Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen external cover

As another said, can't say 100% it makes it warmer. But it can't be any worse, and the fact it prevents condensation is a big one.

Where they also come into their own is during hot weather where the can help cool the van. That i can 100% confirm.
No, couldn’t say we’ve noticed any difference in interior temperatures, but then we’ve never tested that aspect to any extent whatsoever...if it gets colder we turn the heater up!

What we have proved is that the insulation aspect is excellent. The Silverscreens are very well padded and we have no condensation on the interior screen and front door windows no matter how warm it gets inside the van compared to outside.

To be honest, we only use the the Silverscreen when it’s cold and dry as it’s bit of a ‘faff’ to put on if it’s raining. With our bus in the driveway I also use it when the bus is parked during the winter.

One other minor point is that once in position you have to slip off whichever side if you need to open a front door.

Nice 917 Mr sidepod...is that parked in your garage?
You may not have Condensation on the screen, but you do have it somewhere within the vehicle Unless you have adequate ventilation, in which case it won't matter what make/type of screen you use.
That is just physics I'm afraid.

You may not have Condensation on the screen, but you do have it somewhere within the vehicle Unless you have adequate ventilation, in which case it won't matter what make/type of screen you use.
That is just physics I'm afraid.

Using an insulated screen cover does substantially reduce the amount of condensation that builds up in the vehicle though. The big benefit is not having to mop the screen multiple times when you come to break camp. Another bonus, certainly with the T4 which has curtains rather than slide away blinds, is that it frees up the dashboard area for parking various camping paraphernalia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep true.
I have noticed without the external screen the Condensation in the morning is awful.

I’m guessing without the Silverscreen the windscreen becomes the coldest surface of the van at night. The warm air hits the screen from inside and collects condensation on the inside windscreen.

Therefore the SS must be insulating that windscreen if it prevents condensation build up on the inside glass surface.

Using an insulated screen cover does substantially reduce the amount of condensation that builds up in the vehicle though. The big benefit is not having to mop the screen multiple times when you come to break camp. Another bonus, certainly with the T4 which has curtains rather than slide away blinds, is that it frees up the dashboard area for parking various camping paraphernalia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Only increased ventilation will reduce Condensation. The water you breath out naturally has to condense somewhere. If not on the screen then the next coldest area, probably in the kitchen/wardrobe cupboards or behind the trim panels or even on the interior of the roof canvas. It’s somewhere. That’s just normal physics.
I don’t get windscreen condensation and just use the standard VW supplied blinds/curtains with/without the heater But I also use the Brandrup window vents or leave the cab windows open 2cms each side, protected by window deflectors.

I would suggest checking the rear of the kitchen cupboards/wardrobes etc next time you camp in cold weather with the Front Screen in place.

Yep true.
I have noticed without the external screen the Condensation in the morning is awful.

I’m guessing without the Silverscreen the windscreen becomes the coldest surface of the van at night. The warm air hits the screen from inside and collects condensation on the inside windscreen.

Therefore the SS must be insulating that windscreen if it prevents condensation build up on the inside glass surface.
More ventilation would solve that problem.

I’m sure the condensation is in there somewhere. However, having to wipe and clean down the screen before leaving camp is annoying.
The external screen packs away in less than a minute.

We could hook up at the next meet if you like for an experiment, see who breaks from camp first ;)

More ventilation would solve that problem.

Always sleep with windows cracked a fraction. That’s why I have wind deflectors.
I would imagine the condensation would be in the roof tent...???

I’m sure the condensation is in there somewhere. However, having to wipe and clean down the screen before leaving camp is annoying.
The external screen packs away in less than a minute.

We could hook up at the next meet if you like for an experiment, see who breaks from camp first ;)
We were at the March meeting in the snow. No condensation. Just the snow to clear.

We have been looking at wind deflectors any recommendations for the best type to fit a T5.

We have been looking at wind deflectors any recommendations for the best type to fit a T5.

Lots of other threads about this on the forum if you do a search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Silver Screens Paragon that I have used for 10yr and is still brilliant.
Without going into things one thing I will say is that my dad was recently in the market for one for his new van and he was extremely disappointed with the customer service. He ended up buying one from Taylormade-covers who were superb, even adding custom touches while he waited at no extra cost. Check them out before you buy.

A couple of mine fitted, you can see on the inside it wraps around the doors. No issues with wind deflectors either
ed37229f175db4570227ff790e6621e1.jpg
86201d0f4f9b8977bd9ebb6a3bd505f6.jpg
28ef0cb1e154402a23a345fceffa17bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Can anyone offer any opinions on the Brandrup screen cover which covers the windscreen only? I’m not keen on having to mess around every time I want to open a front door with the front and side covers (unless anyone can advise otherwise). Many thanks.

I can't comment on those but it really is no hardship having the sides, you open the door a couple of inches and just lift it off then slip it back over when your done.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Can anyone offer any opinions on the Brandrup screen cover which covers the windscreen only? I’m not keen on having to mess around every time I want to open a front door with the front and side covers (unless anyone can advise otherwise). Many thanks.
Yes! I have one.
The concept is good it provides blackout and stops windscreen condensation. Having the VW magnetic blinds for the doors combined with wind deflectors allows a good amount of airflow with the windows open a couple of inches. It's very compact BUT the material it's made of is not really up to being folded an the outer film separates from the foil inner where it folds. Having said that it still does the job.

I think this is a T4 question but anyone interested in an ultra compact windscreen and window cover for the T5/6 should consider these.

One of the best things we have bought - just £20, super compact, dries in minutes and covers the screen and side windows with total blackout:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113043343855?ul_noapp=true

img_4350-jpg.35312

I think this is a T4 question but anyone interested in an ultra compact windscreen and window cover for the T5/6 should consider these.

One of the best things we have bought - just £20, super compact, dries in minutes and covers the screen and side windows with total blackout:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113043343855?ul_noapp=true

img_4350-jpg.35312
That looks good for the price. Could probably stitch
some insulating material to the inside of the screen part and
its job done.

+1 for the Silverscreen. Had one for 8 years now. As good as the day we bought it, fits like a glove and comes with a waterproof bag for when you have to put it away wet. Don’t even consider any of the alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver screens. 5 mins tops to fit
Keeps van much warmer and NO condensation
About £80 from memory
Used in my t5 and perfect fit on t6

That looks good for the price. Could probably stitch
some insulating material to the inside of the screen part and
its job done.

Well, to be fair if you're after something insulating best to go 'silverscreen' route but these Fuel Lagoons ones are the ultimate no faff, compact solution purely as a blackout. You just need to heed the manual and not try and open the front doors with it fully fitted as fit is tight - we found in practise the velcro part under the mirrors did not really need to be used and this gives a bit more leeway in door opening.

Yup
Silverscreens are brilliant.
No condensation.
Makes the van lovely and dark at night
Attaches securely to the van
A doddle to put on.
...and if it pours down and it is wet through it really doesn’t matter. Mine often gets packed away wet. Nooo problem. However i wouldn’t store it wet when not in use for a long period just in case mildew decides to move in.
They are expensive but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. Doubt if I will tho because they are well made.

I’m glad Silverscreens are getting the recognition they deserve.
As said, they are made to last a lifetime.

Quality product at a reasonable price compared to other Cali specific accessories

Not experienced any of the others.....but cant really fault our comforts screen which came as a set with a topper. Design wise very similar to to the other and packs down nice and small and fits between our chairs.

I did notice there is a used one for sale in the 'for sale' area.
Does the topper solve the problem of the wind whistling through the top vents? I am thinking about getting the Rainbow topper having watched Shaun and Lizzie's vid on you tube, but as this problem is my main beef with my Cali, I want to make sure this topper will solve the problem. I wouldn't be able to get any sleep with the Comfort one flapping around in the wind, so that one's out, and I don't want an internal one.

Does the topper solve the problem of the wind whistling through the top vents? I am thinking about getting the Rainbow topper having watched Shaun and Lizzie's vid on you tube, but as this problem is my main beef with my Cali, I want to make sure this topper will solve the problem. I wouldn't be able to get any sleep with the Comfort one flapping around in the wind, so that one's out, and I don't want an internal one.
We have the Cali topper, and don’t experience any wind whistling through the vents, infact we don’t have any issues with it flapping about either. One advantage with the Cali topper is it acts like an outer (which it is of course) so providing a cavity for air to circulate to the vents

We have the Cali topper, and don’t experience any wind whistling through the vents, infact we don’t have any issues with it flapping about either. One advantage with the Cali topper is it acts like an outer (which it is of course) so providing a cavity for air to circulate to the vents
Which make do you have then? The Comfort one Shaun and Lizzie had sounded horrendous in the breeze and, as a bad sleeper, it would be a complete no no for me!

Back