Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wind out Awning Sticking

S

Stephanie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, we have a T5 with the original awning and it has worked well until this year. Now if we wind it out to it’s full extension it sticks and won’t wind back again. If we wind out to almost full extension then it is fine. Does anyone have experience of this or can offer a solution please

I think it’s just what happens - the knuckle hinge in the arms locks out - a bit like standing and locking your knees. We have a 6.1 although i suspect the awnings haven’t changed. I assume if you push both hinge knuckles in, you can then wind in the awning?

We carry a long bit of rope so if only one of is winding it back it, we can pull the rope on the drivers end arm, and head but the arm at the rear, while winding in. Once started, it’s fine then.

I am sure someone must have a better trick!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my plea for help. Our problem is different to yours I think as moving the knuckles does not help.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my plea for help. Our problem is different to yours I think as moving the knuckles does not help.
Pictures would be helpful.
When you try to wind the stuck awning in, does the winder turn but the arms not move?
If so then it could be a faulty gear wheel in the gearbox. The whole gearbox is easily replaced.

Pictures would be helpful.
When you try to wind the stuck awning in, does the winder turn but the arms not move?
If so then it could be a faulty gear wheel in the gearbox. The whole gearbox is easily replaced.
Okay I am not sure a picture would help at this stage. My husband thinks that the fabric of the awning may have detached from the roller at one end and that if we only wind out to a certain width then we are okay as there is enough traction to wind back. Without dismantling the awing it seems difficult to diagnose. Also if he is correct then we are not sure how easy it is to fix. Thanks for your suggestion as its good to narrow it down.

Okay I am not sure a picture would help at this stage. My husband thinks that the fabric of the awning may have detached from the roller at one end and that if we only wind out to a certain width then we are okay as there is enough traction to wind back. Without dismantling the awing it seems difficult to diagnose. Also if he is correct then we are not sure how easy it is to fix. Thanks for your suggestion as its good to narrow it down.
You can purchase replacement awning fabric to replace, so if it is just a detachment it can be repaired or replaced completely.

Some reading.

I recently had the pleasure of dismantling my awning (2014 model) to remove the fabric for repair and cleaning. It is relatively straight forward to do. Just remember that the default position of the arms is fully extended, they have very strong springs and once the fabric is removed they swing about uncontrollably. Also, mark the position of the arm mounting points in the cassette housing, this will save fiddling when you remount it.

I dismantled mine off the van but you need plenty of room to do that and ideally a way of fixing the cassette above ground - I fixed mine in a couple of work benches in the garden. Oh, and when you come to put it back together don't get the fabric upside down... which I may have done. Spare parts are available but you will have to search them out for your specific model.

Given the cost of replacing these things, I would say it is well worth the effort of repairing it.

Good luck.