Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How many Cali owners fit winter tyres?

I bought a set of 5 winter tyres all directional, so decided to mount the spare for the near side as that is the side my tyre fitter said he deals with the most punctures on. Not very scientific I know but it was either that or flipping a coin. If it's required on the offside I'm sure it'll get me to a tyre fitters to get it changed round.
Don't you mean 'get you to the tyre fitters to get the puncture repaired or tyre replaced and put the spare back as a spare'?;)

Don't you mean 'get you to the tyre fitters to get the puncture repaired or tyre replaced and put the spare back as a spare'?;)
Yea that or whatever as long as I keep rolling :thumb

Just picked up some ratty but sound genuine VW steelies from the bay and ordered 4 Bridgestone Blizzak W810's from Oponeu in Poland. The European mainland dealers have a much wider choice of tyres I found. The reviews seem ok. My issue now is do I accept scruffy wheels for a few winter months or attempt to paint them before fitting. Indolence might win :).
Isn't that the rat look? It's all the rage with the splittie brigade.

i-RsnpG3Q-X2.jpg

I got back from La Plagne in the French alps on Christmas eve. I was surprised by the difference the snow tyres made. I drove on packed snow, slushy snow, patchy ice and very cold wet roads and the van felt rock solid. A few sharp braking experiments felt as sure footed as dry tarmac. I bought 4 x Bridgestone Blizzak W810 205/65 R16 107 T C from Oponeo online and had them fitted locally to my "rattie" ebay 16" steels. I bought a set of chains to les Gendarmes happy but I never felt I needed them. Rims £50, Tyres £320 + local fitting.

I have just had fitted 4 new Goodyear vector All Season to my Cali 4motion.
Oh my word, what a difference its like driving a new vehicle completely. Ride softer and quieter, very happy. :thumb

Hi, want to fit Goodyear Vectors to our T6 Cali Ocean 4 Motion before trip to Alps in March. Saw this warning on the website. Does it matter??

“ This specific tyre has a:
Higher speed index
The specifications of this tyre differ from those indicated in your vehicle’s manufacturer documentation. You should verify in your vehicle’s manufacturer documentation if this tyre may be mounted on your vehicle and if using this tyre is permitted under your local laws and regulations. You should also comply with all applicable requirements of your local laws and regulations and not exceed the specifications of this tyre as well as those indicated in your vehicle’s manufacturer documentation in terms of speed and load”

Thanks, Jonathan

Hi, want to fit Goodyear Vectors to our T6 Cali Ocean 4 Motion before trip to Alps in March. Saw this warning on the website. Does it matter??

“ This specific tyre has a:
Higher speed index
The specifications of this tyre differ from those indicated in your vehicle’s manufacturer documentation. You should verify in your vehicle’s manufacturer documentation if this tyre may be mounted on your vehicle and if using this tyre is permitted under your local laws and regulations. You should also comply with all applicable requirements of your local laws and regulations and not exceed the specifications of this tyre as well as those indicated in your vehicle’s manufacturer documentation in terms of speed and load”

Thanks, Jonathan

Higher is ok, lower would not be. Are you going for the 235 width?

Just picked up some ratty but sound genuine VW steelies from the bay and ordered 4 Bridgestone Blizzak W810's from Oponeu in Poland. The European mainland dealers have a much wider choice of tyres I found. The reviews seem ok. My issue now is do I accept scruffy wheels for a few winter months or attempt to paint them before fitting. Indolence might win
that is where all the nicked spares have ended up.?

Higher is ok, lower would not be. Are you going for the 235 width?

Most tyre web sites seem to suggest that a lower speed rating is acceptable for a winter tyre. One of the settings on the the MFD is for winter tyres & you can put a speed limit warning in place for the appropriate maximum speed.

Hi

Not being an expert, I thought I’d just replace like for Luke and change the existing tyres that came with the van. At the moment the van is fitted with 235/55R15. Is this size compatible with snow chains. As someone has mentioned before, you do need to satisfy the Gendarmes!

* like for like .... not sure where Luke came from

Hi

Not being an expert, I thought I’d just replace like for Luke and change the existing tyres that came with the van. At the moment the van is fitted with 235/55R15. Is this size compatible with snow chains. As someone has mentioned before, you do need to satisfy the Gendarmes!

I would fit 215 wide for chains, clearance issue with 235's has been covered on the forum previously. On my T5 I have 215 / 60 / 17 winter tyres. Are you sure you have 15" wheels on a 204HP 4 Motion?

I would do as I did and buy chains in France. Carrefour in Cite Europe in Calais had a big range of sizes and prices as do most bigger supermarkets in France at this time of the year.

8b6c3260024e790812239fbc14bab84e.jpg

2nd time this season: I get used to it
I have never owned or had cause to need snow chains but never the less I am a little curious. I assume that they don't ever cause any damage to the tyres, wheels or the vehicle. Am I correct? Do they stay in the same position on the wheel/tyre or do they move around a little under use? How easy are they to fit? Also, how effective are they when used on heavy compacted snow and ice?

I have never owned or had cause to need snow chains but never the less I am a little curious. I assume that they don't ever cause any damage to the tyres, wheels or the vehicle. Am I correct? Do they stay in the same position on the wheel/tyre or do they move around a little under use? How easy are they to fit? Also, how effective are they when used on heavy compacted snow and ice?

I am no expert however when you have the correct chain size, the chain never touches any part of the van. When buying (winter)wheels they often mention if they fit with chains (no problems so far). My chains are easy to fit and they stay in the same positionI hope they do not harm the tyres It‘s only allowed to drive 50km/h max.
I used them to drive uphill on a fresh slippery road (where you had to wear them/have 4x4) however I more likely used them to drive down to have some extra grip.
Sorry, a lot of guessing but to sum up: I am happy I have them with me in snowy conditions up- and downhill.

I tried them on again in the garage and found two parts which may cause some trouble:
d70b818b3075baa1ddc801510725e0c3.jpg
0c98f1e0e3d8faca040f9d391beef0ab.jpg

Here you connect the chain together to form a circle. It is already rusty because of the salt I guess.
To put them on it takes about 5min (so total 10min).
Here‘s another point: It‘s important to wear the chains corrwctly otherwise it will touch the wheel and is useless (the blue parts should always be on the sidewall of the tyre)
89687fdaec1d79ceb09c31b0802ca1e0.jpg

And about price: They are okay to me but there might be cheaper ones.
a3f5e8762f56cede707c26aa6b0d7079.jpg

Back