Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winterising your Cali

GreatResigner

GreatResigner

Done sending emails
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We don’t expect to be using our Cali too much over winter and I am looking for a cover to go over the whole vehicle to protect it from the elements. Has anyone got any advice on a good brand that is available? Also any general information on how to “winterise” your vehicle, if not planning to use it that much over the winter months.

I would imagine ensuring that the fresh and waste water tanks are drained is key, due to the risk of freezing.
i'm always unsure of covers due to their risk of paint damage to be honest

I wouldn’t cover the whole vehicle. Get a cold night followed by mild and humid weather and you’ll get condensation everywhere and it’ll struggle to escape quickly if the vehicle covered. If the vehicle is uncovered airflow will help reduce that and also allows the vehicle temp to change more quickly. The parts of the vehicle open to the elements are designed to deal with rainfall - the biggest corrosion risk with winter is taking it out on a salty road then parking it up covered in salty water - best to rinse off underneath in that situation or drive it once it’s rained and the roads are salt free. Just make sure drain holes etc are unblocked and running free.

I wouldn’t cover the whole vehicle. Get a cold night followed by mild and humid weather and you’ll get condensation everywhere and it’ll struggle to escape quickly if the vehicle covered. If the vehicle is uncovered airflow will help reduce that and also allows the vehicle temp to change more quickly. The parts of the vehicle open to the elements are designed to deal with rainfall - the biggest corrosion risk with winter is taking it out on a salty road then parking it up covered in salty water - best to rinse off underneath in that situation or drive it once it’s rained and the roads are salt free. Just make sure drain holes etc are unblocked and running free.

is there a diagram showing where the drain holes are please?

is there a diagram showing where the drain holes are please?
Waste tank drain is on the N/S below the rear edge of the kitchen window.
Water tank drain is below the gas holder and it drains out onto the plastic undershield. Where it drains of the shield onto the floor beneath depends on the orientation of the vehicle.

Are there any drain holes in the body / doors / bootlid etc that we need to ensure are clear?

I know, for example, that there are on Crafters and Sprinters as the clips that hold the plastic side trims let water in and the drain holes let it out. Blocked drain holes resulting in corrosion is not cleared on these. i wondered therefore if the VW Transporter also had similar drain holes ?

I was actually referring to drain holes as in to let rainwater drain away; think there are four on the roof gutter, one in each corner (probably only accessible when the roof is up), then two on each sliding window (but I think only one of them is accessible).

We don’t expect to be using our Cali too much over winter and I am looking for a cover to go over the whole vehicle to protect it from the elements. Has anyone got any advice on a good brand that is available? Also any general information on how to “winterise” your vehicle, if not planning to use it that much over the winter months.
In addition to draining the fresh and waste water tanks I would also drain the reservoir tank in the Porta Potti if you have one, or move it indoors. The flush pipe can split and become detached if it freezes.

Covers can create issues with water retention on the bodywork and they can rub on the paintwork , when the wind dictates , particularly where they tie down.
Think carefully before adding a wet nylon layer that will rub the bodywork.
cover are useful in protection from leaves etc from settling on paintwork , but the cover should be removed extremely regularly

Last edited:
Good quality tailored and breathable covers are the only ones to go for if you decide to go down that route. Try Specialized covers or Protec. Do make sure the van is spotlessly clean and dry before fitted the cover.

Good quality tailored and breathable covers are the only ones to go for if you decide to go down that route. Try Specialized covers or Protec. Do make sure the van is spotlessly clean and dry before fitted the cover.
They won’t get wet or rub honestly

the problem is physics , wet, friction = wear and corrosion

They won’t get wet or rub honestly

the problem is physics , wet, friction = wear and corrosion
Decent covers are very soft on the inside but it must be clean to stop debris acting like grinding paste when cover gets wet and moves. It depends were it’s being stored, out in the open may be ok, under a tree with leafs and birds its a different matter. Only the user can decide what is right for them. Personally, in my situation I don’t bother with covers but there may be other factors.

Thanks to everyone who responded here. Very helpful information. I am now minded to return the cover I ordered as I agree that the costs outweigh the potential benefits of any cover. I will inspect the drain holes and maintain if necessary. Part of my decision here is based on the fact that my Cali is not parked under any trees.

Are there any drain holes in the body / doors / bootlid etc that we need to ensure are clear?

I know, for example, that there are on Crafters and Sprinters as the clips that hold the plastic side trims let water in and the drain holes let it out. Blocked drain holes resulting in corrosion is not cleared on these. i wondered therefore if the VW Transporter also had similar drain holes ?

I am still interested to see if there are any of these body drain holes that we should be keeping clear as well. Many thanks

I am still interested to see if there are any of these body drain holes that we should be keeping clear as well. Many thanks
Drain tanks AND the tap - see Handbook or follow wires from tap, underside of tap R upper kitchen cupboard, and disconnect plug / socket found tucked up on the R side of the sink and then open tap...
Check roof drains front and rear.
Lift wipers off windscreen, don't forget rear wiper. Use corks or similar to hold arms up.
Handbrake off, in Park and use chocks.
Disposable Dehumidifiers good hardware shop or Internet.
Plug into EHU monthly.
Fire up Parking Heater for an hour each month as suggested by the maker Eberspacher.

Many thanks, so ignoring the water system, other than roof drains and side window drains there are no other drains to pay attention to. None in the bottoms of doors / tailgate for sills for example?
Many thanks
Colin

Many thanks, so ignoring the water system, other than roof drains and side window drains there are no other drains to pay attention to. None in the bottoms of doors / tailgate for sills for example?
Many thanks
Colin

Not to my knowledge, and I would be careful with the sliding window drains, very easy to damage and cause a leak.
Q. I presume you have a 2nd vehicle. What do you do with that over winter, apart from drive it?

I read elsewhere that for storing a vehicle for the short term :
1. Very Large, well ventilated, garage.
2. Outside Car port roof.
3. Outside well away from trees with rear to prevailing wind.

Not to my knowledge, and I would be careful with the sliding window drains, very easy to damage and cause a leak.
Q. I presume you have a 2nd vehicle. What do you do with that over winter, apart from drive it?

My Cali is now my main vehicle. I also have a Sprinter which has drains in the bottom of all 5 doors and sills, hence my question.
Many thanks WelshGas :)

My Cali is now my main vehicle. I also have a Sprinter which has drains in the bottom of all 5 doors and sills, hence my question.
Many thanks WelshGas :)
Most vehicles have such drains and I don’t know of anyone who checks them for the winter specifically. A simple pipe cleaner will ensure they are clear, once a year, possibly, but not specifically for winter.

Cover my Saab with a car cover from Halfords for 5 months of the year.
No rubbing, soft lining, no mould in the car, just a tiny bit on the seats and seatbelt where the hands go.
But highly reccomended.

Depending where you live rodent damage could be a risk if your cali is parked up for an extended period during winter. Lots of posts on this site covering that issue.

Looked for the drains, think l found them. Used a cotton bud to check they were clear but lost the bud! I am a donkey...

Looked for the drains, think l found them. Used a cotton bud to check they were clear but lost the bud! I am a donkey...
Lost bud in front or back drains?

Front near side...
Pity. Front are the tricky ones - with an easy to separate but concealed and hard to access connection in the pipe.

Others will be more expert than me, but my initial thoughts are to try gently to suck it out from above with vacuum whilst sending gentle air pressure up the pipe from the scuttle (under bonnet below windscreen). The pipe discharges there into a tray area before continuing down another pipe to an outlet below the car.

If you can still see it then perhaps, with a steady hand, some fine strummer cord with a touch of superglue on the tip might enable you to get it out.