought it was a bit odd they weren’t fitted as standard (on a 7m van) and not available as a factory add-on. I’ve decided to have VagTec fit them as a OE retrofit.
It’s the van that keeps on giving. Found this extra storage in the steps

Had to deal with rattle from the sliding door. Turned out to be the fly screen tapping against the door. Bit of sticky back foam sorted it

BB33F441-54B8-4EB0-A117-8C7AA25D919E.jpeg

Borrowed a sewing machine and managed to create this. Its not perfect but will keep the mattress in good shape.

King sized fitted sheet fits pretty well, then the mods with scissors and thread...

Have you taken delivery yet @itscalledbob ?

IMG_3869.jpg

Have you taken delivery yet @itscalledbob ?

Sadly not. Ive been to see the van but the dealer is awaiting the paper work so can register it. I would say it’s starting to annoy me but that point is well past! 86E66991-9554-41E7-91C1-FA7F9CF4A035.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks nice... No sensors, but got the camera, so not needed

Did your van come with a cat 1 alarm as standard? trying to get Knaus to answer the question nut they are being has helpful as usual....

Did your van come with a cat 1 alarm as standard? trying to get Knaus to answer the question nut they are being has helpful as usual....

I don't know is the honest answer. There is a red led blipping away when it is locked, so I guess there is.
I am still awaiting a manual to come through in a language I understand.

I have an alarm 'clock' going off daily at the mo. I was finding my way around the control panel and must have activated the alarm, but I can't de-activate it. I can change the time it goes off but not turn it off for good. I have been waiting on an answer from Knaus / Dealer for a week now...
I take it yours has still not hit the road? Mine was on the road within days of arriving in the UK, so I can't understand your delay...

I don't know is the honest answer. There is a red led blipping away when it is locked, so I guess there is.

I have an alarm 'clock' going off daily at the mo. I was finding my way around the control panel and must have activated the alarm, but I can't de-activate it. I can change the time it goes off but not turn it off for good. I have been waiting on an answer from Knaus / Dealer for a week now...
I take it yours has still not hit the road? Mine was on the road within days of arriving in the UK, so I can't understand your delay...

my dealer does not have access to the online system yet. Having to rely on the post.

I noted the German manual too, asked for a pdf so I can run it through translate..... still waiting .

I’ll let you know regarding the alarm if/when I’m told...

Any news on the the instructions? Another question if I may, what size gas bottle have you fitted?

Yes, received instructions yesterday. Very little information on the control panel, and nothing coming back from my dealer as to how to turn the alarm off, so I took it on myself to take the control panel off, unplug it. Removed the battery off the pcb, then plugged everything back in. Good news, the alarm has stopped. Bad news I have lost a load of functions off the display. I think it may need re-programming :(

Gas bottle is a 2.75kg 907. It only runs the two hob burners, so should last quite well.

Yes, received instructions yesterday. Very little information on the control panel, and nothing coming back from my dealer as to how to turn the alarm off, so I took it on myself to take the control panel off, unplug it. Removed the battery off the pcb, then plugged everything back in. Good news, the alarm has stopped. Bad news I have lost a load of functions off the display. I think it may need re-programming :(

Gas bottle is a 2.75kg 907. It only runs the two hob burners, so should last quite well.

Thanks for the prompt responce.

Oh, that doesn’t sound very good...

907, thought so. Bit disappointed....

Had a chat with DVLA yesterday and it would appear the Reg application has been rejected, seems someone in HRMC has messed up the NOVA paperwork.

Thanks for the prompt responce.

Oh, that doesn’t sound very good...

907, thought so. Bit disappointed....

Had a chat with DVLA yesterday and it would appear the Reg application has been rejected, seems someone in HRMC has messed up the NOVA paperwork.

You are having no luck!

I will reserve judgement on the 907 until it runs out. I have an outside BBQ point ready for fitting. I will fit it and get a gas man to hook it up... No doubt eat through my 907 a bit quicker :)

This weekends job, fitting an led outside light. And tinkering with my display, check fuses etc, make sure nothing obvious is amiss...

You are having no luck!

I will reserve judgement on the 907 until it runs out. I have an outside BBQ point ready for fitting. I will fit it and get a gas man to hook it up... No doubt eat through my 907 a bit quicker :)

This weekends job, fitting an led outside light. And tinkering with my display, check fuses etc, make sure nothing obvious is amiss...
They aren’t the most economical of gas options. Plus I found it difficult to replace in Germany and Spain. France however sell the refills in most large supermarkets.

Reactions: DNR
They aren’t the most economical of gas options. Plus I found it difficult to replace in Germany and Spain. France however sell the refills in most large supermarkets.

I have managed to finally Get my head around the alarm. You press the menu and alarm at the same time turning it from white to black.

Also fitted my outside light. Nice and bright, only just fits between awning and door. Pretty straight forward install, the light has a ‘touch’ switch, so just needed 12v power to hook into, took power from back of the usb out let next to control panel.

203D3061-ACD0-4343-A670-B1C93884B65F.jpeg

Hi Guys, disappointed to pick up the vibes about Knaus, I'm going to need them.....
As you know I imported and am going through the process of registration at the moment. Just before we left the dealer in Berlin for the journey home, at about 6pm, it was discovered the fridge would not work if the step was wired up. No choice but to disconnect the step and hit the road, for sorting out later.
So I put the van into Sunstore in Goring by Sea for solar panels, B2B manager, wi fi and tracker (brilliant, fantastic service, highly recommended) and they checked out the problem. Turns out the whole programming board has been 'programmed in reverse' (I don't know what that means either) and needs to be re-programmed. Not a big job, no great deal, just need confirmation it won't invalidate my warranty and also the relevant technical information. So have sent in an e-mail, as Sunstore did, to be met by silence. So might have a bit of a task here I think.....

Hi Guys, disappointed to pick up the vibes about Knaus, I'm going to need them.....
As you know I imported and am going through the process of registration at the moment. Just before we left the dealer in Berlin for the journey home, at about 6pm, it was discovered the fridge would not work if the step was wired up. No choice but to disconnect the step and hit the road, for sorting out later.
So I put the van into Sunstore in Goring by Sea for solar panels, B2B manager, wi fi and tracker (brilliant, fantastic service, highly recommended) and they checked out the problem. Turns out the whole programming board has been 'programmed in reverse' (I don't know what that means either) and needs to be re-programmed. Not a big job, no great deal, just need confirmation it won't invalidate my warranty and also the relevant technical information. So have sent in an e-mail, as Sunstore did, to be met by silence. So might have a bit of a task here I think.....

As far as I know the head of Motorhome for Knaus Uk is Mike Lake, you can email them here: knausuk@+++++.com

I don’t know how the warranty will work as you’ve imported it yourself... but would hope the warranty would be valid throughout Europe...

As far as I know the head of Motorhome for Knaus Uk is Mike Lake, you can email them here: knausuk@*+*+*+*+*+.com

I don’t know how the warranty will work as you’ve imported it yourself... but would hope the warranty would be valid throughout Europe...
Wow. Thanks. That is just excellent, saves me a long search. :)

Been following your posts re your new BoxDrive purchase as we are considering one ourselves. Have you taken delivery yet and what are your first impressions? Looking forward to hearing more of your views and experiences before we make our decision.

Back