Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ahem, other car - change or not? Petrolheads only...

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Our BMW 335d Touring is now getting on a bit (56 reg, 46k miles) but still does a very fine job - fast, fairly good on fuel, good range, comfortable for cruising, bit of space in the back. But me being me, I'm getting itchy feet and hankering after a bit of petrol again.

Really like the look of the new M135i - 320bhp, 0-60 in 4.9s, makes a lovely noise and pretty cheap for what it is (starts at under £30k but it would be nearer £37k with a few must have toys). It would be smaller, have worse fuel range (almost the same mpg and amazingly, much lower emissions than our diesel BM - 175g/km), probably worse steering (electric as opposed to fully hydraulic), BUT it's a lot lighter, we could spec it up to have some useful modern tech (including the amazing ZF 8 speed auto) and it looks LOADS of fun.

An estate isn't essential as we have the Cali and no longer need to lug a buggy and baby kit around.

The only other option is an S4 Avant (has to be hatch or estate as we have a dog, plus two young kids) - drove a saloon recently and it was very nippy and comfy but probably not as much fun to drive (and the steering was a bit remote as always with Audis).

Any suggestions? We could of course keep the current car which is what the missus thinks we should do - boring!

We sold our Porsche and inherited our daughter's 2000 (that's year, not cc) Yaris when we got the Cali. Works for us. A new car is only new for 5 minutes and then the cycle starts all over again. Sorry to come down on the 'keep it' side, but I suspect your current car is actually a lot better than a one series. So that's my vote!

335d touring with 46 k ...sounds like its hardly been used fella ...I'm not a lover of BMW to be honest ,but did have a nice e46 m3 lightweight a good few years back that could make me smile .. A friend just traded in his 135i m sport rag top and lost more than his shirt on it ...I would rather look elsewhere for a little pocket rocket ,but we're all different :) ...

It surprises me but Audi's are the least reliable make of car in our carpark at work by a big margin.

Hmm - not looking good for the little BM!

I do miss petrol though even though the 35d unit is a cracking engine.

Hmmm...

There are few cars I dislike more than the 1 Sereis BMW - it's not that it is a bad car just hugely over rated.

It really is for people who have to have the BMW badge. Granted it is rear wheel drive but it is over priced, under equipped and not even that well made.

Whenever I see one I just think oh you really wanted that BMW Badge. There are plenty of cars which do it better for the same money.

James

I'm going to test drive a Dacia Duster next week! A proper semi-disposable unstoppable countryide commuter!

KernowLad said:
Hmm - not looking good for the little BM!

I do miss petrol though even though the 35d unit is a cracking engine.

Hmmm...

Stay a petrol head ..no real reason to get another oil burner ...!!!

Custard said:
There are few cars I dislike more than the 1 Sereis BMW - it's not that it is a bad car just hugely over rated.

It really is for people who have to have the BMW badge. Granted it is rear wheel drive but it is over priced, under equipped and not even that well made.

Whenever I see one I just think oh you really wanted that BMW Badge. There are plenty of cars which do it better for the same money.

James

Yep, I had that anti BMW image thing for ages but this car is rather special. It's trounced all sorts in group tests and does 0-100 in a pretty much supercar 10.5 seconds (ours takes a nadge over 13). It's getting glowing reviews everywhere.

Yep, viewed as "just a 1 series" it does seem a bit bonkers but then my mk4 R32 was "just a Golf" - that happened to have a 3.2 litre V6 and felt like a junior 911 C4 in the way it drove and felt (sort of).

However I do agree that a lot of 1 series BMs are driven by utter tools who think they 120d is a supercar and tailgate everyone - BMWs have a bad image and it's there for a reason. I ONLY look at the car and what it does and nothing this side of £50k will do what the M135i does. I honestly challenge you to find a hatch (or estate) that's anywhere near as quick, RWD (or rear biased 4WD) and fairly compact.

The opinions of you guys do matter though - that "poor image" could well mean they depreciate like a used Range Rover and their could be bargains to be had! :thumb

If any of you are interested (probably not)! here's a test of it against the £10k more Audi RS3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwecTp91-o

46k in 7 years? I'd think there's any benefit paying the diesel premium doing that kind of mileage. Def go back to an efficient petrol engine, I think diesel only really warrants the 15k miles a year plus bracket

A3 Sportback (RS3 :) ), or even a Golf for that matter are both spot on IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AndyFromTheBrac said:
46k in 7 years? I'd think there's any benefit paying the diesel premium doing that kind of mileage. Def go back to an efficient petrol engine, I think diesel only really warrants the 15k miles a year plus bracket

A3 Sportback (RS3 :) ), or even a Golf for that matter are both spot on IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We didn't get it for the mpg, we got it for the slightly loony torque and ease of fast cruising and very good reliability (faultless so far).

The range is handy but I'd have got a 335i if I thought it was a better package.

RS3 gets battered in tests by the M135i and costs £10k more. Check that vid!

I live in my A3 Sportback s-line. circa 100 miles a day '09 with 64k on the clock.

Was considering part x over christmas for similar. But have decided just to keep it for another 30k / 2 years and get the most from it.

I would drop on the keep side.

My next will be same again /without sport back or golf....whatever I can get a deal on as the Cali now performs the role of family transport.

KernowLad said:
Custard said:

James

Yep, I had that anti BMW image thing for ages but this car is rather special. It's trounced all sorts in group tests and does 0-100 in a pretty much supercar 10.5 seconds (ours takes a nadge over 13). It's getting glowing reviews everywhere.

Yep, viewed as "just a 1 series" it does seem a bit bonkers but then my mk4 R32 was "just a Golf" - that happened to have a 3.2 litre V6 and felt like a junior 911 C4 in the way it drove and felt (sort of).

However I do agree that a lot of 1 series BMs are driven by utter tools who think they 120d is a supercar and tailgate everyone - BMWs have a bad image and it's there for a reason. I ONLY look at the car and what it does and nothing this side of £50k will do what the M135i does. I honestly challenge you to find a hatch (or estate) that's anywhere near as quick, RWD (or rear biased 4WD) and fairly compact.

The opinions of you guys do matter though - that "poor image" could well mean they depreciate like a used Range Rover and their could be bargains to be had! :thumb

If any of you are interested (probably not)! here's a test of it against the £10k more Audi RS3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwecTp91-o

I like BMW's - my brother has a 5 Sereis and despite being a 58 plate it is a lovely car but it's a lovely car because it is being a BMW.

The 1 series in quick guises is a good car and the rear wheel drive does make it different but BMW like many makers, particularly the big German three are just making cars for any market. These days if there is a niche there is a vehicle and if there isn't they'll build a car anyway. The 1 sereis isn't quite that but would I have a 118d over a Golf or a well specced Focus, no, no way, why?

Performance versions maybe but the bread and butter models don't offer enough, if you are buying a base or low spec 1 series you're doing because you want that badge. That's fair enough but I'd want a bit more.

That's why like a loony I spent 30k plus on a yellow van that's less well equipped than a Caravelle.

James

The other question I wish I'd though harder about a couple of times is: 'if not now, when?' You get to a stage when you have to decide to keep a car for ever, and deal with the major periodic costs such as timing belt replacements, or change it before the biggies come along. Worst plan is to keep it just long enough to spend the money and then sell it. Obvious stuff, but I've been caught on the wrong end of that equation a couple of times.

I used to work for a company that always asked three things about decisions, and I think they were good questions:

- why do it?
- why do it now?
- why do it this way?

But that's all a bit rational and leads to worthy but dull decisions!

AndyFromTheBrac said:

totally agree ....our everyday driver is a petrol and wouldn't even dream about a diesel with it being cheaper allround to have a petrol ....

Those new M135i BMWs are great little cars.

Do a search on Youtube for the 'Drive' channel, and i'm pretty certain Chris Harris pitches one against the RS3.

The BMW wins hands down :thumb

EDIT: I think you've already posted the vid. I can't click on Youtube links at work :headbang

Don't get me wrong they sound great overall good engines with good power delivery and some give a great driving experience .... If was all the same we would have the sane cars and that would be so boring ,so knock yourself out ,as maybe for the money u get a lot of bang ....

choplee said:
AndyFromTheBrac said:

totally agree ....our everyday driver is a petrol and wouldn't even dream about a diesel with it being cheaper allround to have a petrol ....

When you look at some modern petrol engines the diesel argument does start to fall away. Look at the Ford 1.0 ecoboost engine. That's amazing, the motoring press are raving about it. For the kind of driving I do it would be my choice. I am sure we will see the petrol engine male
A determined comeback.

James

I was going to throw the RS3 into the mix before Andy beat me to it but with a couple of reservations.

It will need some software to make it the car it should be so that should be factored in. It is a little dated now as it's obviously based on the outgoing A3 platform which has now been totally replaced for the new VAG platform.

I don't know that the RS3 would have the room required for a couple of dogs and 2 kids every day of the week.

That said the RS3 quattro will panel your RWD 135 in an every day driving situation. Not to mention the current conditions. Ignore the published prices you see for RS3, I am hearing about some blistering deals being offered for new stock cars - Ask Oli.

I have to hold my hands up to knowing little about the 135 but I do hear it is a mental and well regarded car.

Had you thought about some software on the current motor and liven things up a little??

FWIW my A4 3.0 V6 TDi went a couple of months ago and i had a call this week to say it's replacement is now in the UK and ready for collection - Although I have deferred to 1st March.

What is it??

A1 1.4TSi 185hp S-Tronic with lots of toys :laugh2

BUT!! I don't need a big car, what I did fancy was burning some V-Power and having fun.

We had a 1 series a while ago and found that access and space in the rear was particularly restricted for a car of that class. I'd try your child seats in the back before you buy...

Sorry to bring practicality into the mix ;)

Different priorities though Lee. We bought it partly because of the effortless cruising ability not to save money on fuel. It does low 30s so not exactly thrifty but not bad for 300bhp.

If I wanted a small, economical car, I'd also go for petrol.

True u have to look at the whole picture to see what fits :)

KernowLad said:
Different priorities though Lee. We bought it partly because of the effortless cruising ability not to save money on fuel. It does low 30s so not exactly thrifty but not bad for 300bhp.

Would you go for manual or automatic though?

James

Custard said:
KernowLad said:

James

Auto for sure.

KernowLad said:
Custard said:
KernowLad said:

James

Auto for sure.

Manuals can be quite nice though?

James

Back