Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyres for T6

P

Peggy Sue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
CAN ANYONE ADVISE BEST WINTER TYRES FOR HERE IN UK FOR SNOW AND ICE? :):)

CAN ANYONE ADVISE BEST WINTER TYRES FOR HERE IN UK FOR SNOW AND ICE? :):)
I had Michelin Alpin 5 on my 2WD van and drove up and over a steep mountain pass in deep fresh snow which had fallen overnight with no problem. They did wear out quickly though.

I had Michelin Alpin 5 on my 2WD van and drove up and over a steep mountain pass in deep fresh snow which had fallen overnight with no problem. They did wear out quickly though.
By the way I replaced them with Bridgestone A005 all season tyres. These do well on the tests, but also give a firmer ride, and I’ve had a puncture up a forestry track. Many people recommend the Michelin cross climate all season tyres, which do slightly less well on the tests but people seem to like them. Not sure if true winter tyres are worth the hassle of changing them on and off in the UK.

By the way I replaced them with Bridgestone A005 all season tyres. These do well on the tests, but also give a firmer ride, and I’ve had a puncture up a forestry track. Many people recommend the Michelin cross climate all season tyres, which do slightly less well on the tests but people seem to like them. Not sure if true winter tyres are worth the hassle of changing them on and off in the UK.

Not as good in this test ?

Not as good in this test ?

2018 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test

Following on from the 27 all season tyre braking shootout, Auto Bild have published their excellent 2018 all season tyre test. Testing the best ten 195/65 R15 all season tyres from the braking test, Auto Bild have done an incredibly thorough job putting all the tyre patterns through the usual array or dry, wet and snow testing.

The New Tyre
The most interesting part of this test must be the inclusion of the new Bridgestone Weather Control A005, as it's the first time this new tyre has featured in a full all season tyre test.
If you're just looking at the results as the overall standings, you'd be forgiven for dismissing the Bridgestone as a purchase option, but for the most of the UK this new tyre might actually be one of the BEST options for year round motoring in the UK.
Why? Because it has significant advantages in wet and dry braking, even beating the dry master the Michelin CrossClimate+, and matches the excellent performance in dry and wet handling. While it's snow performance is it's weakness, it's still significantly better than the reference summer tyre in the test. With the UK climate being dry or wet 99% of the year, the balance of performance the Bridgestone offers is more acceptable to our climate than it is to the German testers.

Thank you for your swift reply.....that gives me lots to think about, thanks.

Thank you for your swift reply.....that gives me lots to think about, thanks.

Of course location in the U.K. &even local terrain might influence decision as to which allseason tyre to go for. Personally I prefer a bias towards wet performance and with better than most snow handling.

Just back from blizzard conditions in Val d'Isère and Val Thorens in the Cali, which performed impeccably on its winter tyres, without chains. Interesting that T6s seem to be the vehicle of choice for many of the hotels and transfer companies in the Alps. We are running Bridgestone Blizzak tyres on all 4 wheels. Happy on both fresh powder and ice - the performance is extraordinary if you haven't tried snow tyres before and inspires real confidence. Biggest issue was the occasional white-out, which the best tyres in the world won't fix. We keep the Bridgestones on simple steel rims and have our local garage swap them over in December then. back again in April - once set up it's dead easy and a millions times better than faffing about with chains..!

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this. I have been looking and cannot seem to find the size we need.......I.e. 235/55Z R17. have you put yours on different rim sizes?

Just back from blizzard conditions in Val d'Isère and Val Thorens in the Cali, which performed impeccably on its winter tyres, without chains. Interesting that T6s seem to be the vehicle of choice for many of the hotels and transfer companies in the Alps. We are running Bridgestone Blizzak tyres on all 4 wheels. Happy on both fresh powder and ice - the performance is extraordinary if you haven't tried snow tyres before and inspires real confidence. Biggest issue was the occasional white-out, which the best tyres in the world won't fix. We keep the Bridgestones on simple steel rims and have our local garage swap them over in December then. back again in April - once set up it's dead easy and a millions times better than faffing about with chains..!
Thanks so much for this, very helpful. Did you put the tyres on a different rim size maybe? I cant seem to find these tyres in the size on the van at the moment viz: 235/55Z R17. Skiing this year sounds like fun!

Thanks so much for this, very helpful. Did you put the tyres on a different rim size maybe? I cant seem to find these tyres in the size on the van at the moment viz: 235/55Z R17. Skiing this year sounds like fun!

Hi Peggy,

Summer tyres are the factory fitted low profile Hankooks on R18 alloys.

Winter tyres are Bridgestone Blizzak 205/65 R16 on basic pressed steel R16 wheels. They don't look very pretty but they get the job done - as an added bonus you get 4 months each year when you don't need to worry about kerbing the alloys when parking in town. I bought some chains for the latest trip, just to be on the safe side, but never felt the need to put them on despite very heavy snow at times. Maximum depth of the snow was probably about 10cm. Best of luck - I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Try a search for 235/55/17 103 Don't put a 'Z'in

Make sure load rating is minimum 103. Higher is great but don’t go lower.

Where did the Z come from?
Also, you will not be able to use 16" wheels if you have the larger HP engine or upgraded brakes on the lower HP engines as 16" wheels won't clear the larger front brakes.

For future users. Ignore the Bridgestone A005. I had these for a few years now and wear rate is horrific on the front on the Cali. 9 to 11k miles. Front is now on a third set and there are now other options available in the 255/45 18 size.

If I was on 18" rims I'd probably go for the Pirelli with its seal inside for nail type puncture protection.
235/55/18 104V. slight gain in road speed over 255/45/18's
Not recommending Blackcircles merely showing the tyre and price.

Interesting. Thanks. A bit of tyre research going on at the moment. I havent looked at that tyre yet