Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why would you change from Deisel to Petrol EU10 spec

JohnGuppy

JohnGuppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
One thing we have over other EU members who make the rules for us , is It is our right to drive any vehicle on British roads that is roadworthy

I own a 1913 BSA 500cc motorcycle belt drive with gas lights ( no electric around in those days ) my bike has completed over 45 Epson to Brighton runs each march at 104 years old she still runs like new It will run on leaded petrol or unleaded petrol with no problems until it seems there is a new EU spec of fuel recently being introduced called EU 10 and it now contains More Ethanol
Unleaded was 10 % now increased to 20%
Super unleaded was 5% now 10%

Today I started getting my 1913 BSA Motorcycle out in preparation for the Epson - Brighton Run in March
With my new can of unleaded fuel I filled up the tank and immediately a reaction took place and all the fuel turned red and turned to treacle :Depressed it bubbled up and the paint started to pickle

Ethanol with dissolve rubber plastic and resin and react with Brass and good paint stripper

With steel petrol tanks over the years they get rust inside easy cure is to add a vanish inside the tank that up to now has been fine for the past 30years
To make things worse Ethanol is hydroscopic and can absorb water Hench fuel life is now only a few months
This has all come about since this change over to this new EU10 fuel

Today I looked and it seems Esso no longer inform you with a sign on there pumps

So if you fill your car up with petrol make sure you wear a thick pair of gloves as the fuel will burn your skin now with 20% methanol and strip your paint:(

When you lay up your mower make sure you add some really nasty additive to stop the fuel going off sold buy your lawn mower repair man to stop him making more money out of you each year

It seems that you can buy on eBay Ethanol removal kits ;)

or should I put in the shed and just look at it or as I intend I will drive it till I can ride any more if it breaks down I will mend it , "I will never surrender to our govement and EU rules " using these back door ways of keeping me and many others off the road do you think this is there cunning plan or just being a lap dog to the EU which we are leaving

Anyone know how to make leaded fuel or In leaded Ethanol:cheers free fuel

Its called AVGAS 100octane leaded fuel !!!! used in all light aircraft and Spitfires and Lancaster planes
and guess what there is a diesel engine Cessna plane

Trouble with avgas it burns valves out in quick time

One thing we have over other EU members who make the rules for us , is It is our right to drive any vehicle on British roads that is roadworthy

I own a 1913 BSA 500cc motorcycle belt drive with gas lights ( no electric around in those days ) my bike has completed over 45 Epson to Brighton runs each march at 104 years old she still runs like new It will run on leaded petrol or unleaded petrol with no problems until it seems there is a new EU spec of fuel recently being introduced called EU 10 and it now contains More Ethanol
Unleaded was 10 % now increased to 20%
Super unleaded was 5% now 10%

Today I started getting my 1913 BSA Motorcycle out in preparation for the Epson - Brighton Run in March
With my new can of unleaded fuel I filled up the tank and immediately a reaction took place and all the fuel turned red and turned to treacle :Depressed it bubbled up and the paint started to pickle

Ethanol with dissolve rubber plastic and resin and react with Brass and good paint stripper

With steel petrol tanks over the years they get rust inside easy cure is to add a vanish inside the tank that up to now has been fine for the past 30years
To make things worse Ethanol is hydroscopic and can absorb water Hench fuel life is now only a few months
This has all come about since this change over to this new EU10 fuel

Today I looked and it seems Esso no longer inform you with a sign on there pumps

So if you fill your car up with petrol make sure you wear a thick pair of gloves as the fuel will burn your skin now with 20% methanol and strip your paint:(

When you lay up your mower make sure you add some really nasty additive to stop the fuel going off sold buy your lawn mower repair man to stop him making more money out of you each year

It seems that you can buy on eBay Ethanol removal kits ;)

or should I put in the shed and just look at it or as I intend I will drive it till I can ride any more if it breaks down I will mend it , "I will never surrender to our govement and EU rules " using these back door ways of keeping me and many others off the road do you think this is there cunning plan or just being a lap dog to the EU which we are leaving

Anyone know how to make leaded fuel or In leaded Ethanol:cheers free fuel

Its called AVGAS 100octane leaded fuel !!!! used in all light aircraft and Spitfires and Lancaster planes
and guess what there is a diesel engine Cessna plane
I have two old brass cars that are the same age as your BSA. I have also been having problems with the new fuels. I keep getting fuel blockages which I suspect are being caused by these new modified fuels. It seems to scour the fuel tanks stripping all sorts of cr*p which in turn keeps blocking the inline fuel filters that I have had to fit. I have heard that it can also effect certain metal components over time. I also have a 1930s MG but haven't experienced any problems with that one yet. I'd better fit a filter to that before I get much older.

I don't know what the answer is at present. As you say, often fuel pumps don't state what type of petrol they are dispensing and I doubt if there would be any point in asking the person behind the till either. Garages that still sell suitable fuels for these older vehicles are now getting scarce.

On several occasions, I have read about WW2 aircrew running old bangers on 100 octane aviation fuel which they had somehow happened upon. These cars apparently went very well indeed but not for very long.

Can you run a standard car on Avgas?

I have a race bike setup for Avgas and it’s very sensitive to squish volume/compression. I believe it’s slower burning than normal unleaded so the ECU May object.

Apart from that, you’ll need a pilots license to get the stuff.

Well lucky me has a pilots licence
Running on Avgas will case no harm in the past a pint of paraffin per 5 galls works well

It does seem there are Ethanol removal kits being made for around £45 it seems in 5 galls you add a pint of water add this and the secret stuff shake it for a few mins let it settle , the ethanol and water sinks to the bottom and you drain it off and you are left with free ethanol fuel , the people selling these kits even make an incinerator to burn the waist
So you see there are so many classic owners in the uk and we will find a way to beat you are your own game and still run our vehicles

The T25 carburettor is full of brass , rubber , plastic so you see it will affect us all along with any 10 Year old car
On the BBC news the government have just closed the loop hole regarding the Particular filter removal for MOT , it is now an MOT fail if you have removed your filter and should have one

Can you run a standard car on Avgas?

I have a race bike setup for Avgas and it’s very sensitive to squish volume/compression. I believe it’s slower burning than normal unleaded so the ECU May object.

Apart from that, you’ll need a pilots license to get the stuff.
You could but its very expensive to buy and impossible to find

I have two old brass cars that are the same age as your BSA. I have also been having problems with the new fuels. I keep getting fuel blockages which I suspect are being caused by these new modified fuels. It seems to scour the fuel tanks stripping all sorts of cr*p which in turn keeps blocking the inline fuel filters that I have had to fit. I have heard that it can also effect certain metal components over time. I also have a 1930s MG but haven't experienced any problems with that one yet. I'd better fit a filter to that before I get much older.

I don't know what the answer is at present. As you say, often fuel pumps don't state what type of petrol they are dispensing and I doubt if there would be any point in asking the person behind the till either. Garages that still sell suitable fuels for these older vehicles are now getting scarce.

On several occasions, I have read about WW2 aircrew running old bangers on 100 octane aviation fuel which they had somehow happened upon. These cars apparently went very well indeed but not for very long.
Shell super unleaded has less in it 10% at present

avgas runs very hot and will burn out valves if you don't put something in it to reduce the octane content

Back