Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild Camping, kids and the "Dad, i need the toilet" question :-0

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
California, Love it. Had it two weeks -The open road is mine for the taking, Very excited...

Wild camping with two adults and needing the toilet, done it, easy peasy. We use the bivvy Loo, crystals and bag.

Now throwing two kids in the mix (mine are 5 and 10) how do you all cope in such a confined space?

Any hints would be fantastic because you know when you here the question "Dad, i need the toilet" you have a about a 10 minute window to find a toilet or its the end of the worldl!!!!! Not been wild camping with the kids, but really want to but already getting Cali toilet fear for the 3am - "Dad, i need the toilet" question.

Do you all just go in a portable toilet or do you have some toilet life hacks when not on a campsite or.....

Are campsites really only the sensible option when you are californing with children?

.....and hate to ask, because I like to think all cali owners only do wees but how do you all cope needing a Betty Boo, Four By two, No 2?

thetford-335.jpg

Proper flushing chemical loo. Fits in the cupboard under the sink, also very useful at beaches etc with no facilities, just pop the blinds down.

We have two children and wild camped watching the Tour De France last year. We have a Thetford porta potti which has been great. We leave it out in front of the kitchen cupboard at night - perfect spot!

We have two children and wild camped watching the Tour De France last year. We have a Thetford porta potti which has been great. We leave it out in front of the kitchen cupboard at night - perfect spot!
If you dont mind me asking, how long does it last before it needs emptying and how do you empty it wild cmamping?

I am writing this through gritted teeth hoping no one will recognise me! :talktothehand It usually lasts two days and two nights but wee elsewhere if possible........we did have to resort to doing number 2’s in bags at one stage when it was full! We were in France so emptied it at aires along the way.

I am writing this through gritted teeth hoping no one will recognise me! :talktothehand It usually lasts two days and two nights but wee elsewhere if possible........we did have to resort to doing number 2’s in bags at one stage when it was full! We were in France so emptied it at aires along the way.
No one saw you write that, its our secret. Thank you! :embarrased

"How long it lasts" is very vexed question for a chemical loo as you are not just disposing of the human waste but the chemicals it's been tipped into as well.

This makes it, or the user, being within reach of a disposal point every 2-3 days. It was wild camping in very remote locations far from disposal facilities for long periods of time that eventually persuaded me to go to BIAB rather than porta-potti. In those circumstances a shovel is also a useful accessory.

.....and hate to ask, because I like to think all cali owners only do wees but how do you all cope needing a Betty Boo, Four By two, No 2?
Assuming that ‘wild camping’ means far, far away in some really remote nick in the woods (and not some public parking alongside the road):
Porta potti for nightly wees
‘Here’s your little pioneer spade, good luck, kid!’ for everything else.

Always camp wild, always have these with me:

IMG_E4451.jpg I translate: "How to sh*t in the woods. For an environmental approach to a lost art" :happy
With no woods or public facilities around, (so really very rarely) I use the bags, which I hang in my reversed salon table ( https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...se-t6-ocean-interior.25087/page-5#post-302249 ). I have a brandnewThetford Porta Potti for sale btw. It just took too much space for such a rare use in my situation.

Last edited:
As per above , the thing you call “wild camping” (to me it’s just camping) how many of you actually did spent the night in the middle of nowhere without any facilitys in a wide range .....hmm now i got you thinking...how do i get to use my microwave or TV ...

Be responsible and make sure you leave nothing behind , be smart and get yourself a portable toilet .
Looots of existing threads on what there is on the market and people on here saying what they use/ pro&cons.

With 3 kids, we use a Thetford flushing toilet like the photo above.

At night, I locate it on the floor between the bed and front seats for any during the night emergencies!

I've definitely gone 3 or 4 days without emptying it and have never noticed a smell.

I keep it in the boot all summer and has been used loads whilst on days out.

The potty is for emergencies.
Blokes have it easier. We can go anywhere. But the wife....hmm
Number 2s are usually scheduled at pubs, cafes, public places.

You will never be remote in a California. No matter where you are in the world. But having a potty for emergencies does help.

I define wild camping/ rremote basically anywhere you are not on site and therefore do not have access to a toilet at night

Years ago I saw an ad in camping equipment,this guy invented the Shitbox! (said on the side of the box) so when I was working, (retired 3years now)I got hold of a spare recycle cardboard box which had the nice round looking toilet hole bit, I reduced it's height size to suit and lined it with a black bin bag! it folds flat too..But have never used it (wife don't trust it)and is still amongst my heap of c*** in the garage :D!

Now let’s face it, no one with a California is really wild camping, more just off the road perhaps. With a spade or entrenching tool, you can dig a small trench about 8” wide and at least12”, 18” ideally deep. Length depends on how long you will be there and count of people using it. Pile loose earth to one side. To use, feet either side and burn your toilet paper once used, as animals may dig it up. Sprinkle a small amount of earth over poo, no need to backfill. Clearly remember to refill the trench and retrieve the spade before you leave. Beware of fresh water springs etc and always locate many metres below these. Good idea to have a container with toilet roll, matches and hand gel in the van. This is your signal that the toilet is available. Don’t forget to leave no trace and be responsible.

Back