Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Campsite recommendations

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I wondered if people would recommend UK sites which are particularly good in the winter - either for their facilities and/or close to attractions/towns etc.

We want to do some weekend trips during the winter but finding inspiration difficult..... Anywhere in the UK would be fine.

Thats a bit optimistic innit, have you not heard of that beer
virus that's floating around?

Edit- I do like an optimist though :thumb

You've got to be optimistic......even if not this winter, would be useful to have recommendations for the future. We've been able to visit some sites in Wales recently......

Camping and caravan club might have a few open, pubs with
a carpark could be better. You just have to do a bit of research
of the area.
We have fell into a few cracking pubs that didn't mind us sleeping/parking
up on the carpark.

Almost any CAMC site with it's heated washrooms :)

CCC site at Canterbury ... very close to town, walkable, but stop outside door almost, £5 taxi to some nice restaurants in the evening.

Almost any CAMC site with it's heated washrooms :)

CCC site at Canterbury ... very close to town, walkable, but stop outside door almost, £5 taxi to some nice restaurants in the evening.
Are restaurants open?

Are restaurants open?
The whole of Kent is in Tier 3. Was Tier 1 before lockdown #2 & then comes out in Tier 3. Go figure.
So you'll have to procure any scotch egg in the supermarket, I'm afraid! :(

Mortonhall near Edinburgh. We go every year at end of November and enjoy the Christmas market in Edinburgh. Not this year

There’s a regular bus into the city up the road. Clean facilities and a good pub with food on site.
Take levellers and wellies.

Mortonhall near Edinburgh. We go every year at end of November and enjoy the Christmas market in Edinburgh. Not this year

There’s a regular bus into the city up the road. Clean facilities and a good pub with food on site.
Take levellers and wellies.

Sounds great but living in England I think we are unable to cross the border, only essential travel? Can someone advise please.

Tudor caravan park in Slimbridge is open all year. It is fairly rural but near the bird sanctuary and a canal for walks. Not too far from Bristol.

Sounds great but living in England I think we are unable to cross the border, only essential travel? Can someone advise please.
I don't think you would be welcomed at this time. I know that the restrictions are a pain but rather than risk even more intolerance toward campervans I would wait till things are much improved.

Yes, you are right. This is the first year we haven’t gone there in many Christmases.

here’s the legal bit:

Probably not.

Kent is probably in tier 3.

Travel a few miles west though and may be able to pick up a scotch egg in a pub somewhere.
Kent is Tier 2

Kent is Tier 2
I wondered if people would recommend UK sites which are particularly good in the winter - either for their facilities and/or close to attractions/towns etc.

We want to do some weekend trips during the winter but finding inspiration difficult..... Anywhere in the UK would be fine.
Check out Clippesby Hall in Norfolk. It’s an amazing place and has a great club house with wood burning stove and pizza oven.

Maybe a bit far but Big Sand Campsite nr Gairloch (NC 500) open this winter.

Highlands End (Eype, Dorset) is open throughout and is a lovely site on the Jurassic Coast. Their facilities are closed over Christmas and Year, to give the staff a break, so you'd need on board WC/washing if you wanted to stay over that period.

Once covid is over id recommend grantown on spey (scotland). Stayed there one Hogmanay and the facilities were really good. Got to about -3 degrees overnight. Lots of walks nearby and can walk into town for food and pubs.

Exmoor House, Dulverton - CAMC site

Riverside site just a short stroll from the (lovely) town centre

Brackenrigg Inn near Pooley Bridge, Lake district Micro Brewery good food and lovely area, free overnight parking if you use the Pub.

We cannot go either from Highland, its illegal sadly, great site Morton hall.
Be nice to see family but I am sure 1 missed Christmas is not the end of the world. Spring will be the time.

Cirencester Caravan and Motorhome Club site is open over winter, with a 15/20 min walk in to town where there are lovely pubs and shops, great museum etc. - there's even a Roman amphitheatre across the road! During the day you can walk in through a lovely park in to the town. Nice warm and clean shower blocks as always with the CAMC. I believe Gloucestershire is in Tier 2 but you'd better check that..

Just back from a long weekend at the Old Oaks Glastonbury site. Would really recommend the site. Very good social distancing rules being applied. Toilet/Shower blocks are probably the best we've ever used on a site.
The entire site was spotlessly clean, staff really knowledgeable about the area - local walks and cycle routes etc and very friendly.

Even had an Indian takeaway meal delivered to the site on Sunday night which was delicious

Not a Cali I know, but our van just after pitching up

PXL_20201204_155159240~2_Original.jpgPXL_20201204_161101642_Original.jpgPXL_20201204_162413571_Original.jpg