Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

winter air

What a load of rubbish! Someone might actually believe this "winter air" farce.

We always use Londonderry Air as it’s a nice mix and what tyre noise there is is somehow sweeter.

Is anyone running on autumn air I’ve heard it’s a mixture of the winter and summer air that helps with the cooler overnight temp but also helps with the warmer days compared to winter. Do you need a 50/50 mix around the middle of the county say Birmingham and maybe a 70/30 mix the further south you go. I can imagine a 20/80 mix required for the far north of the uk.

Is anyone running on autumn air I’ve heard it’s a mixture of the winter and summer air that helps with the cooler overnight temp but also helps with the warmer days compared to winter. Do you need a 50/50 mix around the middle of the county say Birmingham and maybe a 70/30 mix the further south you go. I can imagine a 20/80 mix required for the far north of the uk.

I think there is a mix calculator app you can download , the calculations look quite complex to do manually.

Spring Air really helps with the suspension.
Only if you have standard setup.
Does it work as well with the lowered suspension?
And what do you need in the air suspension? No one ever mentions this?

Isn't that a bit late? Or do you have a big storage tank?
Each spring I leave the winter air under my pillow and the tooth fairy exchanges it for summer air. When she delivers it back it the fall, she and Santa coordinate so Santa knows how much to leave me for a yearly top up.

In previous years I used to adjust my behaviour to make sure that Santa would leave me a year's supply of coal for the Bbq, but this is no longer considered to be environmentally correct.

Last edited:
Don’t forget it’s time to remove your winter air if you haven’t already done so, is anyone planning to store theirs for use later this year?
I prefer to refresh mine.

We just use helium year round. Improves payload and mpg and it’s fun to take a whiff from the top-up cylinder before you speak with French customs.

These days I just leave winter air in winter tyres & summer air in summer tyres. I did try swapping it round one year and got in total mess, left me feeling totally deflated.

These days I just leave winter air in winter tyres & summer air in summer tyres. I did try swapping it round one year and got in total mess, left me feeling totally deflated.
I prefer spring air; it’s so much more... springier ;)

In order to avoid a mismatch, I prefer HGV "heavy duty" all seasons air for my XL all season tyres. You can only get it from garages with HGV air pumps and unlike normal car air it lasts longer between checks.

This time of year I switch to Helium in the front and Spring air in the rear. It helps the weight distribution and provides a near perfect 50/50 chassis balance.